unknown processor type

I'm a nubie with XP and just completed building a new
computer - Abit nf7-s v2 , amd xp 2400 mobile, 1G ddr
etc...
The problem I have is "Unknown processor type" showing up
for the CPU. Is there an AMD .inf file or somthing like
that I may have missed?

I should mention that the OS was originally installed on a
different Mobo/CPU. I have not run XP "repair". Would
running "repair" do any good. What would "repair" do to my
installed programs?
Rodger

| I should mention that the OS was originally installed on a
| different Mobo/CPU. I have not run XP "repair". Would
| running "repair" do any good. What would "repair" do to my
| installed programs?
| Rodger

Hi Rodger -

The Repair Install will leave all of your installed programs and most of
your personal settings intact.

You will, however, need to reapply Windows XP SP1 (if your original CD
doesn't include it) and visit Windows Update and apply all of the updates
released since SP1.

It's possible that, because you are running a mobile CPU on a desktop-based
motherboard, your CPU may not be correctly identified. As long as it's
listed with the correct speed (FSB times multiplier) you should have no
problems. It will never be correctly identified in your system BIOS and
you'll have to manually enter the FSB and multiplier.

Jef

Thanks Jef,
I have the cpu OCed to 2.2G and FSB @ 400. As long as the
OS or other installed PGMs don't key off of this "unk cpu
ty" , I'll leave well enough alone.

I've been scanning other messages and have started to
wonder about "hyperthreading". Is this an Intel only thing
or do I need to check APCI?? in the BIOS?
Rodger

| Thanks Jef,
| I have the cpu OCed to 2.2G and FSB @ 400. As long as the
| OS or other installed PGMs don't key off of this "unk cpu
| ty" , I'll leave well enough alone.
|
| I've been scanning other messages and have started to
| wonder about "hyperthreading". Is this an Intel only thing
| or do I need to check APCI?? in the BIOS?
| Rodger

Hi Rodger -

Hyperthreading only applies to Intel CPU's. No need to fiddle with ACPI in
the BIOS (in fact, if you uncheck it, you'll need to reinstall Windows
because the Hardware Abstraction Layer [HAL] will fail to match what's
already installed).

The fact that you're overclocking the FSB means that your CPU will never be
identified by name in the system. Though, the NF7 boards, being quite
overclockable, should handle your speed without a hitch. If you do decide,
however, to perform a Repair or Clean install it would be a good idea to
return to stock FSB and multiplier.

Jef

Might try finding a solution at Abit, there are downloads and faqs.
http://www.abit-usa.com/support/

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Rodger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a nubie with XP and just completed building a new
> computer - Abit nf7-s v2 , amd xp 2400 mobile, 1G ddr
> etc...
> The problem I have is "Unknown processor type" showing up
> for the CPU. Is there an AMD .inf file or somthing like
> that I may have missed?

Thanks Mary,
I've been to ABIT and AMD sites but still no luck. Any idea
on the file "type" so I can narrrow my search.

Also, you might like this article:
http://www.winbeta.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2236

Check and see what your CPU really is with this:
http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

Get Version 7.2.0.5 Build 0727 Beta and see what it says. I use this
and it is stable even though it is Beta. It just isn't finished
incorporating new data, so it is beta ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Jef Norton wrote:
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks Jef,
> | I have the cpu OCed to 2.2G and FSB @ 400. As long as the
> | OS or other installed PGMs don't key off of this "unk cpu
> | ty" , I'll leave well enough alone.
> |
> | I've been scanning other messages and have started to
> | wonder about "hyperthreading". Is this an Intel only thing
> | or do I need to check APCI?? in the BIOS?
> | Rodger
>
> Hi Rodger -
>
> Hyperthreading only applies to Intel CPU's. No need to fiddle with ACPI in
> the BIOS (in fact, if you uncheck it, you'll need to reinstall Windows
> because the Hardware Abstraction Layer [HAL] will fail to match what's
> already installed).
>
> The fact that you're overclocking the FSB means that your CPU will never be
> identified by name in the system. Though, the NF7 boards, being quite
> overclockable, should handle your speed without a hitch. If you do decide,
> however, to perform a Repair or Clean install it would be a good idea to
> return to stock FSB and multiplier.
>
> Jef

BIOS upgrade, motherboard chipset drivers...

| Thanks Mary,
| I've been to ABIT and AMD sites but still no luck. Any
idea
| on the file "type" so I can narrrow my search.

As Curly always said, "Sortenly"