P4B533-E with 800Mhz FSB P4

I can't afford to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at the same time, so I
would like to run an 800MHz FSB Northwood P4 in an Asus P4B533-E. I know
that the CPU will be underclocked in this case but will it still work until
I can buy a motherboard that supports an 800MHz FSB?

Has anyone tried something like this?

TIA,

John
4 answers Last reply
More about p4b533 800mhz

    It will NOT work. Mismatched FSB's.

    --
    DaveW

    In article <LbmdnXWZPMwQKp_fRVn-2Q@comcast.com>, "John Manning"
    <john.t.manning@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I can't afford to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at the same time, so I
    > would like to run an 800MHz FSB Northwood P4 in an Asus P4B533-E. I know
    > that the CPU will be underclocked in this case but will it still work until
    > I can buy a motherboard that supports an 800MHz FSB?
    >
    > Has anyone tried something like this?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > John

    If you look on this page:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    you can see what processors are supported. You can see there is
    one P4 with a 256KB cache, and that could be a Willemette. The
    rest appear to be Northwood based. There are no Prescotts listed
    on the page, so I wouldn't try one of those (the Vcore a Prescott
    needs, might not be available or coded properly for your
    motherboard).

    Another interesting thing on that page, is the 3.06GHz/533 processor
    requires a revision 1.02 motherboard. That is likely just to get
    Hyperthreading support. If you don't have revision 1.02 or later
    motherboard, then you likely won't get Hyperthreading to work
    (no big loss).

    Another issue can be power consumption. What I would do, is look
    up the data for a 3.06GHz/533 processor, see how much current it
    draws, then compare to the current your FSB800 processor draws.
    The 3.06Ghz draws 65.4 amps at roughly 1.5V . The amperage is the
    most important factor, as the amps cause heating of the MOSFETs,
    and at some level, saturation of the powdered iron toroids.
    The 3.0Ghz/FSB800/512KB Northwood draws 64.8 amps at again,
    roughly 1.5V , so even if it could be run at full speed, there
    is sufficient current. Since power is proportion to FCV**2, the
    reduction in F would lead to a directly proportional reduction in
    power - the current drawn will be roughly reduced by a factor
    533/800. So, you are well covered there.

    ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864312.pdf

    Next comes the BIOS. Asus BIOS try to ascertain various amounts
    of information about a processor. On an AMD board, there is some
    kind of profile used, and so the BIOS likes to match the processor
    it finds, to that profile. (Without more info on chipsets and
    the like, it is pretty hard to determine exactly what is being
    "tuned" in the profile.) On the Intel side, many of the most
    recent processors have had certain features added (EIST speed
    step, EMT64 extension, PRB for Prescott 4A/4B power type), which
    while not necessarily failing to post completely, may lead to
    not getting full performance.

    That being said, a FSB800 Northwood likely doesn't have that
    much different a multiplier. Say we compare a 2.53/533 to a
    3.0/800, the 2.53 would be 133 x 19, and the 3.00 would be
    200 x 15. Running the 3.00 at 133 x 15 gives 2Ghz as your speed.

    The only thing that will likely go missing, is the microcode
    loader. A 3.06/533 processor will have a different family code
    than a 3.0/800 processor, and you may see a BIOS warning about
    the missing code. WinXP and perhaps WinXP SP1 will likely load
    the required microcode for you, leaving the boot interval as
    the longest period the processor will be run without the
    proper microcode patches. (SP2 will likely fall on its face,
    if you don't fix the microcode :-)))

    New microcode can be added to an old BIOS, as long as CTMC
    can be used to add the code. It really depends on whether your
    BIOS is Award or AMI, as CTMC only works with an Award BIOS.
    (See page 311 section 8.10.4 for info on INT 15h 0xD042 call.)

    http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumii/manuals/24319202.pdf

    I would say the odds are excellent, of being able to run the
    Northwood. Jamming a CeleronD (Prescott core) in there should
    yield a black screen. Putting a Prescott FSB800 in there, I
    have no idea what might happen - the results could be a little
    more positive than the CeleronD experience, but there is more
    potential for a black screen with that choice as well.

    I say with the Northwood, "go for it" :-)

    Do some Googling on CTMC and microcode,
    to find out how to extract a 2KB microcode segment for your
    new processor, from another motherboard's downloadable BIOS
    file, and then add it to your board. The CTMC method has the
    advantage that it doesn't endanger the BIOS like trying to hack
    a completely new BIOS file. CTMC uses a BIOS hook, to write
    the microcode to a 2KB location reserved in the flash ROM for
    it, and the rest of the BIOS code is untouched. Since the 2KB
    location is "volatile", you may have to repeat the CTMC update,
    if you change processor types a lot on the board. The BIOS
    warning will tell you, if the 2KB segment ever gets overwritten
    by some other microcode.

    Post back how it works out.

    HTH,
    Paul

    I've read somewhere that it actually works. Hard to believe. The P4B533-E
    motherboard is apparently stable up to about 212 FSB.

    Better make sure you keep the RAM divider down though if you set the FSB to
    200.

    "John Manning" <john.t.manning@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I can't afford to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at the same time, so I
    > would like to run an 800MHz FSB Northwood P4 in an Asus P4B533-E. I know
    > that the CPU will be underclocked in this case but will it still work
    until
    > I can buy a motherboard that supports an 800MHz FSB?
    >
    > Has anyone tried something like this?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > John

    If you try it, can you please let us know how it goes. I'd be impressed if
    it works.

    "John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I've read somewhere that it actually works. Hard to believe. The P4B533-E
    > motherboard is apparently stable up to about 212 FSB.
    >
    > Better make sure you keep the RAM divider down though if you set the FSB
    > 200.
    >

    > "John Manning" <john.t.manning@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I can't afford to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at the same time, so I
    > > would like to run an 800MHz FSB Northwood P4 in an Asus P4B533-E. I
    know
    > > that the CPU will be underclocked in this case but will it still work
    > until
    > > I can buy a motherboard that supports an 800MHz FSB?
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried something like this?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > John

Asus CPUs Motherboards