Motorola v600 or Sony Ericsson T637?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm finalizing my decision between these two phones. Anybody
care to help me break the tie?

What's got me torn:

v600
----
- Flip Phone
- Built-in Speakerphone
- Larger display

T637
----
- Free (and better) PC synch software
- IR port
- Voice commands
- Easier software interface?

Thanks, Daniel

| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

"Daniel Barton" <danielmbarton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I'm finalizing my decision between these two phones. Anybody
| care to help me break the tie?
|
| What's got me torn:
|
| v600
| ----
| - Flip Phone
| - Built-in Speakerphone
| - Larger display
|
| T637
| ----
| - Free (and better) PC synch software
| - IR port
| - Voice commands
| - Easier software interface?

I would think the decision would boil down to form factor mainly. Do you
prefer flip or candy bar? I personally prefer the T637 for the menu setup,
Bluetooth interface it uses, and it's size. But of course that is just my
two cents. I don't "wear" my phone, I keep it in my pocket, so the candy bar
style is much more comfortable (unnoticeable) than the v600 is. The v600 is
quite bulky when slid into your pocket. Something else you may want to
consider is your personal need for quad band. Will you be traveling over
seas? Also do you have a use for the infrared? Both are nice phones.

Jason Cothran wrote:

> I would think the decision would boil down to form factor mainly. Do you
> prefer flip or candy bar? I personally prefer the T637 for the menu setup,
> Bluetooth interface it uses, and it's size. But of course that is just my
> two cents. I don't "wear" my phone, I keep it in my pocket, so the candy bar
> style is much more comfortable (unnoticeable) than the v600 is. The v600 is
> quite bulky when slid into your pocket. Something else you may want to
> consider is your personal need for quad band. Will you be traveling over
> seas? Also do you have a use for the infrared? Both are nice phones.

All good points

- with the T637 I'd likely put it in my pocket. Has anybody seen
a decent belt clip for it though?

- I don't travel overseas very much, so I don't care about using
the phone internationally.

- I will use the infrared to synch with Outlook on my PC at work
since it doesn't have infrared.

Thank! Daniel

| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

The t637 does not have infrared (although the phone menu has it as an
option, there is no IR port on the phone)

It does have bluetooth which works marvelously on the mac (don't know about
a PC)

On 6/29/04 10:07 AM, in article 40E17782.280D8303@yahoo.com, "Daniel Barton"

"Chris Tonjes" <chris1200@comcast.net> wrote in message
| The t637 does not have infrared (although the phone menu has it as an
| option, there is no IR port on the phone)

Umm I beg to differ. It is oon the top of the phone.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:16:59 GMT, Daniel Barton
<danielmbarton@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm finalizing my decision between these two phones <V600 and T637>

I have both and if I had to keep only one, the t637 would win out. It
is MUCH more user-friendly than the v600 and is slimmer, lighter in
weight and the battery lasts longer. The camera (if you care to use
it) is better on the t637. The v600 IS heavy and bulky. RF
capabilities are equal.

As far as I can tell the v600 is better in only two areas: it has a
standard headset jack (a big plus), and it's a better experience for
the person you're calling because the microphone is superior at muting
background noise. SE has improved in this area with the t637 (over the
t616, for example) but still has a ways to go.

And the t637 does in fact have both bluetooth and IR. Though not quad
band, it is nonetheless triple band and works quite well in many areas
of the world.

Thanks to everyone who replied. My wife and I both purchased
the Sony Ericsson T637 from Amazon.com. I spent a lot of time
trying out the T637 in the Cingular store and for the most
part liked it much more than the Motorola.

Regards, Daniel

| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

On 7/1/04 8:06 AM, in article A%SEc.13$WV.0@bignews5.bellsouth.net, "Jason
Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote:

> "Chris Tonjes" <chris1200@comcast.net> wrote in message
> | The t637 does not have infrared (although the phone menu has it as an
> | option, there is no IR port on the phone)
> |

> Umm I beg to differ. It is oon the top of the phone.

