A8N and SATA dvd drive

Is anyone running an A8N SLI mainboard with SATA dvd rom drive?

I just got a Plextor px716sa drive and every time you put a disc in, the
computer freezes.

The drive is recognised fine and I am running a SATA hard drive with no
problems.

Any ideas please?

Athlon 64 3000
A8N mainboard
2 gig corsair ram
western digital raptor hard drive
plextor DVD drive - PX716SA
Windowns XP pro
3 answers Last reply
More about sata drive

    Be sure that you SATA Connector support Cd ROMs.

    Some SATA Controllers only support HDDs and no other devices.

    Frank

    "Ken" <Too much Spam> wrote in news:10virsmo92jlk20@corp.supernews.com:

    > Is anyone running an A8N SLI mainboard with SATA dvd rom drive?
    >
    > I just got a Plextor px716sa drive and every time you put a disc in, the
    > computer freezes.
    >
    > The drive is recognised fine and I am running a SATA hard drive with no
    > problems.
    >
    > Any ideas please?
    >
    > Athlon 64 3000
    > A8N mainboard
    > 2 gig corsair ram
    > western digital raptor hard drive
    > plextor DVD drive - PX716SA
    > Windowns XP pro

    I have this exact same DVD rom drive in my A8N-SLI Deluxe.

    I have my Plextor PX716SA connected to the Silicon Image SATA controller on
    the motherboard, as my Nvidia SATA connectors are all controlling hard
    drives.

    I have had no problems with the computer freezing due to the Plextor (I am
    having a system freezing issue due to SLI).

    Only issues I've had with the Plextor is that the PlexTools will not run
    properly - I get an error every time I try to load it, and it won't find
    any drives (including a Plextor SCSI that I have). Plextor has not been
    able to figure out why it refuses to run on my system.

    Aside from that, the drive itself works fine, although I cannot boot from
    the Plextor (even if I select it properly in the BIOS).

    Ken,
    I have almost the same setup. I have the 74GB raptor drive on the
    nvraid bus and I also put my px716sa drive on that same bus because I
    have 3 200GB sata diamondmax10's on the way that I plan on running in
    raid5, so I didn't want to put the 716SA on the SiI bus. I am getting
    the same issue with putting a CD in.

    I have done a bit of searching but so far this is the only other
    occurrence that I have found.

    Let me know if you find a solution.

    -Jason

    --