No Active Network Adapter Found

hai to all;

Very recently i have upgraded my PC from Windows 98 to XP professional.
i had no problem before connecting to the internet but after installing xp i am not able to get connected.

i clicked (ctrl + alt + del) to see what is happening ......everything works normal except for the Networking part. where it shows this blank or gray part and has this error message "NO ACTIVE NETWORK ADAPTER FOUND:"

i thought it was because may be the PCI modem card is loose and it looks good.

i dont know what is wrong .. can you help me out.

thanks to all..

X-men

Well do you have a network card on the motherboard or installed separately?
Did you install the motherboard drivers from the website of the motherboard
manufacturer?
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"X-men" <Xmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hai to all;
>
> Very recently i have upgraded my PC from Windows 98 to XP professional.
> i had no problem before connecting to the internet but after installing xp
> i am not able to get connected.
>
> i clicked (ctrl + alt + del) to see what is happening ......everything
> works normal except for the Networking part. where it shows this blank or
> gray part and has this error message "NO ACTIVE NETWORK ADAPTER FOUND:"
>
> i thought it was because may be the PCI modem card is loose and it looks
> good.
>
> i dont know what is wrong .. can you help me out.
>
> thanks to all..
>
> X-men

This is ok. Until you dial up a connection (using your PCI modem),
it will obviously say "no active nework adapter".

--PA

"X-men" <Xmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEE8C0C4-FFBB-49F0-B63A-3DC2739ECC34@microsoft.com...
> hai to all;
>
> Very recently i have upgraded my PC from Windows 98 to XP professional.
> i had no problem before connecting to the internet but after installing xp i am not able to get connected.
>
> i clicked (ctrl + alt + del) to see what is happening ......everything works normal except for the Networking part. where it
shows this blank or gray part and has this error message "NO ACTIVE NETWORK ADAPTER FOUND:"

> i thought it was because may be the PCI modem card is loose and it looks good.
>
> i dont know what is wrong .. can you help me out.
>
> thanks to all..
>
> X-men

Thanks for replying...

The situation is like this. i have this old computer which has a pentium(r) II celeron processor which was running on windows 98 and i installed XP PROFESSIONAL . i dont have any Ethernet card .so i think the only network adapter i have is the modem. i have a PCI modem and when i checked in the Device manager. the Modem shows no sign of defect.(best data data fax modem)... i see a flag on "MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER" i dont know what it is or how a multimedia audio controller looks like.

i tried to dial up to the internet and it doesnt work. i have asked a technician and he told me may be the driver for the modem is too old but the modem looks fine .
and about the multimedia audio controller i am not able to find the driver through the XP help and i cannt get connected to the internet either.

Thanks for the help

"Pavel A." wrote:

> This is ok. Until you dial up a connection (using your PCI modem),
> it will obviously say "no active nework adapter".
>
> --PA
>
> "X-men" <Xmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEE8C0C4-FFBB-49F0-B63A-3DC2739ECC34@microsoft.com...
> > hai to all;
> >
> > Very recently i have upgraded my PC from Windows 98 to XP professional.
> > i had no problem before connecting to the internet but after installing xp i am not able to get connected.
> >
> > i clicked (ctrl + alt + del) to see what is happening ......everything works normal except for the Networking part. where it
> shows this blank or gray part and has this error message "NO ACTIVE NETWORK ADAPTER FOUND:"
> >
> > i thought it was because may be the PCI modem card is loose and it looks good.
> >
> > i dont know what is wrong .. can you help me out.
> >
> > thanks to all..
> >
> > X-men

Please run basic modem tests first.
Does the modem respond to AT commands? etc.

--PA

"X-men" <Xmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0F162BD-49A8-4E0C-AA3C-CBCE023976E8@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for replying...
>
> The situation is like this. i have this old computer which has a pentium(r) II celeron processor which was running on windows
98 and i installed XP PROFESSIONAL . i dont have any Ethernet card .so i think the only network adapter i have is the modem. i
have a PCI modem and when i checked in the Device manager. the Modem shows no sign of defect.(best data data fax modem)... i see
a flag on "MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER" i dont know what it is or how a multimedia audio controller looks like.

> i tried to dial up to the internet and it doesnt work. i have asked a technician and he told me may be the driver for the
modem is too old but the modem looks fine .
> and about the multimedia audio controller i am not able to find the driver through the XP help and i cannt get connected to
the internet either.

> Thanks for the help
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > This is ok. Until you dial up a connection (using your PCI modem),
> > it will obviously say "no active nework adapter".
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > "X-men" <Xmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEE8C0C4-FFBB-49F0-B63A-3DC2739ECC34@microsoft.com...
> > > hai to all;
> > >
> > > Very recently i have upgraded my PC from Windows 98 to XP professional.
> > > i had no problem before connecting to the internet but after installing xp i am not able to get connected.
> > >
> > > i clicked (ctrl + alt + del) to see what is happening ......everything works normal except for the Networking part. where
it
> > shows this blank or gray part and has this error message "NO ACTIVE NETWORK ADAPTER FOUND:"
> > >
> > > i thought it was because may be the PCI modem card is loose and it looks good.
> > >
> > > i dont know what is wrong .. can you help me out.
> > >
> > > thanks to all..
> > >
> > > X-men

hai Pavel;

i went through device manager and by right clicking going on properties->Diagnostics->Querry Modem: this way.. the system makes some different kinds of AT commands and i checked them. the modem responds successfully to them.

Can you tell me what is a MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER. on the device manager i have a flag on this peice of hardware and i dont know what exactly it is???

is it possible that since i dont have an ethernet card on my system. may be there is no network adapter on my system.????

Do you have any idea where i could look for.. and what could be wrong??

thanks in advance..