How do they get these screen shots?

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

I think because they program the game they program in a second person with
no rectiles and no limits to where he can an cant go. Or they could just
sick some of their graphic editors and completely remove the Hud and the
rectiles. Don't quote me on this, I just read somewhere that was how they
might do it.

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo/page.aspx?section=Guides&subsection=WalkthroughMain&page=1