P4C800E-D Intel RAID and Promise RAID

Hi,

I've been running a RAID 0 for the past year on the Promise controller. Now
I want to switch over to the Intel controller due to the Promise controller
is starting to get flaky. I understand what to physically do, but Windows XP
recognizes the Southbridge chip as 82801EB and not as what is etched upon
the chip - 82801ER. I've tried to reinstall the correct drivers but it
defaults to the EB chip. About a year ago I vaguely remember talking to
Intel about this. What they said is when you run from the Promise controller
you get the EB chip displayed. When using the Intel chip you get the ER chip
displayed. Does this make sense??

Lately, installing the correct drivers gives me an error that the chipset is
not compatible with the drivers.

I plan on connecting the two SATA hds to the Intel SATA connectors on the
motherboard, create a new RAID 0 with the Intel utility, reinstall Windows
XP and load the correct Intel drivers. If I do this will the southbridge
chip be correctly identified as 82801ER? Will IAA install? Would it be
better to use Intel website drivers rather than Asus drivers?

Has anyone RMA'd ASUS?? How long does it take to get your board back?
2 answers Last reply
More about p4c800e intel raid promise raid

    "Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been running a RAID 0 for the past year on the Promise controller.
    Now
    > I want to switch over to the Intel controller due to the Promise
    controller
    > is starting to get flaky. I understand what to physically do, but Windows
    XP
    > recognizes the Southbridge chip as 82801EB and not as what is etched upon
    > the chip - 82801ER. I've tried to reinstall the correct drivers but it
    > defaults to the EB chip. About a year ago I vaguely remember talking to
    > Intel about this. What they said is when you run from the Promise
    controller
    > you get the EB chip displayed. When using the Intel chip you get the ER
    chip
    > displayed. Does this make sense??
    >
    > Lately, installing the correct drivers gives me an error that the chipset
    is
    > not compatible with the drivers.
    >
    > I plan on connecting the two SATA hds to the Intel SATA connectors on the
    > motherboard, create a new RAID 0 with the Intel utility, reinstall Windows
    > XP and load the correct Intel drivers. If I do this will the southbridge
    > chip be correctly identified as 82801ER? Will IAA install? Would it be
    > better to use Intel website drivers rather than Asus drivers?
    >
    > Has anyone RMA'd ASUS?? How long does it take to get your board back?

    Interesting, since I'm having the same issues with an AOpen board, which is
    the AOpen AX4C Max II.

    You are going to have to reinstall WinXP after you rebuild the Raid array,
    unless
    you image the boot drive first. If you want to use an image, uninstall the
    Promise
    controller from inside WinXP. To be safe, be sure
    that you can build the Intel array first (see below).

    Put your two drives on SATA1 and SATA2, corresponding to the ICH5R.
    Boot into the Bios ->
    Integrated Peripherals->
    OnChip Serial ATA Controller->
    Set it to Enhanced Mode, then enable Raid, not IDE.

    Restart, then (If all goes well) enter the Intel Raid Utility via <cntrl>-I

    If you don't see this utility in the Bios (about half way) then somethings
    seriously wrong.

    Configure your Array. Grab the driver floppy for the 8201ER controller,
    insert your WinXP CD, then start the WinXP install. When notified, hit
    F6 to acknowledge that you have a Raid driver. You will have to
    go through the whole process, which takes the usual 45 minutes.

    hth,
    tlviewer

    EB = controller set to non raid in the bios
    ER = configured as raid in the bios.

    IE the reported chip changes when you change the ICH5R bios settings from
    RAID to non RAID.

    If you want to run as RAID, configure as RAID while running off the Promise
    controller. This will allow you to install the drivers onto your current
    Windows XP setup so that it will be ready for running of the new
    controller - for some odd reason, Intel coded the driver installer to refuse
    installation if the ICH5R is not configured as RAID (ie 'ER').

    Personally, I would image the existing drive off sonewhere and then only,
    image back to a fresh new ICH5R raid config.

    BOL
    - Tim

    "Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been running a RAID 0 for the past year on the Promise controller.
    > Now I want to switch over to the Intel controller due to the Promise
    > controller is starting to get flaky. I understand what to physically do,
    > but Windows XP recognizes the Southbridge chip as 82801EB and not as what
    > is etched upon the chip - 82801ER. I've tried to reinstall the correct
    > drivers but it defaults to the EB chip. About a year ago I vaguely
    > remember talking to Intel about this. What they said is when you run from
    > the Promise controller you get the EB chip displayed. When using the Intel
    > chip you get the ER chip displayed. Does this make sense??
    >
    > Lately, installing the correct drivers gives me an error that the chipset
    > is not compatible with the drivers.
    >
    > I plan on connecting the two SATA hds to the Intel SATA connectors on the
    > motherboard, create a new RAID 0 with the Intel utility, reinstall Windows
    > XP and load the correct Intel drivers. If I do this will the southbridge
    > chip be correctly identified as 82801ER? Will IAA install? Would it be
    > better to use Intel website drivers rather than Asus drivers?
    >
    > Has anyone RMA'd ASUS?? How long does it take to get your board back?

Asus NAS / RAID Chip Intel Controller Motherboards