properly installing 1 WD Sata Hd..help..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2005 4:47:54 PM

ok.. I've got an Asus P4P800Se Mobo.. a WDC SATA hd (brand new)..
now right now everything is working.. i have my o/s on it.. boots up
..
now..

I also have 1 IDE hd connected that I have no use for..
So I tried to unplugging my ide drive and to see if windows would boot
up.. and well it didn't . Gave me an error bout ntldr or something like
that....
So i did some research about fixmbr .. i did a fixboot in dos..
and ummm i rebooted but with the ide not connected and still get the
same err msg..
so now i'm planning on formatting my sata hd .. have the ide
disconnected... boot up my windows xp pro disc.. format that way and
install the o/s on the sata..
now once that is all complete.. and my ide is not connected..will i
still get that error msg?....

thanks

Mike

--
mikeylbl
Anonymous

"mikeylbl" <mikeylbl.1jxqjm@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> ok.. I've got an Asus P4P800Se Mobo.. a WDC SATA hd (brand new)..
> now right now everything is working.. i have my o/s on it.. boots up
> .
> now..
>
> I also have 1 IDE hd connected that I have no use for..
> So I tried to unplugging my ide drive and to see if windows would boot
> up.. and well it didn't . Gave me an error bout ntldr or something like
> that....
> So i did some research about fixmbr .. i did a fixboot in dos..
> and ummm i rebooted but with the ide not connected and still get the
> same err msg..
> so now i'm planning on formatting my sata hd .. have the ide
> disconnected... boot up my windows xp pro disc.. format that way and
> install the o/s on the sata..
> now once that is all complete.. and my ide is not connected..will i
> still get that error msg?....

Did you set the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive?
!