A8N-SLI Deluxe - Memory Error

Hi all,

I have a
A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+
2x 512 Samsung M368L6423ETM
MSI 6600GT
+ HDD / CDD...

My problem is now that the memory is not detected by the board. Does
some one had the same problem with Samsung Memory?

Originally it worked, but after some starts, it stopped.
I checked in the shop were I bought the parts: and when they exchange
the Samsung memory with a different unit, it boot's. It also boots one
or two times with the Samsung afterwords. But than it starts again the
"beeping and shouting" (nice to have a modern board which speaks to
you...).

I cleared also two times the CMOS.

Is it purely an uncompatible Memory? And if you think so, how to explain
a customer friendly shop...

Thanks for helping

Thorsten

Paul

Splendid

In article <367tcoF4upn9uU1@individual.net>, Thorsten Steen
<thorsten_steen@web.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a
> A8N-SLI Deluxe
> AMD 64 3500+
> 2x 512 Samsung M368L6423ETM
> MSI 6600GT
> + HDD / CDD...
>
> My problem is now that the memory is not detected by the board. Does
> some one had the same problem with Samsung Memory?
>
> Originally it worked, but after some starts, it stopped.
> I checked in the shop were I bought the parts: and when they exchange
> the Samsung memory with a different unit, it boot's. It also boots one
> or two times with the Samsung afterwords. But than it starts again the
> "beeping and shouting" (nice to have a modern board which speaks to
> you...).
>
> I cleared also two times the CMOS.
>
> Is it purely an uncompatible Memory? And if you think so, how to explain
> a customer friendly shop...
>
> Thanks for helping
>
> Thorsten

This is either a 3-3-3 or a 3-4-4 memory.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/DDRSDRAM/DDRSDRAMmodule/UnbufferedDIMM/M368L6423ETM/M368L6423ETM.htm

There is some Samsung working here:
http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87903

It almost sounds like either the motherboard or the memory controller
on the motherboard, is damaging the memory DIMMs. You should take the
DIMM that no longer can boot the A8N-SLI and test it on another
motherboard. Use something like memtest86 from memtest.org and see
if there is a particular bit on the module that has failed. Perhaps
the failure mode of the module will suggest a failure mechanism.

The memory controller is on the processor, so in fact the processor
could be at fault. A less likely possibility, is there is a partial
short circuit or a problem with a termination resistor on the
motherboard. You might pull the motherboard and see if there is
an "extra" standoff underneath the motherboard, that is contacting
a memory interface copper track.

So, start with the memory stick, and test the memory on another
computer.

HTH,
Paul