Asus A8V LAN

I am using the onboard Gigabit LAN to have a p2p network with a PC in
another room with an independent NIC. The Asus is the host which shares the
internet connection with the other PC along with file and network sharing.
Everything works absolutely fine.

The only problem is, every so often, a balloon pops out of the icon in the
system tray to say "a network cable is unplugged" and then immediately says
"LAN is now connected".

Has anyone had the same problems with this?

I was using the other PC as the host (before I got the Asus) with another PC
and that worked fine with no connection loss. Therefore, it must be the
Asus LAN. I have tried to get hold of an updated driver for the gigabit
lan, but cannot find one to try.

Thanks for any help.

moon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Dnia Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:35:46 GMT, postmaniak BaBeL FiSh odwa¿y³ siê
napisaæ:

> The only problem is, every so often, a balloon pops out of the icon in the
> system tray to say "a network cable is unplugged" and then immediately says
> "LAN is now connected".

First of all - is that second NIC also Gigabit?
First thought - check here:
Control Panel -> Netowrk Connections->Right click on your LAN
connection->Properties->General->Configure button->Power management (sorry
if the tabs are different in english version, I use Polish version and I'm
not sure if I remember how are they named in english version on Windows).
Here you should have both options UNCHECKED ("Allow this computer" and so
on). This might help.

As for the drivers... they are here:)
http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do?keywords=&selectedProductCategory=PC+Connectivity&selectedProductFamily=Yukon&selectedDriverVersion=&selectedDriverPlatformId=3&submit.x=96&submit.y=3
(I assume you have WindowsXP)
HTH.

Moon.
--
<Moon>
[adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

"Moon" <moon@world.universe> wrote in message
> Dnia Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:35:46 GMT, postmaniak BaBeL FiSh odwa¿y³ siê
> napisaæ:
>
>> The only problem is, every so often, a balloon pops out of the icon in
>> the
>> system tray to say "a network cable is unplugged" and then immediately
>> says
>> "LAN is now connected".
>
> First of all - is that second NIC also Gigabit?
> First thought - check here:
> Control Panel -> Netowrk Connections->Right click on your LAN
> connection->Properties->General->Configure button->Power management (sorry
> if the tabs are different in english version, I use Polish version and I'm
> not sure if I remember how are they named in english version on Windows).
> Here you should have both options UNCHECKED ("Allow this computer" and so
> on). This might help.
>
> As for the drivers... they are here:)
> http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do?keywords=&selectedProductCategory=PC+Connectivity&selectedProductFamily=Yukon&selectedDriverVersion=&selectedDriverPlatformId=3&submit.x=96&submit.y=3
> (I assume you have WindowsXP)
> HTH.
>
> Moon.
> --

Thanks, I will try what you suggested and see how that goes.

"Moon" <moon@world.universe> wrote in message
> Dnia Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:35:46 GMT, postmaniak BaBeL FiSh odwa¿y³ siê
> napisaæ:
>
>> The only problem is, every so often, a balloon pops out of the icon in
>> the
>> system tray to say "a network cable is unplugged" and then immediately
>> says
>> "LAN is now connected".
>
> First of all - is that second NIC also Gigabit?
> First thought - check here:
> Control Panel -> Netowrk Connections->Right click on your LAN
> connection->Properties->General->Configure button->Power management (sorry
> if the tabs are different in english version, I use Polish version and I'm
> not sure if I remember how are they named in english version on Windows).
> Here you should have both options UNCHECKED ("Allow this computer" and so
> on). This might help.
>
> As for the drivers... they are here:)
> http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do?keywords=&selectedProductCategory=PC+Connectivity&selectedProductFamily=Yukon&selectedDriverVersion=&selectedDriverPlatformId=3&submit.x=96&submit.y=3
> (I assume you have WindowsXP)
> HTH.
>
> Moon.
> --
> <Moon>
> [adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

Unchecking those boxes and updated the drivers has not stopped it. Any
other suggestions?

Thanks