Cable Modem

My cable company had reason to work on my cable and advised me they would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was no reason to turn my computer off.

Whilst the work was being done i could hear my computer making that pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection / hardware i estimate it must have pinged about thirty times in the space of a minute.

When the work was done i was asked to test my modem. I informed them it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This brought up the blue screen with an error message "System failure due to recently installed hardware"

The engineer tried everything to get the computer going and as a last resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.

The cable company are now saying it was nothing to do with them and as they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been them that caused the problem and have washed their hands of the situation.

I dont have enough technical knowledge to come back at them but to me it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out there offer any help as to what might have happened - I'm thnking some kind of short ???????

Hello

Well the question is, prior to them working on the line, were
you able to connect to the internet. yes or No. Also once they
completed the work, has your line been back up since. To some
degree their right since they never touched your pc or modem
they can say that, but check and make sure that your line
is up and working first.

Alvin

Filly wrote:

> My cable company had reason to work on my cable and advised me they would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was no reason to turn my computer off.
>
> Whilst the work was being done i could hear my computer making that pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection / hardware i estimate it must have pinged about thirty times in the space of a minute.
>
> When the work was done i was asked to test my modem. I informed them it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This brought up the blue screen with an error message "System failure due to recently installed hardware"
>
> The engineer tried everything to get the computer going and as a last resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.
>
> The cable company are now saying it was nothing to do with them and as they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been them that caused the problem and have washed their hands of the situation.
>
> I dont have enough technical knowledge to come back at them but to me it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out there offer any help as to what might have happened - I'm thnking some kind of short ???????

Hello Alvin

My cable modem was working fine for the last 3 years as was my PC my modem and PC are working fine after the event.

Although the cable company didn't physically touch my pc the signal they interupted comes into my pc via the modem - that signal was interupted i estimate 30 times in less than a minute and my PC crashes it just seems to much of a coincidence.

Thanks

"Alvin Brown" wrote:

> Hello
>
> Well the question is, prior to them working on the line, were
> you able to connect to the internet. yes or No. Also once they
> completed the work, has your line been back up since. To some
> degree their right since they never touched your pc or modem
> they can say that, but check and make sure that your line
> is up and working first.
>
> Alvin
>

> Filly wrote:
>
> > My cable company had reason to work on my cable and advised me they would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was no reason to turn my computer off.
> >
> > Whilst the work was being done i could hear my computer making that pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection / hardware i estimate it must have pinged about thirty times in the space of a minute.
> >
> > When the work was done i was asked to test my modem. I informed them it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This brought up the blue screen with an error message "System failure due to recently installed hardware"
> >
> > The engineer tried everything to get the computer going and as a last resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.
> >
> > The cable company are now saying it was nothing to do with them and as they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been them that caused the problem and have washed their hands of the situation.
> >
> > I dont have enough technical knowledge to come back at them but to me it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out there offer any help as to what might have happened - I'm thnking some kind of short ???????

dl

The only possibility I could see would be if a surge was sent down yr cable
line whilst this was going on, and that would have fried yr cable modem.
No hardware could have been installed if the pc was inactive, ie it wasnt
rebooted.
The only other thing that could have entered an inactive connected pc would
be a virus, if you had no firewall.

"Filly" <Filly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Alvin
>
> My cable modem was working fine for the last 3 years as was my PC my modem
and PC are working fine after the event.

> Although the cable company didn't physically touch my pc the signal they
interupted comes into my pc via the modem - that signal was interupted i
estimate 30 times in less than a minute and my PC crashes it just seems to
much of a coincidence.

> Thanks
>
> "Alvin Brown" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Well the question is, prior to them working on the line, were
> > you able to connect to the internet. yes or No. Also once they
> > completed the work, has your line been back up since. To some
> > degree their right since they never touched your pc or modem
> > they can say that, but check and make sure that your line
> > is up and working first.
> >
> > Alvin
> >

> > Filly wrote:
> >
> > > My cable company had reason to work on my cable and advised me they
would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was no reason to turn
my computer off.

> > > Whilst the work was being done i could hear my computer making that
pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection / hardware i estimate
it must have pinged about thirty times in the space of a minute.

> > > When the work was done i was asked to test my modem. I informed them
it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This brought up the
blue screen with an error message "System failure due to recently installed
hardware"

> > > The engineer tried everything to get the computer going and as a last
resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.

> > > The cable company are now saying it was nothing to do with them and as
they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been them that caused
the problem and have washed their hands of the situation.

> > > I dont have enough technical knowledge to come back at them but to me
it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out there offer any help
as to what might have happened - I'm thnking some kind of short ???????

Pay no attention to Alvin--he's an idiot. It seems to me
that the cable technician was anticipating a problem or
he wouldn't have asked you to test the modem. If the
company's position is that they are not at fault because
they didn't physiclly touch the modem, I would suggest to
the person making that lame excuse that you would be
happy to visit their office with a car battery and a set
of cables in order to conduct an experiment on some of
*their* equipment, in order to see if it's possible to
put something out of commission without actually touching
it.

the cable company admit anything at all? lol. any damage done? call
management and explain what happened.. be persistent and polite and they
will repair or replace damaged equipment. data loss... you gotta protect
yourself. any work being done to anything connected to your computer, it's a
safer route to logoff, shutdown and unplug.

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

"Filly" <Filly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Alvin
>
> My cable modem was working fine for the last 3 years as was my PC my modem
and PC are working fine after the event.

> Although the cable company didn't physically touch my pc the signal they
interupted comes into my pc via the modem - that signal was interupted i
estimate 30 times in less than a minute and my PC crashes it just seems to
much of a coincidence.

> Thanks
>
> "Alvin Brown" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Well the question is, prior to them working on the line, were
> > you able to connect to the internet. yes or No. Also once they
> > completed the work, has your line been back up since. To some
> > degree their right since they never touched your pc or modem
> > they can say that, but check and make sure that your line
> > is up and working first.
> >
> > Alvin
> >

> > Filly wrote:
> >
> > > My cable company had reason to work on my cable and advised me they
would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was no reason to turn
my computer off.

> > > Whilst the work was being done i could hear my computer making that
pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection / hardware i estimate
it must have pinged about thirty times in the space of a minute.

> > > When the work was done i was asked to test my modem. I informed them
it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This brought up the
blue screen with an error message "System failure due to recently installed
hardware"

> > > The engineer tried everything to get the computer going and as a last
resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.

> > > The cable company are now saying it was nothing to do with them and as
they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been them that caused
the problem and have washed their hands of the situation.

> > > I dont have enough technical knowledge to come back at them but to me
it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out there offer any help
as to what might have happened - I'm thnking some kind of short ???????

btw, these guys are notorious for steamrolling "ignorant" consumers. if
management gives you no satisfaction, politely inform them that your next
call will be the better business bureau.they will jump or call your bluff.
the bbb will at least get a formal complaint filed if not help you get a new
modem if its blown.

--

"Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
> the cable company admit anything at all? lol. any damage done? call
> management and explain what happened.. be persistent and polite and they
> will repair or replace damaged equipment. data loss... you gotta protect
> yourself. any work being done to anything connected to your computer, it's
> safer route to logoff, shutdown and unplug.
>
> --
> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
> someone with more"
>

> "Filly" <Filly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Alvin
> >
> > My cable modem was working fine for the last 3 years as was my PC my
modem
> and PC are working fine after the event.
> >
> > Although the cable company didn't physically touch my pc the signal they
> interupted comes into my pc via the modem - that signal was interupted i
> estimate 30 times in less than a minute and my PC crashes it just seems to
> much of a coincidence.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Alvin Brown" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Well the question is, prior to them working on the line, were
> > > you able to connect to the internet. yes or No. Also once they
> > > completed the work, has your line been back up since. To some
> > > degree their right since they never touched your pc or modem
> > > they can say that, but check and make sure that your line
> > > is up and working first.
> > >
> > > Alvin

> would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was no reason to turn
> my computer off.

> pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection / hardware i
estimate
> it must have pinged about thirty times in the space of a minute.

> it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This brought up the
> blue screen with an error message "System failure due to recently
installed
> hardware"

> resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.

> they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been them that caused
> the problem and have washed their hands of the situation.

> it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out there offer any help
> as to what might have happened - I'm thnking some kind of short ???????

No one can responsibly answer your question without some
basic technical information such as Operating System, hardware
(ie. was it internal or external modem), disk file system,
etc.

Other important facts also should be provided. If incoming
cable was properly connected to building earth ground, then
anything out on that pole should not have affected your
computer. However does the cable drop down and connect
cable's ground block directly to the same earth ground used by
AC electric and telephone - before entering the building? If
not, then electrical transients might have caused computer
problems.

Just another little and important fact so that others can
answer based upon technical knowledge. How does your cable
enter the building? Did they even earth it? Or did they
pretend to earth it by connecting to a water facet?

BTW, they are called linemen. Engineers have too much
knowledge and therefore are too expensive to visit a
customer's site; to reload Windows.

Filly wrote:
> My cable company had reason to work on my cable and advised me
> they would have to splice the cable. I was informed there was
> no reason to turn my computer off.
>
> Whilst the work was being done i could hear my computer making
> that pinging noise it makes when it finds a new connection /
> hardware i estimate it must have pinged about thirty times in
> the space of a minute.
>
> When the work was done i was asked to test my modem. I informed
> them it wasn't working and advised to reboot my computer. This
> brought up the blue screen with an error message "System failure
> due to recently installed hardware"
>
> The engineer tried everything to get the computer going and as a
> last resort reinstalled windows - problem fixed.
>
> The cable company are now saying it was nothing to do with them
> and as they physically didn't touch the modem it can't have been
> them that caused the problem and have washed their hands of the
> situation.
>
> I dont have enough technical knowledge to come back at them but
> to me it's obvious they caused the problem. Can anybody out
> there offer any help as to what might have happened - I'm
> thnking some kind of short ???????

TRENDING THREADS