unable to power on

Maniboard: A7V8X-X

After I added a CD rom drive, I pressed the power button. Nothing happened.
No BIOS beep sound was heard. The pilot light of the mainboard was on. I
switched the power supply unit to another one, nothing happened. I switched
the CPU to another one, nothing happened. I am running out options.

What else should I try before I declare the board dead.

rod

Have you tried removing the cd-rom again and seeing if it worked? Maybe the
IDE cable isn't on right... ?
"rod rook" <rod.rook@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Maniboard: A7V8X-X
>
> After I added a CD rom drive, I pressed the power button. Nothing
> happened.
> No BIOS beep sound was heard. The pilot light of the mainboard was on. I
> switched the power supply unit to another one, nothing happened. I
> switched
> the CPU to another one, nothing happened. I am running out options.
>
> What else should I try before I declare the board dead.
>
> rod

There are many components to a power supply system. The
numbers suggest what may be wrong. Motherboard shorted to
case, power supply controller not operational, human
oversight, etc. The number of reasons are long which is why
these numbers tell us in but two minutes where to look or what
to suspect: "Computer doesnt start at all" in
alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

Does that indicator light say power supply is working? Of
course not. Disks can spin and lights illuminate. Still a
power supply voltage is not operational. First get numbers.
Then learn what changes as the power switch is pressed.

Swapping power supplies told us almost nothing. Anything
that could have been learned by swapping power supply also
would be known in the two minutes it takes to get those
numbers.

Jody Sleath wrote:

> Have you tried removing the cd-rom again and seeing if it worked? Maybe
> the IDE cable isn't on right... ?

Your idea is a good one. In fact, I disconnected the cd-rom and others one
by one. It turned out that the floppy drive is causing trouble. It may be
shorted. I will have to take it out and look at it.
I thank both of you for help.

rod

No problem. I've had the exact same problem before actually. Once, it was
the way the cable was connected, it was on wrong. The other time, it was the
floppy drive was dead.