second hard drive won't work

my second hard drive won't work with my main computer,
however, if i plug this second drive into my other
computer, it recognizes it. any ideas as to how to fix
this? thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about second hard drive work

    check the cable and the jumper for on your harddrive, choose between master
    or slave.

    "jennifer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my second hard drive won't work with my main computer,
    > however, if i plug this second drive into my other
    > computer, it recognizes it. any ideas as to how to fix
    > this? thanks

    Also check to be sure you have it set up in bios as auto
    for the second drive or it may not see it.

    thanks for the responses. i've done both of those things
    and sitll doesn't recognize the second drive. the jumpers
    is set on slave. could this be software? or hardware such
    as my mother board etc?

    Maek sure the jumpers are right. Set the master to master or "master
    with slave" as appropriate. (on some drives these are different
    settings. Set the other to slave. Go into the BIOS setup and make sure
    the BIOS is looking for the slave as well as the master (usually set to
    auto). When the BIOS goes through the post see if the slave is found.
    If the BIOS doesn't find it then Windows will never know about it.

    If yoou use cable select, then both drives must be set to CS and the
    right connectors on the cable attached to the board, the master and the
    slave.

    If the BIOS doesn't find the drives, make sure the power cables are
    connected properly to both drives, and the data cable correctly to the
    motherboard, and to each drive. Usually they are keyed. If there is no
    key slot around a connector on a drive or motherboard, it is possible
    to get the connector reversed. Ususally there is a marking on the cable
    for which is pin 1, on ribbon cables this usually done by having a color
    marking on the number 1 lead. Also, on motherboard and drive connectors
    with no key or fence around the pins, it is possible to get one pin off.

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP