External Parallel Port CD drive

HELP !!!

I have a PC with a removable HDD and no other drive bay. I
have previously used an external parallel port CD ROM
drive running under windows 98 but having upgraded to XP I
cannot get Windows to recognise the thing. I have tried
installing various ASPI drivers and still get no joy. The
drive itself is fine as when removed from the caddy and
hooked up directly to the IDE channel its fine (thats how
I installed Win XP)

I can't leave the PC with the CD hanging out the side
though.

Any help is most appreciated

Paul
1 answer Last reply
More about external parallel port drive

    Parallel port external cases are tricky. You must install the drivers
    for this as it is not plug and play like USB is. I would highly
    recommend just buying a nice USB 2.0 external case, but if you really
    want to get this one working, you are going to need to find the proper
    drivers. Try contacting the maker of the external enclosure ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Paul B wrote:
    > HELP !!!
    >
    > I have a PC with a removable HDD and no other drive bay. I
    > have previously used an external parallel port CD ROM
    > drive running under windows 98 but having upgraded to XP I
    > cannot get Windows to recognise the thing. I have tried
    > installing various ASPI drivers and still get no joy. The
    > drive itself is fine as when removed from the caddy and
    > hooked up directly to the IDE channel its fine (thats how
    > I installed Win XP)
    >
    > I can't leave the PC with the CD hanging out the side
    > though.
    >
    > Any help is most appreciated
    >
    > Paul

Parallel Port Windows XP