Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I needed to replace my mainboard (CPU fan circuit is
failing). Now, with the new mainboard Windows starts to
load, then reboots. Safemode does not work. I put the
same hard drive back into the old mainboard and it boots
fine. The new mainboard boots with a Windows 2000 drive,
so the mainboard seems fine - but does not boot with my
XP drive. Any thoughts?

Dan;
You need to perform a Repair Installation to properly detect the new
hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I needed to replace my mainboard (CPU fan circuit is
> failing). Now, with the new mainboard Windows starts to
> load, then reboots. Safemode does not work. I put the
> same hard drive back into the old mainboard and it boots
> fine. The new mainboard boots with a Windows 2000 drive,
> so the mainboard seems fine - but does not boot with my
> XP drive. Any thoughts?

You will have to do a clean "install" and start from
scratch. Loose all setings etc.

This has nothing to do with "ms anti-piracy"
This would happen if anti piracy features did not exist.
It has to do with hardware detection.

You did not need to perform a Clean Installation.
All that was needed was a Repair Installation as stated in my last
post.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"barefoot" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:aab601c4796b$740e43d0> >I had the same problem. This is part of
ms anti-piracy.
> You will have to do a clean "install" and start from
> scratch. Loose all setings etc.

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
_before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I needed to replace my mainboard (CPU fan circuit is
> failing). Now, with the new mainboard Windows starts to
> load, then reboots. Safemode does not work. I put the
> same hard drive back into the old mainboard and it boots
> fine. The new mainboard boots with a Windows 2000 drive,
> so the mainboard seems fine - but does not boot with my
> XP drive. Any thoughts?

Greetings --

Nonsense. This has absolutely nothing to do with any anti-piracy
measures, and everything to do with pulling the hardware rug out from
under the OS. And all that's required is a repair installation.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm