EddieC

Windows XP only shows the hard drive as 2gb for a 13gb
drive. The bios shows 13 gb, can I get windows to
recognise 13gb or will I have to reformat?
Thanks

Right click on My Computer, click Manage, then click on Disk Management.
What does it say in there?

----
Nathan McNulty

EddieC wrote:
> Windows XP only shows the hard drive as 2gb for a 13gb
> drive. The bios shows 13 gb, can I get windows to
> recognise 13gb or will I have to reformat?
> Thanks

Properties for volume = 13029mb (is this what you asked?)

Sorry got you now, 10.76gb is unallocated, does this mean
I need to reformat?

norm

Delete the small partition and then create one the size of the whole disk,
format and assign a drive letter.

"EddieC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP only shows the hard drive as 2gb for a 13gb
> drive. The bios shows 13 gb, can I get windows to
> recognise 13gb or will I have to reformat?
> Thanks

I don't think he can do that since he has Windows on the small
partition. You have 2 choices here. First, you can make a new
partition (which will show up as a second hard drive in My Computer) and
that will allow you to use the rest of your hard drive space. I would
recommend this over the second option as you keep all your data and
don't have to work as hard. To do this, you just right click on that
unallocated space and create a partition with it using the max space
available. It should get a drive letter (probably either D or E)
assigned to it, or you can do this manually by right clicking on it and
changing the drive letter.

Your second option is going to be to boot off your Windows XP CD, delete
the partition, create a new partition using the full disk space, then
format it (NTFS is highly recommended), then install Windows XP. Be
sure to back up all of your data before using this method as ALL of your
data WILL be ERASED.

----
Nathan McNulty

Norm wrote:
> Delete the small partition and then create one the size of the whole disk,
> format and assign a drive letter.
>
> "EddieC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Windows XP only shows the hard drive as 2gb for a 13gb
>>drive. The bios shows 13 gb, can I get windows to
>>recognise 13gb or will I have to reformat?
>>Thanks

norm

Foolish me, I was thinking it was his 2nd disk and not the boot disk.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> I don't think he can do that since he has Windows on the small
> partition. You have 2 choices here. First, you can make a new
> partition (which will show up as a second hard drive in My Computer) and
> that will allow you to use the rest of your hard drive space. I would
> recommend this over the second option as you keep all your data and
> don't have to work as hard. To do this, you just right click on that
> unallocated space and create a partition with it using the max space
> available. It should get a drive letter (probably either D or E)
> assigned to it, or you can do this manually by right clicking on it and
> changing the drive letter.
>
> Your second option is going to be to boot off your Windows XP CD, delete
> the partition, create a new partition using the full disk space, then
> format it (NTFS is highly recommended), then install Windows XP. Be
> sure to back up all of your data before using this method as ALL of your
> data WILL be ERASED.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Norm wrote:
> > Delete the small partition and then create one the size of the whole
disk,
> > format and assign a drive letter.
> >
> > "EddieC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Windows XP only shows the hard drive as 2gb for a 13gb
> >>drive. The bios shows 13 gb, can I get windows to
> >>recognise 13gb or will I have to reformat?
> >>Thanks

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 03:36:25 -0700,

>Sorry got you now, 10.76gb is unallocated, does this mean
>I need to reformat?

Use Partition Magic...or a program like it...to increase the size of
that partition to its full capacity.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?