moon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

OK, now it's my turn...

My rig based on A8V Deluxe (BIOS v.1009) Rev 2.0 occassionally reboots. I
haven't noticed some special 'reboot circumstances', but (it is ridiculous,
I know:/) - it often (but not always!) reboots the moment I SIT DOWN in
front of my computer and move the mouse (optical, PS/2) or touch the
keyboard.
Below are my specs:

Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester, BOX version)
ASUS A8V Deluxe rev.2.0 motherboard (almost all BIOS settings are defaults,
especially memory settings are set to 'Auto', AGP aperture size=128MB)
ASUS V9999GT Geforce6800GT 128MB
2x512MB RAM Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2 (Dual Channel)
Chieftec 360 Watt PSU
ASUS SmartDoctor (tried every version from 4.54 to 4.60)
NVidia ForceWare drivers (tried 71.25 WHQL and 71.80)
ASUS Probe software
AMD Cool&Quiet enabled (ACPI2.0 in BIOS, C&Q enabled in BIOS, Processor
driver installed in Windows)
CD RW + DVD RW (two IDE drives)
Two HDDs (60GB & 160GB) NOT in RAID (normal IDE, not SATA)

My ASUS Probe readings are (after approx. 2 hours uptime):
CPU Temp : 29 C (OK)
MB Temp : 25 C (OK)
CPU Fan : 3125 rpm (OK)
Power/Chassis Fan: 0 rpm (I don't have one)
+12V : 11,247 V (OK) (isn't it too low? But on the other side, PSU is
rather new)
+5V : 5,107 V (OK)
+3.3V : 3,312 V (OK)
Vcore : 1,12 (OK)

Any ideas what may cause these annoying reboots? NOTHING is overclocked, I
just want to have a STABLE system.
Thanks for any ideas!
--
<Moon>
[adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would check the XP log and see if XP has rebooted your computer. Look in
the admin tools to check the messages. With that system you have I would
upgrade the power supply to at lest a 450. You will have major power drawn
on the 5volt rail. A 360 power supply sounds to small.

Homer
"Moon" <moon@world.universe> wrote in message
> OK, now it's my turn...
>
> My rig based on A8V Deluxe (BIOS v.1009) Rev 2.0 occassionally reboots. I
> haven't noticed some special 'reboot circumstances', but (it is
> ridiculous,
> I know:/) - it often (but not always!) reboots the moment I SIT DOWN in
> front of my computer and move the mouse (optical, PS/2) or touch the
> keyboard.
> Below are my specs:
>
> Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester, BOX version)
> ASUS A8V Deluxe rev.2.0 motherboard (almost all BIOS settings are
> defaults,
> especially memory settings are set to 'Auto', AGP aperture size=128MB)
> ASUS V9999GT Geforce6800GT 128MB
> 2x512MB RAM Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2 (Dual Channel)
> Chieftec 360 Watt PSU
> ASUS SmartDoctor (tried every version from 4.54 to 4.60)
> NVidia ForceWare drivers (tried 71.25 WHQL and 71.80)
> ASUS Probe software
> AMD Cool&Quiet enabled (ACPI2.0 in BIOS, C&Q enabled in BIOS, Processor
> driver installed in Windows)
> CD RW + DVD RW (two IDE drives)
> Two HDDs (60GB & 160GB) NOT in RAID (normal IDE, not SATA)
>
> My ASUS Probe readings are (after approx. 2 hours uptime):
> CPU Temp : 29 C (OK)
> MB Temp : 25 C (OK)
> CPU Fan : 3125 rpm (OK)
> Power/Chassis Fan: 0 rpm (I don't have one)
> +12V : 11,247 V (OK) (isn't it too low? But on the other side, PSU is
> rather new)
> +5V : 5,107 V (OK)
> +3.3V : 3,312 V (OK)
> Vcore : 1,12 (OK)
>
> Any ideas what may cause these annoying reboots? NOTHING is overclocked, I
> just want to have a STABLE system.
> Thanks for any ideas!
> --
> <Moon>
> [adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

moon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Dnia Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:11:59 +0100, postmaniak Moon odwa¿y³ siê napisaæ:

Sorry for messing up but one more thing: it NEVER rebooted during playing
(even long playing high-end games).

--
<Moon>
[adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

I would agree with Homer, you're really pushing your luck in terms of power.
A good quality 420W+ would be the minimum to run that rig and have
stability.

