Video Driver from Windows Update

This makes two times now that Windows Update has screwed
me! Stop wondering why people don't update.

The problem: after installing a new video driver for an
evga fx-5700 ultra (nvidia) the card no longer works
properly. Games say they require a card that supports
Multi-texturing, directX 8, and HW T & L (like Black Hawk
Down).

I've tried reverting back to the old driver, loading the
newest drivers from both evga & nvidia. Any driver other
than the Windows Update driver no longer works (well
very, very bad performance).

I can't help but think that somehow Windows Update tied
the the video card driver update to an AGP driver update
and that now only the two will work together. Am I
making any sense? I know just enough to be dangerous ;-)

My brother and I built basically the same pc (ASUS P4C-
800E Deluxe mobo/P4) but his problem is even worse. His
screen goes batshit and he has to restart playing "Eve".

Dear God, please help us!

Intel Drivers:
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/7484/eng/infinst_enu.exe

nVidia Drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.76

nVidia Driver Remover:

----
Nathan McNulty

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

"----- Victimizer -----" wrote:

> This makes two times now that Windows Update has screwed
> me! Stop wondering why people don't update.
>
> The problem: after installing a new video driver for an
> evga fx-5700 ultra (nvidia) the card no longer works
> properly. Games say they require a card that supports
> Multi-texturing, directX 8, and HW T & L (like Black Hawk
> Down).
>
> I've tried reverting back to the old driver, loading the
> newest drivers from both evga & nvidia. Any driver other
> than the Windows Update driver no longer works (well
> very, very bad performance).
>
> I can't help but think that somehow Windows Update tied
> the the video card driver update to an AGP driver update
> and that now only the two will work together. Am I
> making any sense? I know just enough to be dangerous ;-)
>
> My brother and I built basically the same pc (ASUS P4C-
> 800E Deluxe mobo/P4) but his problem is even worse. His
> screen goes batshit and he has to restart playing "Eve".
>
> Dear God, please help us!

dl

Do NOT use winupdate for any drivers
(Now you know why)

"----- Victimizer -----" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:797401c476a6$fba2b690$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> This makes two times now that Windows Update has screwed
> me! Stop wondering why people don't update.
>
> The problem: after installing a new video driver for an
> evga fx-5700 ultra (nvidia) the card no longer works
> properly. Games say they require a card that supports
> Multi-texturing, directX 8, and HW T & L (like Black Hawk
> Down).
>
> I've tried reverting back to the old driver, loading the
> newest drivers from both evga & nvidia. Any driver other
> than the Windows Update driver no longer works (well
> very, very bad performance).
>
> I can't help but think that somehow Windows Update tied
> the the video card driver update to an AGP driver update
> and that now only the two will work together. Am I
> making any sense? I know just enough to be dangerous ;-)
>
> My brother and I built basically the same pc (ASUS P4C-
> 800E Deluxe mobo/P4) but his problem is even worse. His
> screen goes batshit and he has to restart playing "Eve".
>
> Dear God, please help us!

Exactly. That's one thing I hate about Windows Update. I love the new
interface and capabilities (except that you can't mimize it). They've
done a great job, but the driver section either needs to be scrapped or
they need to work things out with manufacturer's and put up their WHQL
Certified drivers.

Wouldn't it be great to get the latest WHQL ForceWare Drivers from
Windows Update or the latest Catalyst drivers? No, that would be too
good of an idea, so it'll never happen.

----
Nathan McNulty

DL wrote:
> Do NOT use winupdate for any drivers
> (Now you know why)
>
> "----- Victimizer -----" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:797401c476a6$fba2b690$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>
>>This makes two times now that Windows Update has screwed
>>me! Stop wondering why people don't update.
>>
>>The problem: after installing a new video driver for an
>>evga fx-5700 ultra (nvidia) the card no longer works
>>properly. Games say they require a card that supports
>>Multi-texturing, directX 8, and HW T & L (like Black Hawk
>>Down).
>>
>>I've tried reverting back to the old driver, loading the
>>newest drivers from both evga & nvidia. Any driver other
>>than the Windows Update driver no longer works (well
>>very, very bad performance).
>>
>>I can't help but think that somehow Windows Update tied
>>the the video card driver update to an AGP driver update
>>and that now only the two will work together. Am I
>>making any sense? I know just enough to be dangerous ;-)
>>
>>My brother and I built basically the same pc (ASUS P4C-
>>800E Deluxe mobo/P4) but his problem is even worse. His
>>screen goes batshit and he has to restart playing "Eve".
>>
>>Dear God, please help us!

dl

I believe a few drivers on winupdate have been corrupt, I have seen reports
from both Nvidea and Silicon Image stateing not to install the winupdate
drivers.
Beside which the drivers from the chip maker may differ from the drivers
supplied by the hardware supplier.
eg ATI state they do not supply Mobile Radeon drivers

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Exactly. That's one thing I hate about Windows Update. I love the new
> interface and capabilities (except that you can't mimize it). They've
> done a great job, but the driver section either needs to be scrapped or
> they need to work things out with manufacturer's and put up their WHQL
> Certified drivers.
>
> Wouldn't it be great to get the latest WHQL ForceWare Drivers from
> Windows Update or the latest Catalyst drivers? No, that would be too
> good of an idea, so it'll never happen.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> DL wrote:
> > Do NOT use winupdate for any drivers
> > (Now you know why)
> >
> > "----- Victimizer -----" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:797401c476a6$fba2b690$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> >
> >>This makes two times now that Windows Update has screwed
> >>me! Stop wondering why people don't update.
> >>
> >>The problem: after installing a new video driver for an
> >>evga fx-5700 ultra (nvidia) the card no longer works
> >>properly. Games say they require a card that supports
> >>Multi-texturing, directX 8, and HW T & L (like Black Hawk
> >>Down).
> >>
> >>I've tried reverting back to the old driver, loading the
> >>newest drivers from both evga & nvidia. Any driver other
> >>than the Windows Update driver no longer works (well
> >>very, very bad performance).
> >>
> >>I can't help but think that somehow Windows Update tied
> >>the the video card driver update to an AGP driver update
> >>and that now only the two will work together. Am I
> >>making any sense? I know just enough to be dangerous ;-)
> >>
> >>My brother and I built basically the same pc (ASUS P4C-
> >>800E Deluxe mobo/P4) but his problem is even worse. His
> >>screen goes batshit and he has to restart playing "Eve".
> >>
> >>Dear God, please help us!

Both ATI and nVidia don't like to provide their mobile graphics card
drivers. They claim you need to get those through the computer
manufacturer. There is a good (yet bad) reason for this. Some OEM's
will actually underclock the core/memory of mobile video cards to keep
the heat down and make sure the systems are fully stable. I find this
really offensive that the Go5200 is rated at 300 MHz for the core and
only comes at 100 MHz for the core if purchased with a Dell. I know the
stupid thing is a crippled mobile card built off old GeForce 3
technology, but still, that is rediculous.

Anyways, NEVER use Windows Update Drivers. That's just the way it is :)

----
Nathan McNulty