I'm looking at my t616 and my t637. The t616 has an ir port on the top
left, the t637 has a plastic piece where this is. Where do you think the
IR port is?

| On 7/1/04 8:06 AM, in article A%SEc.13$WV.0@bignews5.bellsouth.net, "Jason
| Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote:
|

| > "Chris Tonjes" <chris1200@comcast.net> wrote in message
| > | The t637 does not have infrared (although the phone menu has it as an
| > | option, there is no IR port on the phone)
| > |

| > Umm I beg to differ. It is oon the top of the phone.
| >

| I'm looking at my t616 and my t637. The t616 has an ir port on the top
| left, the t637 has a plastic piece where this is. Where do you think the
| IR port is?

The IR port is in pretty much the identical spot as on the T616. On the top
middle next to the power button.

Chris Tonjes wrote:

> On 7/1/04 8:06 AM, in article A%SEc.13$WV.0@bignews5.bellsouth.net, "Jason
> Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote:

>>"Chris Tonjes" <chris1200@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>| The t637 does not have infrared (although the phone menu has it as an
>>| option, there is no IR port on the phone)
>>
>>Umm I beg to differ. It is oon the top of the phone.
>
> I'm looking at my t616 and my t637. The t616 has an ir port on the top
> left, the t637 has a plastic piece where this is. Where do you think the
> IR port is?

On page 8 of the manual (PDF version) it shows the IR Port on top of
the phone. You do have a manual don't you?

--
BrZ

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 00:30:50 -0400, Chris Tonjes
<chris1200@comcast.net> wrote:
>I'm looking at my t616 and my t637. The t616 has an ir port on the top
>left, the t637 has a plastic piece where this is. Where do you think the
>IR port is?

Uh, that's it. Just used it five minutes ago.

eddie

I realize this is an old thread, and you've probably already found all of
this out by now, but I've also recently purchased the T637 and have some
useful info for you:

1. The SE leather case is very nice. I got ours (my wife and I also got one
T637 each from Amazon) from www.yourwirelesssource.com for 14.45 each. They
sit horizontally on your belt and I find it very comfortable to leave on
even when sitting down.

2. Here's a few links I found VERY helpful in the first couple weeks
learning abotu the phone:

float's Mobil Ganet - VERY cool open-source software for managing the phone
through Bluetooth - http://fma.sourceforge.net/index2.htm

Howard Forums for T6xx phones:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=50
Mobile 9 Forums for T6xx phones:
http://www.mobile9.com/invboard/index.php?showforum=15
Complete Bluetooth Guide -

Hope that helps!

eddie

> Thanks to everyone who replied. My wife and I both purchased
> the Sony Ericsson T637 from Amazon.com. I spent a lot of time
> trying out the T637 in the Cingular store and for the most
> part liked it much more than the Motorola.
>
> Regards, Daniel

> | danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

Hey,

I have the t637 and love it. found a nice, I'm not sure how to put
it, a side belt clip. It's leather and snaps onto a belt with two
buttons. the phone fits inside the pouch and is well protected. you
can still plug in and ear piece with the opening provided, (but I'd
opt for the bluetooth ear piece cause it works great). It's made by
"Incase" or at least that is the label on it. I'll try and attatch
some pictures as well. I found it in a cingular store.

Mike

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:07:54 GMT, Daniel Barton

In <b68vg09rk24sjm8jbj1to75ok70mhao63d@4ax.com> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:40:06
GMT, coffeeshared@hotmail.com wrote:

>I have the t637 and love it. found a nice, I'm not sure how to put
>it, a side belt clip. It's leather and snaps onto a belt with two
>buttons. the phone fits inside the pouch and is well protected. you
>can still plug in and ear piece with the opening provided, (but I'd
>opt for the bluetooth ear piece cause it works great). It's made by
>"Incase" or at least that is the label on it. I'll try and attatch
>some pictures as well. I found it in a cingular store.

Binaries (e.g., pictures) should NEVER be posted to discussion newsgroups;
most discussion newsgroups do not permit binary posts. Post binaries to a
*binaries* newsgroup only (or on a website or FTP server), with a notice in
relevant discussion newsgroup(s).

Sorry about that. Kinda thought that after I posted. Thanks for the
info