Intel's Bargain 330-Series SSD Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]those prices seem to be more in line with current standards, than a "bargain"; will be interesting to see benches.[/citation]
Ya, it doesn't seem much cheaper than the current 520 pricing. But if the performance holds up then it could very well be a bargain.

[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]So what controller do these have?Is it SandForce? Marvell? Or did Intel come up with a 6GB/s controller of their own?[/citation]

I hope it's Intel's controller - it's been very reliable on the 320 drives.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The popular going guess is that it's an SF controller, only paired with asynch NAND. Something like:

Intel 520 : Intel 330 :: OCZ Vertex : OCZ Agility

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]powellbyron238[/nom]my neighbor's half-sister earned $12767 last week. she been making cash on the laptop and moved in a $539000 house. All she did was get blessed and put into use the guide reported on this web site http://www.lazycash1.com[/citation]

Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star. Lone Starr: What? Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Lone Starr: What's that make us? Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.[/citation] Funny, but next time you quote something like that, you might want to actually delete the link instead of further posting the most likely virus infected website...

joescalon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
[citation][nom]markymark5005[/nom]Crucial m4 is cheaper and they DO perform better!http://goo.gl/Lc0j4[/citation]

I'm confused your link shows a 155$ 128 GB hdd, with same read and only 175 write?? so how is that outperforming and cheaper?

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfreak[/nom]OCZ and other manufacturers easily outperform this one. Bad job Intel.[/citation]
lol for you and everyone here: Intel is in another league when looking for reliability. No maker can compare, especially OCZ (read countless pages on forums from people with dead practically new SSD-s). Oh, and maybe max. read of large files is not as fast, but reading of small files is just as fast as any other maker. Case closed!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
intel is known for their reliability, if these drives dont skimp on that, they very well are a bargin price, considering intel drives are significantly more costly usually.

acoriano

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Bargain? I dont get it.... SSD are all a rip-off, i dont care how fast or how cool they are, i will not buy one till they effectivly get bigger and cheaper.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
the biggest bottlenech is HDD. Obviously you never tried SSD. No amount of ram, speed of cpu and so on will help you if HDD si loading random small files 10.000x times slower than the next thing waiting in line (ram). SSD for system and demanding apps, HDD for storage. It's as simple as that.

Sell your computer and buy a cyrix 486 from scrapyard. everything else is a ripoff for you...

acoriano

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I stated in my comment that i knew SSD's are fast and expensive, HDD is good enougth for me,
SSD's dont make my games have better FPS only makes the loading screen faster, and i don't care if my game loads in 3 secs or in 10.

you don't know me how can you say i think everything is a ripoff?
Its my opinion and i got the right to express it.
Get a life loser.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
With RAM so cheap no, SSD is hardly a good choice too. SSD is good for overall system performance, but I personally think SSD should cost 1/3 of what they are now. Base on a 64bit win7 taking up huge portion of capacity now. anything small than 256GB is going to very tight. Apps these days easily take up a few GBs. IMO, 256gb is the min amount for most people without using an additional HDD for app storage.

lol at people say OCZ is faster blah blah blah, biggest weak point of SSD is reliability + cost, this is what Intel is attacking now.

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
SSDs are very good choices for people who buy computers for them to be snappy. SSDs don't just speed up booting and loading games/software. It speeds up installation and virtually anything that depends on Windows.
Also, the use for SSDs:
60GB --> OS drive (if you're really disciplined) OR as cache, using Intel Smart Response Technology in Z68 and Z77 chipset based motherboards
128GB and above --> OS drive

If your PC is setup correctly immediately following Windows' installation, you should have absolutely no trouble keeping your SSD clean and relatively empty.
That said, the need for a conventional HDD is not gone. You definitely need one for storage (movies, pictures, downloads, documents, old games, old applications, etc.)

While I completely agree that no amount of RAM or CPU power can come close to the difference the SSD makes in a relatively similar system, prices need to drop for them to become essential for all builds. For now, it's a delicacy that's well worth it! :D

Hopefully, the 320 will be comparable in reliability to the 520. That alone can and probably will be its selling point.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]With RAM so cheap no, SSD is hardly a good choice too. SSD is good for overall system performance, but I personally think SSD should cost 1/3 of what they are now. Base on a 64bit win7 taking up huge portion of capacity now. anything small than 256GB is going to very tight. Apps these days easily take up a few GBs. IMO, 256gb is the min amount for most people without using an additional HDD for app storage. lol at people say OCZ is faster blah blah blah, biggest weak point of SSD is reliability + cost, this is what Intel is attacking now.[/citation]
Windows, Adobe suite, Office, utilities, and browsers take ~30-40GB, which makes 60GB plenty large for the average person's system drive.
I have a 60GB OCZ Solid 3 in my wife's system that is nearly 6mo old and have had no problems with it. I recently caught a 240GB Agility 3 on sale for $220 (after rebate) at my local Microcenter, and have had no problems with it. With OS, Adobe, Office, utilities, documents, pics, and music on the drive I am at ~100GB (games and adobe temp files will fill up the rest of it), and then bulk stuff like movies and project files are on traditional HDDs.

Is Intel nicer? Absolutely. Is OCZ as fast as others on the market in real world performance? Nope. Is there a chance for needing to replace the OCZ sooner than an Intel drive? Sure, that is what backups are for. But the OCZ drives are dirt cheap (especially with sales/rebates), they are generally reliable now (most complaints are from drives sold over a year ago before the current firmware fixes), and they are worlds faster than HDDs. If someone relied on their computer for their bread and butter then I would suggest Intel all day long, but for most of us OCZ is just fine.

Besides if OCZ was as bad as a few people say they were then they would not still sell like hot-cakes, and they would not have and overall 4 of 5 egg average on sites like newegg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.