Hard drive not showing files though they still exist

A short while ago I partitioned my Wester Digital 160g
7200 RPM hard drive (had about 20+ gigs unallocated
because the hard drive was bigger than windows XP could
recognize without a particular service pack, which i
later got) so it was now the original C drive (from the
original HDD), the D drive (which was the original drive
created from the added hard drive in question) and the H
drive (new partition from the added hard drive).

A few days after creating the partition, i opened the d
drive (where i have one folder for music, one folder for
backed up programs/files and not in folders were many
files waiting to be backed up on disk) and found that the
only thing in it was a small portion of files waiting to
be backed up.

I could search every hard drive for missing files (even
in hidden and system folders) but no track would be found.

However, if i look at the drive properties, all the hard
drive space is still used.

Not only that, but I run a file server that sends files
from this drive (every file on the server is one that is
now "missing") to whomever requests them. Even though
they are effectivly non-existant on my computer at this
point, my server is still capable of sending the files.

I need access to these files pronto so i need a solution
that will, preferrably, not wipe them out.

I tried restarting, it did nothing.
I tried a system restore but it told me that the hard
drive was either turned off or not monitored by system
restore (i tried anyway but neither the d or h drives
were listed in "my computer" after word so i unrestored)
I tried checking the cables to the hard drive, did nothing
I tried running a disk cleanup, returned a bunch of
unreadable sectors,deleted a few things...when done,
again, nothing was different.

I am now out of ideas, so I hope this is enough info to
help someone help me.

oh, and the partition that i created has had NO problems
throughout this endeavor with the exception of not being
found when i did the system restore.

Hi, Windfall.

You don't mention Disk Management. What does that tell you about your HD?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Windfall" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A short while ago I partitioned my Wester Digital 160g
> 7200 RPM hard drive (had about 20+ gigs unallocated
> because the hard drive was bigger than windows XP could
> recognize without a particular service pack, which i
> later got) so it was now the original C drive (from the
> original HDD), the D drive (which was the original drive
> created from the added hard drive in question) and the H
> drive (new partition from the added hard drive).
>
> A few days after creating the partition, i opened the d
> drive (where i have one folder for music, one folder for
> backed up programs/files and not in folders were many
> files waiting to be backed up on disk) and found that the
> only thing in it was a small portion of files waiting to
> be backed up.
>
> I could search every hard drive for missing files (even
> in hidden and system folders) but no track would be found.
>
> However, if i look at the drive properties, all the hard
> drive space is still used.
>
> Not only that, but I run a file server that sends files
> from this drive (every file on the server is one that is
> now "missing") to whomever requests them. Even though
> they are effectivly non-existant on my computer at this
> point, my server is still capable of sending the files.
>
> I need access to these files pronto so i need a solution
> that will, preferrably, not wipe them out.
>
> I tried restarting, it did nothing.
> I tried a system restore but it told me that the hard
> drive was either turned off or not monitored by system
> restore (i tried anyway but neither the d or h drives
> were listed in "my computer" after word so i unrestored)
> I tried checking the cables to the hard drive, did nothing
> I tried running a disk cleanup, returned a bunch of
> unreadable sectors,deleted a few things...when done,
> again, nothing was different.
>
> I am now out of ideas, so I hope this is enough info to
> help someone help me.
>
> oh, and the partition that i created has had NO problems
> throughout this endeavor with the exception of not being
> found when i did the system restore.

Disk Management says it is active and healthy with the
correct amount of space used (assuming the files are
there).

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:17:41 -0700, "Windfall"

>A short while ago I partitioned my Wester Digital 160g
>7200 RPM hard drive (had about 20+ gigs unallocated
>because the hard drive was bigger than windows XP could
>recognize without a particular service pack, which i
>later got) so it was now the original C drive (from the
>original HDD), the D drive (which was the original drive
>created from the added hard drive in question) and the H
>drive (new partition from the added hard drive).

Do you have 3 optical drives?...E, F, & G?

What files system did you use on each partition?

Your post is very confusing...or I need more coffee! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.