defrag and scandisk

G

i am using windows 98se and whenever i try to run defrag or scandisk, it just locks up my system. i ran scandisk from DOS and then try to do it in windows and it still doesnt work, please help me out. im really really frustrated from this. thanks

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
My first thought to this is what virus scan program are you running? Some of the Mcafee ones can cause lockups with Scandisk and defrag.
Also, make sure you exit out of as many programs as you can (including everything in the systray down on the bottom right hand corner of the start menu).

Most likely, it's some program that's interfering with scandisk or defrag that's causing the problem...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Another option is to run scandisk/defrag in safemode- that way there should be nothing running in the background. to get into safemode, reboot, and as its booting, tap the F8 key (before the windows splash screen appears). you will then be presented with a menu, choose safemode and off you go, wneh finished scandisk/defrag, reboot as normal.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

I also use Win 98 SE and have had a similiar problem.It happens because at bootup their are a number of "Startup" programs that are executed and run in the background. ScanDisk and Defrag do not run well and in some cases won't run at all when they are competing with these Startup programs. To get around the problem, I suggest you run both ScanDisk and Defrag in "Safe Mode". When you boot the system up in Safe Mode, the Startup programs are not executed. Your desktop will be faded but your Start menu programs will be functional. Do the following to bring the system up in Safe Mode.

When booting from either a cold or restart, hold down the "Control" key as the boot is taking place = the best time to press the key is right after the computer recognizes your systems configuration during the process. The bootup will be interrupted by a dialogue box with a number of choices. Using the down arrow button on your keyboard, select SafeMode and press "Enter". The computer will come up in SafeMode. Now, go ahead and run ScanDisk and Defrag normally. Be sure to run ScanDisk first and select the error correction option. This will correct any errors on your hard drive before you run defrag.

One other tip. I would suggest you disable any screensaver and turn off the "Power scheme" settings before you start. Both jobs are time consuming so you don't need the aggravation of dealing with those functions.

After ScanDisk and Defrag are completed, restart your system and it should boot up normally.

Hope this helps

Del