A8N SLI Dx Dual Channel Memory

I thought I saw some posts here not long ago about someone who had two
DIMM's in an A8N SLI that were not running dual channel. So, this leads me
to ask how do I know if I'm getting the full bandwith and speed out of my
memory? Is there a way to tell if my 512x2 3200 Kingston memory is
operating in the dual channel mode?

P.S. Don't shoot me if I have some of the terminology wrong here. I've been
out of the pc guts hobby for a few years. Just received my Cyberpower pc
with:
A8N SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 4000+
EVGA 6800GT (only one for now)
1 gig memory
Hitachi 250gb SATA
Logitech Cordless Duo
500 Watt Aspire PS
Nemisis Elite case (quiet, big fans, lots of led's, shiny black finish,
clear side, aluminum, glowy cables, lcd fan monitor/control, ...
Logitech z5300 5.1 speakers
Samsung dual layer DVD writer
Sony DVD Rom
And I have to say I'm happy as spit. After all these years, I've never had
a pc that ran everything so well and still has room to grow. Nice job on
the motherboard especially.

Dark Helmet

Ed

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:38:58 -0500, "Dark Helmet" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I thought I saw some posts here not long ago about someone who had two
>DIMM's in an A8N SLI that were not running dual channel. So, this leads me
>to ask how do I know if I'm getting the full bandwith and speed out of my
>memory? Is there a way to tell if my 512x2 3200 Kingston memory is
>operating in the dual channel mode?
>
>P.S. Don't shoot me if I have some of the terminology wrong here. I've been
>out of the pc guts hobby for a few years. Just received my Cyberpower pc
>with:
>A8N SLI Deluxe
>AMD 64 4000+
>EVGA 6800GT (only one for now)
>1 gig memory
>Hitachi 250gb SATA
>Logitech Cordless Duo
>500 Watt Aspire PS
>Nemisis Elite case (quiet, big fans, lots of led's, shiny black finish,
>clear side, aluminum, glowy cables, lcd fan monitor/control, ...
>Logitech z5300 5.1 speakers
>Samsung dual layer DVD writer
>Sony DVD Rom
>And I have to say I'm happy as spit. After all these years, I've never had
>a pc that ran everything so well and still has room to grow. Nice job on
>the motherboard especially.
>
>Dark Helmet

Try CPU-Z ?
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Ed

> AMD 64 4000+

That will have hurt the wallet :)

Rob.

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> nice sounding rig...did you remortgage or win a lottery?

Had not bought a new pc since 1990. I've been an upgrader over the years,
motherboard one year, graphics card the next, etc. Finally, about 2-3 years
ago I stopped upgrading. So, I decided what the hell, I had not bought a
new pc in almost 15 years, why not get a damn good one?

> dl the Everest Home zip version..is a standalone..then under
> motherboard...chipset ...is where the dual channel info is.

Thanks, it looks like it's running fine.

> Enjoy that rig
> too.

I am! I admit that I bought it thinking of the future and not having to
upgrade as quickly. However, I did only put in 1 6800gt card, and I was
regretting that. Now, after having this rig for a few weeks, I don't really
regret it. Everything currently out runs at high resolutions and high
quality at great frame rates. I don't know what the 2nd card would offer at
the moment. It would be nice to have, but $500 to go from 80fps to 120fps?

One more question, though. In perusing the EVEREST info, I found this entry
under the chipset/NForce4 Northbridge area:

"PCI Express Controller
PCI-E x2 port #3 In Use @ x4"

I expected it to say "x16" and not "x4". Am I missing something here? When
the pc arrived, I noticed that the SLI configurator board was installed for
dual cards, so I reversed it.

Thanks all

Dark Helmet

Dino

the only thing I see on EVGA's site is that the card is 16x compatible...so
maybe the card is only at 4x...check the speed in the display properties and
in BIOS..maybe there is a setting.

"Dark Helmet" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
>> nice sounding rig...did you remortgage or win a lottery?
>
> One more question, though. In perusing the EVEREST info, I found this
> entry under the chipset/NForce4 Northbridge area:
>
> "PCI Express Controller
> PCI-E x2 port #3 In Use @ x4"
>
> I expected it to say "x16" and not "x4". Am I missing something here?
> Dark Helmet

I have an A8N-SLI with 6600GT PCI-e and Everest also reports the same
"PCI-E x2 port #3 In Use @ x4"

You have to have the DIMM -pairs- in -same colored- slots. The manual
seems to say the opposite of this.

If you want to check, disable the pretty POST graphic and the BIOS will
tell you your basic system specs on every boot, including whether or
not your RAM is running in dual or single channel.

TRENDING THREADS