CD slows down during copy

My CD drive keeps slowing down its revolutions when I am coping data to a
file. The indicators, of whatever I am coping, begin to rise up. It says 3
minutes to go and then the CD stops whining and the indicator will read 4
minutes to go... 5 minutes.. and so on. And the copy process seems much
slower. Hard ware? Software or they just do this? Thank you.
--
Ed H
Dell Dimension 4550, WinXP Home SP1

Try making sure the CD is clean and try cleaning the drive with a
cleaner kit. What happens is if there are scratches or the CD is dirty,
the CD ROM drive will have a hard time reading the pits/dye on the CD.
This is not likely to be a problem of Windows, but a problem first of
the CD, then of the CD ROM Drive ;)

----
Nathan McNulty