A8N-SLI Deluxe Post Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 8, 2005 1:07:02 AM

I was having issue with "System failed memory test" errors with 2 brands of
Corsair memory ( CMX512-3200XPLT, CMX512-3200C2PRO ). So, I reset the CMOS
and now the system powers up with no vocal error messages, but there is no
output to the monitor...the screen is just blank. I have yet to have any
output to the monitor. Here are the specs:

Case: Antec P160
Power Supply: Antec True550 ( using a 20 -> 24 pin connector )
Mobo: Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm
CPU Fan: Zalman CPS7000B
Memory: Corsair 2x 3200 CMX512-3200XPLT; 2x Corsair CMX512-3200C2PRO
Hard drives: 2x Western Digital WD740 Raptor
DVD-R: Samsung 16x dual layer
Grafx Card: Leadtek PX6800 GT TDH

Does anyone know if the rear sound connections can be used for headphones?
I have been using an input the front of the case connected to the AC97 pins,
but I fear that something got screwed up with those as I no longer hear post
messages even when I take out all of the memory.

The manual enumerates the post messages and one of them is "No IDE hard disk
detected." I am using 2 serial ata drives and no IDE drive...that's not a
problem and wouldn't prevent posting would it?

I know the monitor is working ( using it now ). I have reversed the SLI
card on the board for single card use ( although the manual says it comes
default that way ). I'm sure everything is connected correctly ( except for
the power and hard drive led's as the case has a 2 pin connector for each ).

I'm at a total loss at this point. I would love recommendations from anyone
at where to go at this point.

Thanks,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 12:03:37 PM

"PJ" <pjwal@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> I was having issue with "System failed memory test" errors with 2 brands
of
> Corsair memory ( CMX512-3200XPLT, CMX512-3200C2PRO ). So, I reset the
CMOS
> and now the system powers up with no vocal error messages, but there is no
> output to the monitor...the screen is just blank. I have yet to have any
> output to the monitor. Here are the specs:
>
> Case: Antec P160
> Power Supply: Antec True550 ( using a 20 -> 24 pin connector )
> Mobo: Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe
> CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm
> CPU Fan: Zalman CPS7000B
> Memory: Corsair 2x 3200 CMX512-3200XPLT; 2x Corsair CMX512-3200C2PRO
> Hard drives: 2x Western Digital WD740 Raptor
> DVD-R: Samsung 16x dual layer
> Grafx Card: Leadtek PX6800 GT TDH
>
> Does anyone know if the rear sound connections can be used for headphones?
> I have been using an input the front of the case connected to the AC97
pins,
> but I fear that something got screwed up with those as I no longer hear
post
> messages even when I take out all of the memory.
>
> The manual enumerates the post messages and one of them is "No IDE hard
disk
> detected." I am using 2 serial ata drives and no IDE drive...that's not a
> problem and wouldn't prevent posting would it?
>
> I know the monitor is working ( using it now ). I have reversed the SLI
> card on the board for single card use ( although the manual says it comes
> default that way ). I'm sure everything is connected correctly ( except
for
> the power and hard drive led's as the case has a 2 pin connector for
each ).

> I'm at a total loss at this point. I would love recommendations from
anyone
> at where to go at this point.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Try connecting a power connector to the ez_plug socket on the motherboard
next to the first PCI-E socket
February 8, 2005 12:03:38 PM

> Try connecting a power connector to the ez_plug socket on the motherboard
> next to the first PCI-E socket

I had it plugged in to start and took it out in case that was the issue w/
only 1 card. Good "outside of the box" thinking though.

If the mobo is not speaking out post issues ( w/ all memory and vid card
out ) , I can't imagine that it is anything else but the mobo at this point.
I do remember smelling a "slight" spark halfway through the evening (
although using a grounding wristband working on a glass table on a lanolium
floor ). Any ideas and help is appreciated though!

