P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard Questions

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I purchased an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard and have a few
questions that the included manual did not answer:

1. I will be installing (2x) 512MB PC3200 CL=3 DDR400 2.6v DIMMs.
The manual on page 2-12 instructs to “use the blue DIMM slots first”.
But on page 2-13, table#1, it shows to “populate” both black DIMM slots
when installing 2 Dual-channel DIMMs.

2. The BIOS allows you select different “graphic aperture size”
values, but does not explain how to decide on which setting you should
use. Is the largest size the best? I have a GeForce3 Ti200 TDH 128mb
AGP4 video card.

3. The BIOS has Q-fan control disabled as default. The manual does
not explain why I should enable this function or what “fan speed ratio”
does?

Thanks for your help
Marc B.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:24:02 -0800, Marc <NoSpam@intergate.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>I purchased an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard and have a few
>questions that the included manual did not answer:
>
>1. I will be installing (2x) 512MB PC3200 CL=3 DDR400 2.6v DIMMs.
>The manual on page 2-12 instructs to “use the blue DIMM slots first”.
>But on page 2-13, table#1, it shows to “populate” both black DIMM slots
>when installing 2 Dual-channel DIMMs.

use the "0" slot on each color for dual channel mode....
hint: A0 + B0 = dual channel. A0 + A1 or B0 + B1 = single channel mode

>2. The BIOS allows you select different “graphic aperture size”
>values, but does not explain how to decide on which setting you should
>use. Is the largest size the best? I have a GeForce3 Ti200 TDH 128mb
>AGP4 video card.

use default, say 128...too high and you could actually slow dowm your
system...

>3. The BIOS has Q-fan control disabled as default. The manual does
>not explain why I should enable this function or what “fan speed ratio”
>does?

if your system has "good" airflow, then enable "Q-fan" control and let
the system turn on the fans as needed. In other words, if the system
is not requiring extra cooling, then the ratio set in the bios is what
the fans will run at until more cooling is required.
Otherwise, keep it disabled and your fans will run on full all the
time.
(Speed Up/Down Response Time setting monitors the cpu temperature...)

>Thanks for your help
>Marc B.

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

<Snip>

On 7-Feb-2005, timmy <timmy@teeta.net> wrote:

> >2. The BIOS allows you select different “graphic aperture size”
> >values, but does not explain how to decide on which setting you should
> >use. Is the largest size the best? I have a GeForce3 Ti200 TDH 128mb
> >AGP4 video card.
> >
> use default, say 128...too high and you could actually slow dowm your
> system...

<snip>

Just out of curiosty what effect does the 'graphics aperture size' have?
What does it do?
I have a X800Pro 256Mb in the same board as OP, and set my graphics aperture
size to be the same as the memory on the grfx card.

Ta

Rik

Before you can learn you have to learn to ask the right questions.

It is simply allocating system memory for your video ram buffer.
What you really need to do is try one setting and run pcmark or
similar. Then try another setting and compare benckmarks. I was
surprised to see my benchmarks declining as I increased the aparature
size past 128.
With that much memory on the video controler, you may not even be
utilizing that ram buffer so it may be best to set it to a lower
setting, thus leaving the system memory available to other proccesses.
If you use the newsgroups for binaries, I can post the program for
you...
Here are some good links to help you understand "agp gas":

http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=234

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:06:18 +0000 (UTC),
rikgale@DIESPAMMERSCUMDIEhotmail.com wrote:

><Snip>
>
>On 7-Feb-2005, timmy <timmy@teeta.net> wrote:
>

>> >2. The BIOS allows you select different “graphic aperture size”
>> >values, but does not explain how to decide on which setting you should
>> >use. Is the largest size the best? I have a GeForce3 Ti200 TDH 128mb
>> >AGP4 video card.
>> >
>> use default, say 128...too high and you could actually slow dowm your
>> system...
>>

><snip>
>
>Just out of curiosty what effect does the 'graphics aperture size' have?
>What does it do?
>I have a X800Pro 256Mb in the same board as OP, and set my graphics aperture
>size to be the same as the memory on the grfx card.
>
>Ta
>
>Rik

>Before you can learn you have to learn to ask the right questions.

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you for the info.