Lifetime of idle ink cartridges?

I don't print much. I replaced my B&W inkjet with a LASER printer several
years ago because the ink cartridge kept getting clogged up while sitting
idle in the weeks between uses.

Now, I have a digital camera and just ordered a Canon 960. I'm sure I'll
use the printer a lot in the first few weeks, but after the novelty wears
off, I'll probably use it less often.

Do "modern" ink cartridges stand up (or sit down) to non-use better than
the old ones did?

I suppose I could just get into the habit of running a test print once a
week to keep things flowing; is that necessary, or at least a good idea?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

Neil Slade on his informative website suggests we run a test print
ONCE A DAY. I hope that's a little obsessive, but his printer
maintenance suggestions seem to be generally very good.

Check his website here:
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

In news:1e7d0d55.0405150907.6404ef92@posting.google.com
william.pease@verizon.net (Bill Pease) wrote:

> Neil Slade on his informative website suggests we run a test print
> ONCE A DAY. I hope that's a little obsessive, but his printer
> maintenance suggestions seem to be generally very good.
>
> Check his website here:
> http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

Thanks for the link; there's stuff in there I'd probably have never
thought of.

He mentions "inkgrabbers.com"; are their $2 ink cartridges really any
good?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

In the writings of Bert Hyman, the <Xns94EA63E3FFD6CVeebleFetzer@
209.98.13.60> scrolls contained these prophetic words:

> I suppose I could just get into the habit of running a test print once a
> week to keep things flowing; is that necessary, or at least a good idea?

I use the i965 (the UK version of the i960). Some weeks I do about 5
prints, other weeks nothing (longest left without printing about 3
weeks), maybe the occasional letter. The Printer does a self clean on
power up if left switched off for more than 24 hours.

I still use Canon inks (I can get them cheap and for saving a £ a time
it's not worth the gamble to be honest). I have only had to change 2
carts and that's the light Magenta and Light Cyan, the rest are still
the new carts (printed about 40 8x10 prints, and may be about 20 6x4s
excluding the failed prints).

Overall, I certainly commend the 960/965 and the 850/865.

Also works well under Linux.
--
Scottish Heritage:
http://www.CelticShadows.co.uk

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My i950 has sat as much as 6 weeks, and the first print out has always been
perfect.

-Larry