P4P800SE how to enable Ultra DMA 6??

Hey there, I have an Asus P4P800SE Mobo, I'm happy with it
And I have a WDC 200GB SATA HD.(WD2000JD)something like that..
Now this HD supports Ultra DMA mode 6
So when I booted up I go into my bios, go to where my hd setting is and
I switch it from "auto" to UDMA6 and it says its supports it.
ok then I save my settings.. reboot to my windows xp pro..
I go into device manager,, locate my hd and still mentions it on
UDMA5??....
I used a HD program to test my speeds and it also says it currently
active on mode UDMA5 and says it supports UDMA6..

Can someone help me enable ultra dma mode 6 properly??..

Thank You!!!

--
mikeylbl

Paul

Splendid

In article <mikeylbl.1jjdvn@news.computerbanter.com>, mikeylbl
<mikeylbl.1jjdvn@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

> Hey there, I have an Asus P4P800SE Mobo, I'm happy with it
> And I have a WDC 200GB SATA HD.(WD2000JD)something like that..
> Now this HD supports Ultra DMA mode 6
> So when I booted up I go into my bios, go to where my hd setting is andI
switch it from "auto" to UDMA6 and it says its supports it.
> ok then I save my settings.. reboot to my windows xp pro..
> I go into device manager,, locate my hd and still mentions it onUDMA5??....
> I used a HD program to test my speeds and it also says it
currentlyactive on mode UDMA5 and says it supports UDMA6..

> Can someone help me enable ultra dma mode 6 properly??..
>
> Thank You!!!-- mikeylbl

Intel chipsets only support up to UDMA5.

See page 43:
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/25251601.pdf

"The IDE interface supports PIO IDE transfers up to 16 Mbytes/sec
and Ultra ATA transfers up 100 Mbytes/sec."

On page 183, it says:

"The ICH5 Ultra ATA/100 logic can achieve read transfer rates
up to 100 MB/s, and write transfer rates up to 88.9 MB/s."

which means it isn't even exactly ATA100 either.

HTH,
Paul

Do you have SP-2 installed? In my case my ATAPI drive showed up as Mode 5
before SP-2 and after installing SP-2 it showed as Mode 6.

John