K8N-E Deluxe - BIOS Can't Detect Drives

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2005 11:50:24 PM

Brand spanking new from Newegg to replace my old Celeron 500/ Abit BE6 II
machine:

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 2800
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600Pro (256MB)
256MX2 DDR400 PC3200
Western Digital IDE 80GB 7200RPM 8MB
ANTEC Solution Series Super Mid Tower Case (350W)

I pulled the floppy and CD-ROM drives off the old computer (both were working
fine).

Put it all together today, plugged her in and it posts fine. The bios sees
the floppy drive but not the HD or CD-ROM. I've checked jumper settings, I
made sure the cables were plugged in tight and right and even changed out the
brand new cables with the old ones. It still won't see the IDE drives.

<SIGH> Is this a bad board (or bad IDE ports)? Have I overlooked something?
Any suggestions on what to try next?

TIA,
Lew
February 6, 2005 2:39:59 AM

have you tried just one IDE device?
possibly, the IDE is disabled in BIOS?

"Lewis Thomas" <lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote in message
> Brand spanking new from Newegg to replace my old Celeron 500/ Abit BE6 II
> machine:
>
> ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
> AMD Athlon 64 2800
> Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600Pro (256MB)
> 256MX2 DDR400 PC3200
> Western Digital IDE 80GB 7200RPM 8MB
> ANTEC Solution Series Super Mid Tower Case (350W)
>
> I pulled the floppy and CD-ROM drives off the old computer (both were
> working
> fine).
>
> Put it all together today, plugged her in and it posts fine. The bios
> sees
> the floppy drive but not the HD or CD-ROM. I've checked jumper settings,
> made sure the cables were plugged in tight and right and even changed out
> the
> brand new cables with the old ones. It still won't see the IDE drives.
>
> <SIGH> Is this a bad board (or bad IDE ports)? Have I overlooked
> something?
> Any suggestions on what to try next?
>
> TIA,
> Lew
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2005 7:18:18 AM

Lewis Thomas <lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote:
>Brand spanking new from Newegg to replace my old Celeron 500/ Abit BE6 II
>machine:
>
>ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
>AMD Athlon 64 2800
>Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600Pro (256MB)
>256MX2 DDR400 PC3200
>Western Digital IDE 80GB 7200RPM 8MB
>ANTEC Solution Series Super Mid Tower Case (350W)
>
>I pulled the floppy and CD-ROM drives off the old computer (both were
>working
>fine).
>
>Put it all together today, plugged her in and it posts fine. The bios
>sees
>the floppy drive but not the HD or CD-ROM. I've checked jumper settings,
>made sure the cables were plugged in tight and right and even changed out
>the
>brand new cables with the old ones. It still won't see the IDE drives.
>
><SIGH> Is this a bad board (or bad IDE ports)? Have I overlooked
>something?
>Any suggestions on what to try next?
>
>TIA,
>Lew

Go into the bios and make sure it's set to support IDE as primary.

Nickeldome

a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2005 12:27:49 AM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:50:24 -0500, Lewis Thomas
<lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote:

>Brand spanking new from Newegg to replace my old Celeron 500/ Abit BE6 II
>machine:
>
>ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
>AMD Athlon 64 2800
>Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600Pro (256MB)
>256MX2 DDR400 PC3200
>Western Digital IDE 80GB 7200RPM 8MB
>ANTEC Solution Series Super Mid Tower Case (350W)
>
>I pulled the floppy and CD-ROM drives off the old computer (both were working
>fine).
>
>Put it all together today, plugged her in and it posts fine. The bios sees
>the floppy drive but not the HD or CD-ROM. I've checked jumper settings, I
>made sure the cables were plugged in tight and right and even changed out the
>brand new cables with the old ones. It still won't see the IDE drives.
>
><SIGH> Is this a bad board (or bad IDE ports)? Have I overlooked something?
>Any suggestions on what to try next?
>
>TIA,
>Lew

Hi Lew,
Take a look at the helpful posts to my initial query (05/02/2005)
about my K8N (not Deluxe) titled "K8N - Cannot load O.S. Is this a
dead board?"
Lots of advice - clearing the CMOS worked for me.
Good luck

MH_L
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 7:50:01 PM

Make sure that the CD-ROM and the HD are on different ATA channels.
Make sure that the cables are oriented correctly. Make sure that the
power plugs are pushed in all the way. Also, try using the CABLE SELECT
setting on the HD. The CD-ROM can still use master/slave. The BIOS
should automatically detect the drives every time it boots. You should
not need to reset the CMOS RAM settings. I believe that you can go into
the BIOS and force it to identify the drives. Most BIOS' let you do
that.

One other thing. Check for a bent pin on the drives or the motherboard
PATA socket. That can certainly screw it up.

Arnie
!