File Transfer using 54Mbps Wireless Adaptor/Router

Hi - I'm new to Networks so please bear with me...
I've just bought a D-LINK 'Air-Plus G' 54Mbps router and wireless laptop
adaptor. I've set everything up ok and I've been experimenting with file
transfer between my wired desktop and wireless laptop. I transferred a 125MB
folder in 2 mins - and I worked this out as only 8.3Mbps (using
125MBx8/120secs). Can someone tell me if my math is wrong - or whether I'm
right to be concerned.
Thanks, Rupert.
2 answers Last reply
More about file transfer 54mbps wireless adaptor router

    P.S. Actually having tested transferring this folder a few times it takes
    between 2 and 5 mins.

    "Rupert" wrote:

    > Hi - I'm new to Networks so please bear with me...
    > I've just bought a D-LINK 'Air-Plus G' 54Mbps router and wireless laptop
    > adaptor. I've set everything up ok and I've been experimenting with file
    > transfer between my wired desktop and wireless laptop. I transferred a 125MB
    > folder in 2 mins - and I worked this out as only 8.3Mbps (using
    > 125MBx8/120secs). Can someone tell me if my math is wrong - or whether I'm
    > right to be concerned.
    > Thanks, Rupert.

    The 54mbps is a bidirectional number, think of it like
    half duplex. Also your signal will degrade depending on
    how close you are to the AP, any walls, any interference...

Wireless Routers File Transfer Wireless Networking