A7V880 BIOS and 1394 conflict.

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 1:48:54 PM

I have an A7V880, Crucial RAM, Matrox G550 AGP video card, an Audigy
Sound Card (with firewire port onboard), and a Athlon 2800+ CPU. I
have tried both XP, XPSP1 and XPSP2.

My problem is this. With the sound card in any PCI slot I cannot get
Adobe Premiere (v6.0, 6.5 or Elements) to capture video correctly. The
video drops frames at a near 50% rate. The other thing is that if the
sound card is in one PCI slot it will NOT even detect the Sony
DCR-TRV460 as a FW device, but in other slots it detects it, but the
dropped frame rate is phenomenally bad (nearly 50%). I have
successfully done this process in an A7V600 with all the same hardware
(and more) and never saw a problem enumerating the camera OR capturing
video. I have contacted the following tech support departments to no
avail so far: ASUS, Creative Labs, Microsoft and Sony. ASUS has been
the most helpful but needs information from Creative Labs to continue.

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks in advance!!
dbmdude

PS I have looked into the hotfixes by Microsoft and none fixed the
problem.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2005 2:48:19 PM

Please .... anyone got any info on this problem?
January 28, 2005 6:11:12 AM

In article <1106765334.793551.281240@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"dbmdude" <dbmdude@cheerful.com> wrote:

> I have an A7V880, Crucial RAM, Matrox G550 AGP video card, an Audigy
> Sound Card (with firewire port onboard), and a Athlon 2800+ CPU. I
> have tried both XP, XPSP1 and XPSP2.
>
> My problem is this. With the sound card in any PCI slot I cannot get
> Adobe Premiere (v6.0, 6.5 or Elements) to capture video correctly. The
> video drops frames at a near 50% rate. The other thing is that if the
> sound card is in one PCI slot it will NOT even detect the Sony
> DCR-TRV460 as a FW device, but in other slots it detects it, but the
> dropped frame rate is phenomenally bad (nearly 50%). I have
> successfully done this process in an A7V600 with all the same hardware
> (and more) and never saw a problem enumerating the camera OR capturing
> video. I have contacted the following tech support departments to no
> avail so far: ASUS, Creative Labs, Microsoft and Sony. ASUS has been
> the most helpful but needs information from Creative Labs to continue.
>
> Anyone got any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance!!
> dbmdude
>
> PS I have looked into the hotfixes by Microsoft and none fixed the
> problem.

Try the following:

1) BIOS - PCI Delayed Transaction [Enabled]
This is a PCI bus optimization, where a slow PCI device is "polled"
until its response is ready. Faster PCI device operations
can occur while waiting for the slow device to respond with
its data. This improves overall PCI bus bandwidth available to
the user.
2) BIOS - PCI Latency Timer [32]
This timer, AFAIK, defines the maximum time that a bus master
may sit on the bus. Lower values mean that multiple PCI devices
will share the bus more fairly. A lower value means a low bandwidth
PCI devices can do the cycles it needs, in the presence of a
high bandwidth PCI device.
3) PCI slots. The IRQ table in the manual says PCI slot 1 (nearest
the processor) and PCI slot 3, don't share an interrupt signal
with any other devices. Placing your sound card in one of those
two slots, should allow the lowest interrupt service latency.
I would use slot 1, as at least no other card in a PCI slot
can preempt a card in slot 1.

In cases in the past, there have be interactions between Firewire
chips and certain disk controllers. It seems some RAID controllers
that sit on the PCI bus, will cause dropped frames, and it might
even be caused by a poorly written driver, as much as the hardware
itself. You may have to experiment with how your disk drive is
connected to the computer, to get a configuration that doesn't
drop frames. For example, you might even find a USB2 connected
disk works better than what you are doing now.

You might want to install the latest Via 4-in-1 hyperion driver,
to take advantage of any chipset patches issued by Via for their
chipsets. http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
Look for a "chipset" driver.

As far as I can see in Google, the firewire port on the Audigy
seems to work for people, so I don't necessarily see the need
to purchase yet another separate Firewire controller card, to
fix this problem.

Please post back if any of the above helps, as others can benefit
from your experiences.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2005 6:11:13 AM

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote

> 3) PCI slots. The IRQ table in the manual says PCI slot 1 (nearest
> the processor) and PCI slot 3, don't share an interrupt signal
> with any other devices. Placing your sound card in one of those
> two slots, should allow the lowest interrupt service latency.
> I would use slot 1, as at least no other card in a PCI slot
> can preempt a card in slot 1.

Unless it picks up static from the video card next to it, or boxes in the
video card's heat and thus stresses it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/