Unknown Device - External USB drives

I run XP Pro. I have been using 2 x 80gb external USB
drives of different manufacturers to back-up my internal
drive. Yesterday both of these disks when connected came
up as "unknown device" then said "ready to use" but they
are not seen in file mgr. I have tried starting in safe
mode and deleting and rediscovering the device etc but
the same thing happens. I have even deleted the USB
directory in the registry but the same thing happens.
The USB port works fine as it does see a 64mb thumb disk
drive. The external devices also work on a laptop
running XP Pro. Given XP is usually good in this area I
am not sure what to do next???? Fraser
3 answers Last reply
More about unknown device external drives

    Fraser, take a look here
    http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm

    "Fraser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I run XP Pro. I have been using 2 x 80gb external USB
    > drives of different manufacturers to back-up my internal
    > drive. Yesterday both of these disks when connected came
    > up as "unknown device" then said "ready to use" but they
    > are not seen in file mgr. I have tried starting in safe
    > mode and deleting and rediscovering the device etc but
    > the same thing happens. I have even deleted the USB
    > directory in the registry but the same thing happens.
    > The USB port works fine as it does see a 64mb thumb disk
    > drive. The external devices also work on a laptop
    > running XP Pro. Given XP is usually good in this area I
    > am not sure what to do next???? Fraser

    "Fraser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I run XP Pro. I have been using 2 x 80gb external USB
    > drives of different manufacturers to back-up my internal
    > drive. Yesterday both of these disks when connected came
    > up as "unknown device" then said "ready to use" but they
    > are not seen in file mgr. I have tried starting in safe
    > mode and deleting and rediscovering the device etc but
    > the same thing happens. I have even deleted the USB
    > directory in the registry but the same thing happens.
    > The USB port works fine as it does see a 64mb thumb disk
    > drive. The external devices also work on a laptop
    > running XP Pro. Given XP is usually good in this area I
    > am not sure what to do next???? Fraser

    Try this. I used it to solve an unknown device problem with a USB memory
    key.

    1 - Start XP in safe mode, by pressing F8 repeatedly while the computer is
    booting. Then select "Safe Mode" from the top of the list and press Enter.

    2 - Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware >Device Manager. Select View,
    and then show hidden devices. Select Storage Volumes (should be near the
    bottom) then right click on (any) Generic Volume(s) and click "uninstall".
    Do this repeatedly until they no longer uninstall. Do the same for any other
    USB devices (leave the USB controllers section until last).

    3 - Then go to the USB controllers section and uninstall everything that can
    be found there. Don't worry, they will be re-detected on re-boot. When they
    are all gone, re-boot the computer. The computer will detect your USB ports
    and re-install them. It will probably ask you to re-start after this, but if
    it does not, do it anyway.

    4 - Plug in your USB device(s) and cross your fingers.

    Marcus

    Marcus...thanks for your suggestion. I have tried this
    and no luck. I see a new posting today called mass
    storage that seems virtually the same as me so it might
    be a bigger problem.....maybe with a Windows
    update ?...Fraser

External USB Devices Windows XP