A8N-SLI with Crucial RAM

I usually buy Crucial RAM from www.dabs.com - anyone used this successfully
with the A8N-SLI motherboard?

Thanks, Rob.

You will probably be happier with Corsair RAM...it's the best that money can
buy, and the company is the most reputable computer peripheral company I
have ever dealt with.

Bobby

Rob Nicholson wrote:
> I usually buy Crucial RAM from www.dabs.com - anyone used this
> successfully with the A8N-SLI motherboard?

Why would you buy Crucial RAM from Dabs? Buy it from Crucial, they deliver
free and usually next day. They are a joy to deal with.

I usually buy Corsair though, but it depends entirely on what you want.

Ben

I've put a gig of Crucial's Ballistix 3200 RAM on my A8N - SLI board and its
a rock solid performer. Arrived the next day too. Here's the link
http://www.crucial.com/uk/ballistix/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=1524919CA5CA7304&WSMD=A8N%2DSLI+Deluxe&WSPN=BL6464Z402

HTH Jon

"Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote in message
>I usually buy Crucial RAM from www.dabs.com - anyone used this successfully
>with the A8N-SLI motherboard?
>
> Thanks, Rob.

> I've put a gig of Crucial's Ballistix 3200 RAM on my A8N - SLI board and
> its a rock solid performer. Arrived the next day too. Here's the link

What's so special about the Ballistix memory? When I go through the Crucial
memory picker, the most popular choice is:

http://tinyurl.com/69tsd

It's considerable cheaper and I'm not going to be overclocking this system.

Cheers, Rob.

> It's considerable cheaper and I'm not going to be overclocking this
> system.

And neither to the flashing LEDs appeal - it'll be inside a case!

Rob.

> You will probably be happier with Corsair RAM...it's the best that money
> can buy, and the company is the most reputable computer peripheral company
> I have ever dealt with.

Hmm, their web site appears to be down - not a good advert :)

> Hmm, their web site appears to be down - not a good advert :)

And the Kingston UK website gives SQL errors LOL

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>> You will probably be happier with Corsair RAM...it's the best that
>> money can buy, and the company is the most reputable computer
>> peripheral company I have ever dealt with.
>
> Hmm, their web site appears to be down - not a good advert :)

Odd, it was fine when I made my post and is ok now.

Ben

Rob Nicholson wrote:
> What's so special about the Ballistix memory? When I go through the
> Crucial memory picker, the most popular choice is:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/69tsd
>
> It's considerable cheaper and I'm not going to be overclocking this
> system.

It's CL2, instead of CL3 for the above part.

It makes a little difference in speed.

I guess it depends on whether you want to make the most of memory bandwidth
limited tasks.

Ben

> Odd, it was fine when I made my post and is ok now.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/ ??

I'm getting cannot find server.

Cheers, Rob.

> I guess it depends on whether you want to make the most of memory
> bandwidth limited tasks.

All I want to do is play this copy of Doom 3 that I was bought for Christmas
:)

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>> I guess it depends on whether you want to make the most of memory
>> bandwidth limited tasks.
>
> All I want to do is play this copy of Doom 3 that I was bought for
> Christmas :)

You may find that CL2 helps a little, but only you can see which side of the
cost/performance trade-off you want to be. Also, I'd like to say that 1GB
of CL3 RAM would be much better than 512MB of CL2. 1GB of CL2 is nice
though.

These things (CL2 instead of 3) are more about squeezing the last few
percent.

Ben

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>> Odd, it was fine when I made my post and is ok now.
>
> http://www.corsairmicro.com/ ??
>
> I'm getting cannot find server.

My bad, I was talking about Crucial.

Yes, corsairmicro seems to be down, it's odd though:
www.corsairmicro.com. 38400 CNAME corsairmicro.com.

If you go to http://corsairmicro.com you get a 403 - Forbidden.

Going to www I get a DNS error (I guess some nameservers have the CNAME and
others not). Some of their records are 48 hours, so it could be a couple of
days before it's sorted, if it is a DNS problem.

Ben

Bad script on the front page... try this...

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

Bobby

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> Bad script on the front page... try this...
>
> http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

My nameserver currently has no idea who www is.

Ben

> Bad script on the front page... try this...

Ta!

> These things (CL2 instead of 3) are more about squeezing the last few
> percent.

I don't think I'm that demanding :) I'll go for the not-so-fast variety but
will be getting 2 x 512 so I can use that dual bank feature, thingy...

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>> I guess it depends on whether you want to make the most of memory
>> bandwidth limited tasks.
>
> All I want to do is play this copy of Doom 3 that I was bought for
> Christmas :)

This is interesting:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=4

Ben

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:31:42 -0000, "Ben Pope"
<ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rob Nicholson wrote:
>>> I guess it depends on whether you want to make the most of memory
>>> bandwidth limited tasks.
>>
>> All I want to do is play this copy of Doom 3 that I was bought for
>> Christmas :)
>
>This is interesting:
>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=4
>
>Ben

Be aware that Doom 3 has protection in it that if you have Alcohol 120
recording software, Clone CD or Nero Suite it will not run. My
brother-in-law just purchased Doom3 and found that he had to remove
his recording software to get it to run. Didn't use to be that way in
the earlier version but I guess it is now.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:19:10 GMT, "Rob Nicholson"
<rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote:

>I usually buy Crucial RAM from www.dabs.com - anyone used this successfully
>with the A8N-SLI motherboard?
>
>Thanks, Rob.

I'm running Komusa ram and the bandwidth is fantastic for this system.
It runs without any problems at all. I used to love Crucial but this
ram had better specs and I have yet to have a problem.

Tale Gunner wrote:
> Be aware that Doom 3 has protection in it that if you have Alcohol 120
> recording software, Clone CD or Nero Suite it will not run. My
> brother-in-law just purchased Doom3 and found that he had to remove
> his recording software to get it to run. Didn't use to be that way in
> the earlier version but I guess it is now.

I'm not sure how thats relevant. But if it's the case that they disable the
game for having these software installed, thats outrageous. I use Daemon
tools because when I'm developing some software that autoruns, it's a lot
easier to burn to image and read from image than faff around with actually
recording to a cd.

So I suppose that anybody who has ever bought a CD Writer and installed the
included software is now a Doom3 thief?

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:

>>Be aware that Doom 3 has protection in it that if you have Alcohol 120
>>recording software, Clone CD or Nero Suite it will not run. My
>>brother-in-law just purchased Doom3 and found that he had to remove
>>his recording software to get it to run. Didn't use to be that way in
>>the earlier version but I guess it is now.
>
> I'm not sure how thats relevant. But if it's the case that they disable the
> game for having these software installed, thats outrageous. I use Daemon
> tools because when I'm developing some software that autoruns, it's a lot
> easier to burn to image and read from image than faff around with actually
> recording to a cd.
>
> So I suppose that anybody who has ever bought a CD Writer and installed the
> included software is now a Doom3 thief?

This is not new, Need For Speed Underground 2 has this copy protection
as well.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15775&p_created=1095270252&p_li=&p_topview=1

All you need to do is disable the software... Or you can use it to mount
a hacked cd and play the game - best of both worlds I suppose.

I've been playing Doom3 too, but if I find that it won't play because of
Alcohol or Nero installed, it's going straight back to the shop where I
bought it.

> Be aware that Doom 3 has protection in it that if you have Alcohol 120
> recording software, Clone CD or Nero Suite it will not run. My

That's rather OTT! I use Nero as shipped with my DVD burner.