No ACPI on A7N8X-E Deluxe

I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only APM
capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?

Thanks
Chris
8 answers Last reply
More about acpi a7n8x deluxe

    "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
    > I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
    > mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
    APM
    > capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?

    Check BIOS settings - if XP was installed without ACPI enabled,
    then this is what happens.
    HTH
    --
    Rob

    I haven't seen anything related to ACPI in the BIOS on this system.
    Something was mentioned about checking out nforcehq, but I'm not really
    seeing anything on this site. I still have no ACPI!!!! Please help!!!

    Chris Beatie wrote:
    > I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest
    > BIOS and I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is
    > there any ACPI mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new
    > of a board is only APM capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or
    > have any ideas?

    Check Device Manager -> Computer.

    Should be "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

    Changing it requires some kind of repair install I believe, if you check the
    nForceHQ Asus threads regarding the A7N8X you should find plenty of people
    complaining about ACPI and describing how to turn it on/off with Windows XP.

    Ben

    > I haven't seen anything related to ACPI in the BIOS on this system.
    > Something was mentioned about checking out nforcehq, but I'm not really
    > seeing anything on this site. I still have no ACPI!!!! Please help!!!
    >
    > "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS
    and
    > >I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
    > >mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
    APM
    > >capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?

    Chris, I have an a7n8x-e deluxe at home and will check the BIOS
    settings and report back. I also have two a7n8x 2.0 deluxe's which I
    know have this option - maybe the -e variant doesn't - I'll let you know
    later.
    HTH
    --
    Rob

    "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
    >I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
    >mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only APM
    >capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Chris

    When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is
    available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
    Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is
    ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
    unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
    initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time
    short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation.
    To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
    The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been
    installed is pretty close to zilch.

    Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP,
    the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
    press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6.
    Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
    Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that
    supports ACPI. The choices will be:

    ACPI Multiprocessor PC

    ACPI Uniprocessor PC

    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <<<<<<<<<<

    Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

    MPS Uniprocessor PC

    MPS Multiprocessor PC

    Standard PC

    Standard PC with C-Step i486

    Other

    In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power
    Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use.

    Nickeldome

    There is an option in this board's BIOS

    ACPI suspend to RAM
    that is Disabled by default.

    If it is Enabled, disable it before you reinstall
    Windows. The computer may run after a system repair,
    but I have not tried it.

    "Nickeldome" <test@test.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:
    42099ab5$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
    >>I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
    >>mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
    >>APM
    >>capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Chris
    >>

    > When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is
    > available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
    > Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is
    > ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
    > unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
    > initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time
    > short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation.
    > To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
    > The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been
    > installed is pretty close to zilch.
    >
    > Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP,
    > the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
    > press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6.
    > Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
    > Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that
    > supports ACPI. The choices will be:
    >
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >
    > ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    >
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <<<<<<<<<<
    >
    > Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
    >
    > MPS Uniprocessor PC
    >
    > MPS Multiprocessor PC
    >
    > Standard PC
    >
    > Standard PC with C-Step i486
    >
    > Other
    >
    > In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power
    > Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use.
    >
    > Nickeldome

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    Why would you want to Disable ACPI Suspend to RAM?

    "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
    > There is an option in this board's BIOS
    >
    > ACPI suspend to RAM
    > that is Disabled by default.
    >
    > If it is Enabled, disable it before you reinstall
    > Windows. The computer may run after a system repair,
    > but I have not tried it.
    >

    > "Nickeldome" <test@test.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 42099ab5$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    >> "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>>I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS
    >>>and
    >>>I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
    >>>mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
    >>>APM
    >>>capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Chris
    >>>

    >> When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is
    >> available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
    >> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
    >> Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is
    >> ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
    >> unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
    >> initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time
    >> short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation.
    >> To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
    >> The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been
    >> installed is pretty close to zilch.
    >>
    >> Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP,
    >> the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
    >> press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press
    >> F6.
    >> Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
    >> Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that
    >> supports ACPI. The choices will be:
    >>
    >> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >>
    >> ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    >>
    >> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <<<<<<<<<<
    >>
    >> Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
    >>
    >> MPS Uniprocessor PC
    >>
    >> MPS Multiprocessor PC
    >>
    >> Standard PC
    >>
    >> Standard PC with C-Step i486
    >>
    >> Other
    >>
    >> In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power
    >> Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use.
    >>
    >> Nickeldome

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >> Newsgroups
    >> =----

    Because, apparently, one has to choose between Suspend to RAM
    and Suspend to Disk.

    bkBOd.27$VI1.30232@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Asus Motherboards