A8N-SLI and BFG GF 6800 GT OC -NVIDIA System Sentinel powe..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2005 11:07:22 AM

Hello,

I have just built a new system using the following new parts:

Asus A8N-SLI (PCIe) [BIOS 1003]
BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC PCIe (NVIDIA GE 6800 Series GPU driver 6.6.9.3)
1gb Corsair RAM
Ultra X-Connect 500w PS (12vdc - 34amps)
2 - Sata hdd (Samsung, 160gb ea)
1 - Pioneer DVD Writer drive

I am getting a message (attached) that the "..NVIDIA System Sentinel is
reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient
power". I know that is not true unless the dongle or its recepticle is
faulty (I already swapped PS). Do you have a command line method to read the
voltage being supplied to the video card?

I have built many PC's so I think I need help with this one. I am going to
see if there are newer NVIDIA drivers on your site. Have you heard of this
message and power NOT being the cause?

Thank you,
David
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2005 4:31:34 PM

> I am getting a message (attached) that the "..NVIDIA System Sentinel is
> reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient
> power". I know that is not true unless the dongle or its recepticle is
> faulty (I already swapped PS). Do you have a command line method to read the
> voltage being supplied to the video card?

Ugh... I had this with my Asus FX 5900XT. I use a huge-arse Antec
TruePower 550W (though I do have to use Y-splitters as there are just
not enough plugs...), so the supplied power is probably not the problem.
I think that I burned out my graphics card in overclocking it, as if I
stick it just 1 MHz above factory, then I get this message too.

As for monitoring the voltage, get RivaTuner at
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163 and have a little play
around. In the 'main' tab, click on the button below the first drop-down
box and click the icon that is a microchip with a magnifying glass held
over it (called 'hardware monitoring'). Voila.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2005 6:16:31 PM

No OC on mine, straight out of the box and I have this issue. I have
seperate power runs to the two connectors on the video card dongle. I'll try
the utility you mentioned after I check continuity of the power dongle and
video card pins.

Thanks,
David

"BananaOfTheNight" <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote in
message news:ctlc0h$85t$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
>> I am getting a message (attached) that the "..NVIDIA System Sentinel is
>> reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving
>> sufficient power". I know that is not true unless the dongle or its
>> recepticle is faulty (I already swapped PS). Do you have a command line
>> method to read the voltage being supplied to the video card?
>
> Ugh... I had this with my Asus FX 5900XT. I use a huge-arse Antec
> TruePower 550W (though I do have to use Y-splitters as there are just not
> enough plugs...), so the supplied power is probably not the problem. I
> think that I burned out my graphics card in overclocking it, as if I stick
> it just 1 MHz above factory, then I get this message too.
>
> As for monitoring the voltage, get RivaTuner at
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163 and have a little play
> around. In the 'main' tab, click on the button below the first drop-down
> box and click the icon that is a microchip with a magnifying glass held
> over it (called 'hardware monitoring'). Voila.
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 1:10:15 AM

It was a bad dongle.

David

"n0sp4m" <n0sp4m@your.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have just built a new system using the following new parts:
>
> Asus A8N-SLI (PCIe) [BIOS 1003]
> BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC PCIe (NVIDIA GE 6800 Series GPU driver 6.6.9.3)
> 1gb Corsair RAM
> Ultra X-Connect 500w PS (12vdc - 34amps)
> 2 - Sata hdd (Samsung, 160gb ea)
> 1 - Pioneer DVD Writer drive
>
> I am getting a message (attached) that the "..NVIDIA System Sentinel is
> reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving
> sufficient power". I know that is not true unless the dongle or its
> recepticle is faulty (I already swapped PS). Do you have a command line
> method to read the voltage being supplied to the video card?
>
> I have built many PC's so I think I need help with this one. I am going to
> see if there are newer NVIDIA drivers on your site. Have you heard of this
> message and power NOT being the cause?
>
> Thank you,
> David

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2005 1:04:08 AM

> It was a bad dongle.
>
> David

Yeah, the older you get, the more often that happens :-)

Dark Helmet
!