aggravating wifi prob

My moms laptop all of a sudden can't access the network. She says it started
happening after she tried to add a printer (from another computer on the
network) but I dont' see how that could have done anything.

When I came over to see what the problem was it appeared as thought it could
have just been a signal strength issue. It would show the network on the
list of available wifi networks, when clicking connect you'd get that small
window with the animated connection stuff. Then it would just do that for
like 2 minutes and stop and not connect to anything. This was with the
laptop sitting 5 inches from the router. I tried a system restore from a day
before when it was working just fine but that didn't help at all. All the
network settings appeared to be the same anyways.

So,I logged into the router from one of the lan computers changed the wep
key, logged off, then power cycled the router. I then went to the laptop and
updated the wep key. turned it off, turned on the router, then turned on the
laptop again. After booting up, it immediately picked up the network and
connected but it can't access any other computers or the web.

It looks as if it's not dchp'ing correctly or something. in ipconfig /all is
it shows an
autoconfig ip of 169.254.188.109 with a 255.255.0.0 subnet and nothing for
the gateway.

I also tried assigning an ip manually and while that returned no connection
problems it just didn't work. I couldn't see any computers on the network
except my own and I could access the web.

This is one of those cases where I just want to punch the freakin computer.

Thanks in advance.

Please keep in mind I'll have to try anything you suggest later tonight when
I go back over.

Look for a small reset switch on the router and reset it.

Carey

"Robert Blackwell" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My moms laptop all of a sudden can't access the network. She says it
> started happening after she tried to add a printer (from another computer
> on the network) but I dont' see how that could have done anything.
>
> When I came over to see what the problem was it appeared as thought it
> could have just been a signal strength issue. It would show the network on
> the list of available wifi networks, when clicking connect you'd get that
> small window with the animated connection stuff. Then it would just do
> that for like 2 minutes and stop and not connect to anything. This was
> with the laptop sitting 5 inches from the router. I tried a system restore
> from a day before when it was working just fine but that didn't help at
> all. All the network settings appeared to be the same anyways.
>
> So,I logged into the router from one of the lan computers changed the wep
> key, logged off, then power cycled the router. I then went to the laptop
> and updated the wep key. turned it off, turned on the router, then turned
> on the laptop again. After booting up, it immediately picked up the
> network and connected but it can't access any other computers or the web.
>
> It looks as if it's not dchp'ing correctly or something. in ipconfig /all
> is it shows an
> autoconfig ip of 169.254.188.109 with a 255.255.0.0 subnet and nothing for
> the gateway.
>
> I also tried assigning an ip manually and while that returned no
> connection problems it just didn't work. I couldn't see any computers on
> the network except my own and I could access the web.
>
> This is one of those cases where I just want to punch the freakin
> computer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Please keep in mind I'll have to try anything you suggest later tonight
> when I go back over.

Reset could be a small hole in the back of the router, big enough to press
the point of a pen/pencil and hold for 4/5 seconds.

"Robert Blackwell" wrote:

> My moms laptop all of a sudden can't access the network. She says it started
> happening after she tried to add a printer (from another computer on the
> network) but I dont' see how that could have done anything.
>
> When I came over to see what the problem was it appeared as thought it could
> have just been a signal strength issue. It would show the network on the
> list of available wifi networks, when clicking connect you'd get that small
> window with the animated connection stuff. Then it would just do that for
> like 2 minutes and stop and not connect to anything. This was with the
> laptop sitting 5 inches from the router. I tried a system restore from a day
> before when it was working just fine but that didn't help at all. All the
> network settings appeared to be the same anyways.
>
> So,I logged into the router from one of the lan computers changed the wep
> key, logged off, then power cycled the router. I then went to the laptop and
> updated the wep key. turned it off, turned on the router, then turned on the
> laptop again. After booting up, it immediately picked up the network and
> connected but it can't access any other computers or the web.
>
> It looks as if it's not dchp'ing correctly or something. in ipconfig /all is
> it shows an
> autoconfig ip of 169.254.188.109 with a 255.255.0.0 subnet and nothing for
> the gateway.
>
> I also tried assigning an ip manually and while that returned no connection
> problems it just didn't work. I couldn't see any computers on the network
> except my own and I could access the web.
>
> This is one of those cases where I just want to punch the freakin computer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Please keep in mind I'll have to try anything you suggest later tonight when
> I go back over.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the nic, that worked out.

Mr. Blackwell,

Could it be the case that a neighbor has installed a similar wireless router
with the same SSID? If this were the case, although you would be connecting
to the network called "linksys" (or however it is called) you would be
connecting to the wrong network. Please take a moment to rename the SSID,
so that we can rule this out.

How is the wireless network access point configured? Is it set up to be
Open with WEP Encryption?
Since this is generally the most secure way to use WEP encryption, it is
probable that this network is configured as such, in which case you would be
susceptible to this problem.

The only other situation that comes to mind is if the wireless router has
ceased to function. If you can assign yourself an IP address (picking the
correct values, given what you were assigned before), can you ping the
router? This is a good test to make sure the wireless interface on the
router is still operating correctly.

Please let me know how this works.

--
Brian Wehrle