"Homer" <homer@mymamas.com> wrote in message
>I would check the XP log and see if XP has rebooted your computer. Look in
>the admin tools to check the messages. With that system you have I would
>upgrade the power supply to at lest a 450. You will have major power drawn
>on the 5volt rail. A 360 power supply sounds to small.
>
> Homer
> "Moon" <moon@world.universe> wrote in message
>> OK, now it's my turn...
>>
>> My rig based on A8V Deluxe (BIOS v.1009) Rev 2.0 occassionally reboots. I
>> haven't noticed some special 'reboot circumstances', but (it is
>> ridiculous,
>> I know:/) - it often (but not always!) reboots the moment I SIT DOWN in
>> front of my computer and move the mouse (optical, PS/2) or touch the
>> keyboard.
>> Below are my specs:
>>
>> Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester, BOX version)
>> ASUS A8V Deluxe rev.2.0 motherboard (almost all BIOS settings are
>> defaults,
>> especially memory settings are set to 'Auto', AGP aperture size=128MB)
>> ASUS V9999GT Geforce6800GT 128MB
>> 2x512MB RAM Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2 (Dual Channel)
>> Chieftec 360 Watt PSU
>> ASUS SmartDoctor (tried every version from 4.54 to 4.60)
>> NVidia ForceWare drivers (tried 71.25 WHQL and 71.80)
>> ASUS Probe software
>> AMD Cool&Quiet enabled (ACPI2.0 in BIOS, C&Q enabled in BIOS, Processor
>> driver installed in Windows)
>> CD RW + DVD RW (two IDE drives)
>> Two HDDs (60GB & 160GB) NOT in RAID (normal IDE, not SATA)
>>
>> My ASUS Probe readings are (after approx. 2 hours uptime):
>> CPU Temp : 29 C (OK)
>> MB Temp : 25 C (OK)
>> CPU Fan : 3125 rpm (OK)
>> Power/Chassis Fan: 0 rpm (I don't have one)
>> +12V : 11,247 V (OK) (isn't it too low? But on the other side, PSU is
>> rather new)
>> +5V : 5,107 V (OK)
>> +3.3V : 3,312 V (OK)
>> Vcore : 1,12 (OK)
>>
>> Any ideas what may cause these annoying reboots? NOTHING is overclocked,
>> just want to have a STABLE system.
>> Thanks for any ideas!
>> --
>> <Moon>
>> [adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

I have to be careful around my A8V Deluxe or it will also "spontaneously"
reboot. But in my situation it has nothing to do with the MB. I have a
Cooler Master Case with a front metal mesh grill, and if I touch the front
of the case without first discharging the static electrical charge from my
body the computer will reboot. It occurred a couple of time before I
figured out what was causing the reboot. It has something to do with how
close the on/off switch wiring is to the front metal mesh grill.

"Moon" <moon@world.universe> wrote in message
> OK, now it's my turn...
>
> My rig based on A8V Deluxe (BIOS v.1009) Rev 2.0 occassionally reboots. I
> haven't noticed some special 'reboot circumstances', but (it is
> ridiculous,
> I know:/) - it often (but not always!) reboots the moment I SIT DOWN in
> front of my computer and move the mouse (optical, PS/2) or touch the
> keyboard.
> Below are my specs:
>
> Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester, BOX version)
> ASUS A8V Deluxe rev.2.0 motherboard (almost all BIOS settings are
> defaults,
> especially memory settings are set to 'Auto', AGP aperture size=128MB)
> ASUS V9999GT Geforce6800GT 128MB
> 2x512MB RAM Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2 (Dual Channel)
> Chieftec 360 Watt PSU
> ASUS SmartDoctor (tried every version from 4.54 to 4.60)
> NVidia ForceWare drivers (tried 71.25 WHQL and 71.80)
> ASUS Probe software
> AMD Cool&Quiet enabled (ACPI2.0 in BIOS, C&Q enabled in BIOS, Processor
> driver installed in Windows)
> CD RW + DVD RW (two IDE drives)
> Two HDDs (60GB & 160GB) NOT in RAID (normal IDE, not SATA)
>
> My ASUS Probe readings are (after approx. 2 hours uptime):
> CPU Temp : 29 C (OK)
> MB Temp : 25 C (OK)
> CPU Fan : 3125 rpm (OK)
> Power/Chassis Fan: 0 rpm (I don't have one)
> +12V : 11,247 V (OK) (isn't it too low? But on the other side, PSU is
> rather new)
> +5V : 5,107 V (OK)
> +3.3V : 3,312 V (OK)
> Vcore : 1,12 (OK)
>
> Any ideas what may cause these annoying reboots? NOTHING is overclocked, I
> just want to have a STABLE system.
> Thanks for any ideas!
> --
> <Moon>
> [adres Reply-To zaszyfrowany ROT13]

If you're short on voltage oro current some components will eventually die
on you or behave poorly.. They don't like too much but they equally dislike
not enough. I've seen some very unstable systems due to inadequate power or
bad quality power. If you have a good quality PSU, you have better chances.
But you still need enough to feed all the components.
Right now here's my setup:
P4P800, P4 2.6 OC'd to 3.0
4x256 OCZ PC4000 ddr
ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
a second 10/100 nic
a LiteOn 8X DVD-RW
and a pair of Seagate 120Gb SATA drives.
it in an Antec case and I'm using a 380W Antec PSU from a Sonata (very
quiet). If I were going to add any more drives, I'd move up to a larger PSU.
Try to have a 20% safety margin is my advice.

"Moon" <baal80@o2.pl> wrote in message
> OK I've found a solution, at last...:) It is here if U want to read:
> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=365656
>
> BTW, zzipper - what did you mean by saying that "I'm really pushing my
> luck in terms of power"? May I damage sth by using my 360PSU?

I just read your post on the solution...WOW...of all the silly things it was
that? Good troubleshooting!!!! I think that would have taken me a year to
figure out. Happy to hear you got it :)