Files corrupt coping CDs

I am three for three when I've used "copy cd" and a made a backup copy using
Roxio 5 that the CD failed at some point in installation. For example, I
backed up my WinXP disc, tried a clean install--formatted first--but during
installation, a file called 'hive something' was found corrupt etc. I want
to have confidence that my backups are okay. Is this a software thing,
hardware or is this just the way it goes. Thank you.
--
Ed H
Dell Dimension 4550, WinXP Home SP1

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:14:31 -0400, "Ed H" <w.whatkey@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I am three for three when I've used "copy cd" and a made a backup copy using
>Roxio 5 that the CD failed at some point in installation. For example, I
>backed up my WinXP disc, tried a clean install--formatted first--but during
>installation, a file called 'hive something' was found corrupt etc. I want
>to have confidence that my backups are okay. Is this a software thing,
>hardware or is this just the way it goes. Thank you.
I hope it's not the way it goes.
In general, you should be able to make a perfect copy,
except some CD's have copy protection schemes.

Did you make an ISO of the XP CD first and create the copy
CD from that?

Dave

No, I don't even know what that is.
--

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:10:59 -0400, "Ed H" <w.whatkey@comcast.net>
wrote:

>No, I don't even know what that is.
It's just a CD image.
It's an image of the contents written to the hardrive
as one big file.
WHen the image is used, the files and their layout are
faithfully recreated on the new media.

Partitcular burning programs have there own format,
for example, Nero uses NRG.

Roxio may use it's own format, but in any case ,it's
usually called creating an image.

Dave

Actually, you shouldn't have had any problems with copying your XP CD.
That HIVE File is extremely important to the OS, so you will want to
attempt to copy your XP CD again. I would suggest making sure the CD is
clean, lower the burning speed as well as the reading speed if possile.
This is to make sure that all the data is copied correctly. I
wouldn't really worry about ISO's, NRG's, etc. This is out of context
of what you are trying to do as your CD Burning software does this for
you in the background ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Nathan McNulty wrote:
> Actually, you shouldn't have had any problems with copying your XP CD.
> That HIVE File is extremely important to the OS, so you will want to
> attempt to copy your XP CD again. I would suggest making sure the CD is
> clean, lower the burning speed as well as the reading speed if possile.
> This is to make sure that all the data is copied correctly. I wouldn't
> really worry about ISO's, NRG's, etc. This is out of context of what
> you are trying to do as your CD Burning software does this for you in
> the background ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> davetest wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:10:59 -0400, "Ed H" <w.whatkey@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> No, I don't even know what that is.
>>

>> It's just a CD image. It's an image of the contents written to the
>> hardrive
>> as one big file.
>> WHen the image is used, the files and their layout are
>> faithfully recreated on the new media.
>>
>> Partitcular burning programs have there own format,
>> for example, Nero uses NRG.
>>
>> Roxio may use it's own format, but in any case ,it's
>> usually called creating an image.
>>
>> Dave
There should be an option in the Disk Copy module of EZCD Creator which
says something like "Always Cache" and specify a location. This will
copy the CD to the hard drive and then from the hard drive to the new
CD-R. I don't remember what the terminology in Ver 5 is and I am
looking at version 7.

Tried to burn another copy of WinXP, this time 'oebios.bin' was corrupt. So
it is normal that CD burning should be a reliable medium for backup and that
there is a problem here that needs to be addressed. Thanks
--

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Actually, you shouldn't have had any problems with copying your XP CD.
> That HIVE File is extremely important to the OS, so you will want to
> attempt to copy your XP CD again. I would suggest making sure the CD is
> clean, lower the burning speed as well as the reading speed if possile.
> This is to make sure that all the data is copied correctly. I
> wouldn't really worry about ISO's, NRG's, etc. This is out of context
> of what you are trying to do as your CD Burning software does this for
> you in the background ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> davetest wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:10:59 -0400, "Ed H" <w.whatkey@comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>No, I don't even know what that is.
> >
> > It's just a CD image.
> > It's an image of the contents written to the hardrive
> > as one big file.
> > WHen the image is used, the files and their layout are
> > faithfully recreated on the new media.
> >
> > Partitcular burning programs have there own format,
> > for example, Nero uses NRG.
> >
> > Roxio may use it's own format, but in any case ,it's
> > usually called creating an image.
> >
> > Dave

What quality of media are you using? Also, what speeds are you trying
to burn this at and with what drive? Try doing this. Use a good
quality CD-R, set the burn rate to 1x and just let it copy and burn
over-night. Now see if you have problems.

----
Nathan McNulty