  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 12:13:59 AM

Do ASUS still make a dual Athlon MP motherboard? I've found references to
A7M266-D on the internet but there is no mention on the ASUS web site.

We've had all sorts of trouble with our existing Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
motherboard. It was faulty on delivery (bad memory subsystem) and recently
devices have started acting up - disk errors and blue screens. At first, we
thought it might have been the Adaptec SCSI adapter so I took the system
down this evening to take the SCSI system out and replace it temporarily
with an IDE drive. Despite trying three IDE devices on all four of the IDE
connectors, the motherboard just won't recognise any IDE hard disks. I'm
sure all these drives can't be knackered. We were going to try upgrading the
BIOS and the final straw was when I noticed the floppy disk light was on
permantely and it wouldn't access the floppy disk.

So we want a replacement board...

Thanks, Rob.

More about : asus dual athlon motherboard

February 1, 2005 12:14:00 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:13:59 +0000 (UTC), "Rob Nicholson"
<rob.nicholson@NOSPAM_informed-direct.com> wrote:

>Do ASUS still make a dual Athlon MP motherboard? I've found references to
>A7M266-D on the internet but there is no mention on the ASUS web site.
>
>We've had all sorts of trouble with our existing Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
>motherboard. It was faulty on delivery (bad memory subsystem) and recently
>devices have started acting up - disk errors and blue screens. At first, we
>thought it might have been the Adaptec SCSI adapter so I took the system
>down this evening to take the SCSI system out and replace it temporarily
>with an IDE drive. Despite trying three IDE devices on all four of the IDE
>connectors, the motherboard just won't recognise any IDE hard disks. I'm
>sure all these drives can't be knackered. We were going to try upgrading the
>BIOS and the final straw was when I noticed the floppy disk light was on
>permantely and it wouldn't access the floppy disk.
>
>So we want a replacement board...
>
>Thanks, Rob.

I don't know if Asus still makes the board, I had a hard time finding
one here.

A7M266-D page....
http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7m266-d/overview.htm

Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 1:49:04 AM

> I don't know if Asus still makes the board, I had a hard time finding
> one here.

Might go for the Tyan Tiger board instead then.

Rob.
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 1:49:05 AM

"Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know if Asus still makes the board, I had a hard time finding
> > one here.
>
> Might go for the Tyan Tiger board instead then.
>
> Rob.

I recently picked up an MSI http://tinyurl.com/6krs4 the price went up by $8
since I last looked. Compared to an A7M266-D the MSI runs hotter and
requires more cooling. It cannot be told to "ignore" xp cpu and expects an
"mp" unlike the ASUS. I had to cut a hole in the side and add a large fan
for cooling. Even with all copper HSF.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 12:44:06 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:49:04 GMT, "Rob Nicholson"
<rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote:

>> I don't know if Asus still makes the board, I had a hard time finding
>> one here.
>
>Might go for the Tyan Tiger board instead then.

No, this asus board is unique for several reasons:

1) it takes unbuffered DDR ram (not demand for ECC)
2) it will take XP mobile without any modifications of these

3) thereby it is possible to tune multiplier with pin-mod method
(cheeting the chipset)

There are plenty of them second hand on ebay. Probably with 2 cpu
also.

Search google for some OC stories of a7m266-d

best regards

John
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 1:06:10 PM

> There are plenty of them second hand on ebay. Probably with 2 cpu
> also.

Unfortunately, we're in the UK and there's only one. Okay, so it's currently
on eBay for £6.50 :-)

> Search google for some OC stories of a7m266-d

Hmm, don't like those "not stable" postings...

Thanks, Rob.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 1:37:51 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:44:06 +0100, "JK (at mail dot dk)"
<johnknuhtsen@address.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:49:04 GMT, "Rob Nicholson"
><rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote:
>
>>> I don't know if Asus still makes the board, I had a hard time finding
>>> one here.
>>
>>Might go for the Tyan Tiger board instead then.
>>

>No, this asus board is unique for several reasons:
>
>1) it takes unbuffered DDR ram (not demand for ECC)
>2) it will take XP mobile without any modifications of these

Specifically, what kinds of "recommended" XP Mobile mods are _not_
needed with this motherboard?

>3) thereby it is possible to tune multiplier with pin-mod method
>(cheeting the chipset)

Do you own this board? Do you have personal experience with the
pin-mod method? What about the products that mount into the CPU
socket on the motherboard and "fool" the CPU or the motherboard?
Thanks.

--W--
!