Help! Lost my dvdrom and my burner.

My computer does not detech my dvdrom or my burner. They both worked fine up
to and including last Sunday. Running XP Pro. I tried a restore point and it
did not fix the problem. Went back further and did another restore point but
it would not work. I sence discovered I had 3 Trojons. Removed them . I
tried a repair install of XP using my 98 start up disk with cdrom support.
This did not fix anything. My next step is to try a complete install of XP
over the top of XP that is running now.
I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling both units but get the message
that windows ran into problems in the instalation and they still don't work.
Can anyone give me any advive, or does anyone know a simple fix to my
delima?
Thanks, Allan..

Try:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

I know you didn't just install XP, but it may still apply ;)_

----
Nathan McNulty