XP Not Recognizing PCMCIA Network Card

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 18, 2005 1:33:04 AM

Hi

I am need help solving the following problem.
Someone posted this question a while ago and I am having this problem but no
solutions were offered, I would appreciate it if anyone could possibly help
me out.
I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a Linksys router. 2
days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
working for no apparent reason. When I went into the "device manager" area
it showed an error
message when checking the network adapter stating that the device cannot
start (code 10). I uninstalled and re-installed the
network card driver, but the error message still exists. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the card. I tried using system restore, but nothing has worked.
I know the card works fine, I tested it on another laptop, and I know my slot
is fine cause I tried one of my old 56k modem cards. What in the world could
it be, the drivers are the most up-to-date. The card is a Linksys WPC-11. It
boggles my mind that it was working fine bt now nothing. I currently run XP
Pro SP2 with every critical and security update installed. I hope someone
could help me and thank you for your time.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:47:14 AM

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this
device. If this does not work then
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
troubleshooting wizard.

"Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am need help solving the following problem.
> Someone posted this question a while ago and I am having this problem but
> no
> solutions were offered, I would appreciate it if anyone could possibly
> help
> me out.
> I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a Linksys router. 2
> days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
> working for no apparent reason. When I went into the "device manager"
> area
> it showed an error
> message when checking the network adapter stating that the device cannot
> start (code 10). I uninstalled and re-installed the
> network card driver, but the error message still exists. I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the card. I tried using system restore, but nothing has
> worked.
> I know the card works fine, I tested it on another laptop, and I know my
> slot
> is fine cause I tried one of my old 56k modem cards. What in the world
> could
> it be, the drivers are the most up-to-date. The card is a Linksys WPC-11.
> It
> boggles my mind that it was working fine bt now nothing. I currently run
> XP
> Pro SP2 with every critical and security update installed. I hope someone
> could help me and thank you for your time.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:50:38 AM

Also, you could be having a IRQ conflict with another device. Try changing
the IRQ resources for your PCMCIA card and see if that works.

"Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am need help solving the following problem.
> Someone posted this question a while ago and I am having this problem but
> no
> solutions were offered, I would appreciate it if anyone could possibly
> help
> me out.
> I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a Linksys router. 2
> days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
> working for no apparent reason. When I went into the "device manager"
> area
> it showed an error
> message when checking the network adapter stating that the device cannot
> start (code 10). I uninstalled and re-installed the
> network card driver, but the error message still exists. I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the card. I tried using system restore, but nothing has
> worked.
> I know the card works fine, I tested it on another laptop, and I know my
> slot
> is fine cause I tried one of my old 56k modem cards. What in the world
> could
> it be, the drivers are the most up-to-date. The card is a Linksys WPC-11.
> It
> boggles my mind that it was working fine bt now nothing. I currently run
> XP
> Pro SP2 with every critical and security update installed. I hope someone
> could help me and thank you for your time.
Related resources
January 18, 2005 9:35:04 AM

Already had the newest drivers. but I did a system restore to 3 days ago,
before i installed any updated or programs and now it works. just wish i knew
what program or update is making it not work.
January 18, 2005 7:15:03 PM

Is there any way to tell which update exactly is making the card not start?
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:00:03 AM

Check eventlog for messages from the driver.
They should tell exactly why it refuses to start.
--PA

"Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3833629-30DB-4CEC-AF06-8F0FAECFB4E0@microsoft.com...
> Is there any way to tell which update exactly is making the card not start?
January 19, 2005 6:00:04 AM

I thank you for your response but I have one last question, where can I find
the event log, in the device manager or control panel? I apologize but I'm a
little new to hardware situations, I'm used to the software aspect of
computers.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Check eventlog for messages from the driver.
> They should tell exactly why it refuses to start.
> --PA
>
> "Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3833629-30DB-4CEC-AF06-8F0FAECFB4E0@microsoft.com...
> > Is there any way to tell which update exactly is making the card not start?

January 19, 2005 6:00:05 AM

Joseph wrote:

> I thank you for your response but I have one last question, where can
> I find the event log, in the device manager or control panel? I
> apologize but I'm a little new to hardware situations, I'm used to the
> software aspect of computers.

You don't need to apologize! Start>Run eventvwr.msc [enter]

It would also be good to look at the device in Device Manager (System
applet in Control Panel) and make sure there is no yellow exclamation
mark next to it. I very much doubt this has anything to do with IRQ's
since modern operating systems like XP don't have the old IRQ
limitations. You mentioned that you have the most recent drivers. If
there is wireless management software that came with the card, try
disabling it and allowing Windows to manage the wireless connection.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Joseph wrote:
> *Hi
>
> I am need help solving the following problem.
> Someone posted this question a while ago and I am having this problem
> but no
> solutions were offered, I would appreciate it if anyone could
> possibly help
> me out.
> I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a Linksys
> router. 2
> days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro)
> stopped
> working for no apparent reason. When I went into the "device
> manager" area
> it showed an error
> message when checking the network adapter stating that the device
> cannot
> start (code 10). I uninstalled and re-installed the
> network card driver, but the error message still exists. I
> uninstalled and
> reinstalled the card. I tried using system restore, but nothing has
> worked.
> I know the card works fine, I tested it on another laptop, and I know
> my slot
> is fine cause I tried one of my old 56k modem cards. What in the
> world could
> it be, the drivers are the most up-to-date. The card is a Linksys
> WPC-11. It
> boggles my mind that it was working fine bt now nothing. I currently
> run XP
> Pro SP2 with every critical and security update installed. I hope
> someone
> could help me and thank you for your time. *

Hello All. I am having basically the same problem and hope someone can
help. I have been using a PCMCIA Linksys-B card for over 6 months with
no problem. Yesterday morning for no reason it just quit working - the
connection disappeared from my laptop. I tried re-intalling the driver
and XP just kept saying it found an "Ethernet Controller" but not my
Wireless Card. I kept getting the Error Code 10. I thought maybe the
card was bad so I went and bought a new linksys G card. It installed
perfectly right away and worked fine for around 6 hours and then the
same thing happened - error code 10, and XP keeps saying it has found
an Ethernet Controller but the Linksys CD won't work for installing the
driver. One caveat is just before this all started yesterday I got a
blue screen in XP and it basically stopped with an error about some
invalid integer etc. When I tried to just run the Linksys CD I get an
error message " is not an integer value. Any help is appreciated.
Sincerely...Mel

--
wville_trader