A8N-SLI Memory

Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.

Thanks

"Harald" <sonjaogharald@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
> this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
> What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
> 2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
> The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
> that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.
>
> Thanks

The A8N-SLi will run 4 sticks at 400 but you will need to set it yourself in
BIOS.

You would be better running 2 sticks as it presents less load to the A64's
on-chip mem controller

Jon

40 PC SOCKET SET wrote:
> "Harald" <sonjaogharald@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
>>this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
>>What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
>>2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
>>The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
>>that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.
>>
>>Thanks
>

> The A8N-SLi will run 4 sticks at 400 but you will need to set it yourself in
> BIOS.
>
> You would be better running 2 sticks as it presents less load to the A64's
> on-chip mem controller

I also gathered that four sticks mean you will have to drop to a 2T
timing, which is pretty bad for performance. You'll most likely be
better off with 2 sticks. 2*1024 (DDR400) in Dual channel works quite
well here in my machine.

Harald wrote:
> Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
> this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
> What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
> 2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
> The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
> that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.
>
> Thanks

I am using 4 512MB Corsair ValueSelect modules in mine. It defaulted to
333 but I was able to set the memory clock limit to DDR400 in the BIOS
to get it to run at 400.. no problems.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

"Harald" <sonjaogharald@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
> this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
> What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
> 2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
> The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
> that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.

Pardon me for asking, but what application requires 2 gigs of ram ? Can you
tell the difference ? I have 1 gig, and I have room for more, just
wondering.

Fred

"Fred Claugus" <fclaugus@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Harald" <sonjaogharald@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
> > this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
> > What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
> > 2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
> > The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
> > that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.
>
> Pardon me for asking, but what application requires 2 gigs of ram ? Can
you
> tell the difference ? I have 1 gig, and I have room for more, just
> wondering.
>
> Fred

Whilst I cannot name you one application of the top od my head that demands
2G of RAM, I can tell you that 2G of RAM will allow a smoother user
experience. There will be less pagefile activity and that means less disc
access. You will be able to run more applications concurrently too. Video
making/editing apps do tend to use RAM. In my experience most people would
not see much benefit from 2G of RAM, but that will change in time.

Jon

Fred Claugus wrote:

> Pardon me for asking, but what application requires 2 gigs of ram ? Can you
> tell the difference ? I have 1 gig, and I have room for more, just
> wondering.

Try editing video with 1 Gig, then with 2. Then you know why.

Besides, you'll find your needs increasing over time. I'll bet you
didn't have 1 Gig of memory two years ago. I've got 2 Gig now, which
should be more than enough for quite some time, but when I find it is
not enough, I've still got two empty slots - so I've got room for more
too =)

Fred Claugus wrote:
> "Harald" <sonjaogharald@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Are there any owners out there that have tried 4*512MB memory modules in
>>this board and been able to run the RAM at 400?
>>What is the best RAM to get for this config, or am I better off getting
>>2*1024MB modules (Dual Channel speed)?
>>The ASUS site and the board manual seem a bit vague on this point, seems
>>that 4 double sided dimm's are limited to running at 333.
>

> Pardon me for asking, but what application requires 2 gigs of ram ? Can you
> tell the difference ? I have 1 gig, and I have room for more, just
> wondering.
>
> Fred

Not many apps "require" it, but it gives you more room for disk cache, etc.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

> > Pardon me for asking, but what application requires 2 gigs of ram ? Can
you
> > tell the difference ? I have 1 gig, and I have room for more, just
> > wondering.
> >
> > Fred
>
> Not many apps "require" it, but it gives you more room for disk cache,
etc.

This I know, but do you notice a difference ?

> > > Pardon me for asking, but what application requires 2 gigs of ram ?
Can
> you
> > > tell the difference ? I have 1 gig, and I have room for more, just
> > > wondering.
> > >
> > > Fred
> >
> > Not many apps "require" it, but it gives you more room for disk cache,
> etc.
>
> This I know, but do you notice a difference ?

In a word. yes. Less pagefile activity and more concurrent apps.
However,the advantages of upping system RAM from 1G to 2G may not be all
that obvious if all you do is use MS Word or Kazaa all day. Typically it is
video creation and particularly video editing apps that will benefit from
slamming in the RAM.

You would probably notice immediately if you pulled half of your RAM out,
and that is essentially what we are talking about here. It makes no
difference how fast a hard disc subsystem is, it will never compare to RAM
for transfer speed.

Jon

40 PC SOCKET SET wrote:
> "Fred Claugus" <fclaugus@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Can
>
>>you

>>>Not many apps "require" it, but it gives you more room for disk cache,
>>
>>etc.
>>
>>This I know, but do you notice a difference ?
>

> In a word. yes. Less pagefile activity and more concurrent apps.
> However,the advantages of upping system RAM from 1G to 2G may not be all
> that obvious if all you do is use MS Word or Kazaa all day. Typically it is
> video creation and particularly video editing apps that will benefit from
> slamming in the RAM.
>
> You would probably notice immediately if you pulled half of your RAM out,
> and that is essentially what we are talking about here. It makes no
> difference how fast a hard disc subsystem is, it will never compare to RAM
> for transfer speed.
>
> Jon

Makes a difference in some games, too - not necessarily while playing,
most games don't actually use nearly that much RAM - but when you exit,
there's less disk thrashing as Windows loads back in parts of the shell,
etc. that may have been swapped out to fit the game data into RAM..

--

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message

> Makes a difference in some games, too - not necessarily while playing,
> most games don't actually use nearly that much RAM - but when you exit,
> there's less disk thrashing as Windows loads back in parts of the shell,
> etc. that may have been swapped out to fit the game data into RAM..
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

Oops, I guess my age is starting to show :-(