No ACPI on A7N8X-E Deluxe

I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only APM
capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

"Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
> I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
> mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
APM
> capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?

Check BIOS settings - if XP was installed without ACPI enabled,
then this is what happens.
HTH
--
Rob

I haven't seen anything related to ACPI in the BIOS on this system.
Something was mentioned about checking out nforcehq, but I'm not really
seeing anything on this site. I still have no ACPI!!!! Please help!!!

Chris Beatie wrote:
> I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest
> BIOS and I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is
> there any ACPI mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new
> of a board is only APM capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or
> have any ideas?

Check Device Manager -> Computer.

Should be "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

Changing it requires some kind of repair install I believe, if you check the
nForceHQ Asus threads regarding the A7N8X you should find plenty of people
complaining about ACPI and describing how to turn it on/off with Windows XP.

Ben

> I haven't seen anything related to ACPI in the BIOS on this system.
> Something was mentioned about checking out nforcehq, but I'm not really
> seeing anything on this site. I still have no ACPI!!!! Please help!!!
>
> "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS
and
> >I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
> >mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
APM
> >capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?

Chris, I have an a7n8x-e deluxe at home and will check the BIOS
settings and report back. I also have two a7n8x 2.0 deluxe's which I
know have this option - maybe the -e variant doesn't - I'll let you know
later.
HTH
--
Rob

"Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
>I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
>mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only APM
>capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>Chris

When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is
available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is
ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time
short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation.
To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been
installed is pretty close to zilch.

Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP,
the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6.
Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that
supports ACPI. The choices will be:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <<<<<<<<<<

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power
Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use.

Nickeldome

There is an option in this board's BIOS

ACPI suspend to RAM
that is Disabled by default.

If it is Enabled, disable it before you reinstall
Windows. The computer may run after a system repair,
but I have not tried it.

"Nickeldome" <test@test.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:
42099ab5$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS and
>>I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
>>mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
>>APM
>>capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Chris
>>

> When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is
> available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
> Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is
> ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
> unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
> initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time
> short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation.
> To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
> The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been
> installed is pretty close to zilch.
>
> Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP,
> the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
> press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6.
> Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
> Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that
> supports ACPI. The choices will be:
>
> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
>
> ACPI Uniprocessor PC
>
> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <<<<<<<<<<
>
> Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
>
> MPS Uniprocessor PC
>
> MPS Multiprocessor PC
>
> Standard PC
>
> Standard PC with C-Step i486
>
> Other
>
> In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power
> Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use.
>
> Nickeldome

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Dano

Why would you want to Disable ACPI Suspend to RAM?

"FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> There is an option in this board's BIOS
>
> ACPI suspend to RAM
> that is Disabled by default.
>
> If it is Enabled, disable it before you reinstall
> Windows. The computer may run after a system repair,
> but I have not tried it.
>

> "Nickeldome" <test@test.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 42099ab5$1_1@127.0.0.1...
>> "Chris Beatie" <beatiechris@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>I have the aformentioned mainboard with XPSP2. I have the latest BIOS
>>>and
>>>I've noticed that I don't have a stand-by option nor is there any ACPI
>>>mention in the devman. I highly doubt that this new of a board is only
>>>APM
>>>capable. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Chris
>>>

>> When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is
>> available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
>> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
>> Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is
>> ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
>> unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
>> initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time
>> short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation.
>> To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
>> The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been
>> installed is pretty close to zilch.
>>
>> Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP,
>> the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
>> press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press
>> F6.
>> Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
>> Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that
>> supports ACPI. The choices will be:
>>
>> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
>>
>> ACPI Uniprocessor PC
>>
>> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <<<<<<<<<<
>>
>> Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
>>
>> MPS Uniprocessor PC
>>
>> MPS Multiprocessor PC
>>
>> Standard PC
>>
>> Standard PC with C-Step i486
>>
>> Other
>>
>> In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power
>> Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use.
>>
>> Nickeldome

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

Because, apparently, one has to choose between Suspend to RAM
and Suspend to Disk.

bkBOd.27$VI1.30232@twister.southeast.rr.com...