Thx!
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 3:50:20 PM

> > Try connecting a power connector to the ez_plug socket on the
motherboard
> > next to the first PCI-E socket
>
> I had it plugged in to start and took it out in case that was the issue w/
> only 1 card. Good "outside of the box" thinking though.
>
> If the mobo is not speaking out post issues ( w/ all memory and vid card
> out ) , I can't imagine that it is anything else but the mobo at this
point.
> I do remember smelling a "slight" spark halfway through the evening (
> although using a grounding wristband working on a glass table on a
lanolium
> floor ). Any ideas and help is appreciated though!
>
> Thx!

Oh... I believe if you could smell it then it will have suffered damage, no
matter how small the spark may have seemed.

At this stage, you need to remove anything non-essential from the machine,
just leaving proc, vid card and RAM on the mobo. Also check that you have
not got a permanent short across the reset pins (front [panel connector),
and also make sure that your power on off switching is correct (also front
panel connector).

Good luck,

Jon
February 8, 2005 5:30:26 PM

In article <sJudnSAJ_K0DFZXfRVn-3w@speakeasy.net>, "PJ"
<pjwal@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> > Try connecting a power connector to the ez_plug socket on the motherboard
> > next to the first PCI-E socket
>
> I had it plugged in to start and took it out in case that was the issue w/
> only 1 card. Good "outside of the box" thinking though.
>
> If the mobo is not speaking out post issues ( w/ all memory and vid card
> out ) , I can't imagine that it is anything else but the mobo at this point.
> I do remember smelling a "slight" spark halfway through the evening (
> although using a grounding wristband working on a glass table on a lanolium
> floor ). Any ideas and help is appreciated though!
>
> Thx!

The nice thing about the "vocal post", is that it works with no
components installed on the motherboard. You can test just the
motherboard and the power supply connected together, and you should
get some response, even if the vocal post tells you that no
CPU is installed.

Things to remember (already mentioned by others):

1) Never add or remove components while the green LED is lit on
the motherboard. The green LED tells you +5VSB is operating,
and that power is used when the computer is in standby. Various
sockets on the motherboard are powered by the +5VSB, and if you
install components into a "hot" socket, they can be damaged. The
best policy, is to unplug the computer, before adding RAM or
a CPU or a PCI or AGP card - when unplugged, there is no
uncertainty about +5VSB.
2) If a motherboard has auxiliary power connectors, then connect
them. The 2x2 ATX 12V connector provides power for the processor,
and without it the board cannot post. The EZPlug provides extra
power for SLI configurations - installing it won't hurt anything.
3) The motherboard will operate without anything connected to
the PANEL header. You don't need to have any switches connected
or LEDs connected. Disconnecting the switches, will prevent a
"stuck switch" from affecting your board. To start the board,
you can touch a screwdriver tip to the two pins used for the
Power switch, and a momentary contact should be enough to get
the motherboard to start. Remember to drain static charge
from the screwdriver tip, before touching it to the two power
switch pins on the PANEL header.
4) If you removed the CMOS battery, make sure you put it back the
right way. Same goes for the CMOS jumper plug. As in (1) above,
the reason for unplugging the computer while clearing the CMOS,
is because +5VSB powers the CMOS circuit, and the +5VSB can
damage the ORing diode in the CMOS power circuit, if you
clear the CMOS while the green LED on the motherboard is lit.
(Not all CMOS circuits are wired the same way, and unplugging
is a conservative practice, intended to prevent damage in the
case of badly designed CMOS circuits.)

With the vocal post on the board, you can set the motherboard and
power supply up outside the computer case. (This is referred to
as the "cardboard test", for the piece of cardboard you place
underneath the motherboard as insulation.) You can add components
one at a time, and listen to the vocal post message change after
a new component is added. For example, after adding the CPU, you
should no longer get a message about no CPU being inserted, but
instead receive a message that no RAM is present. If the RAM is
added next, the vocal post should complain about no video card.
Follow this sequence, and observe where the vocal responses no
longer make sense (i.e. the vocal post is indicating that what
you just installed, is not working, indicating that could be
the defective device). As mentioned above, power down and unplug
between trials. You'll soon get an idea as to whether something
has been damaged in your trials up to this point. If you are
still within the return period with your retailer, you should be
able to return any defective item you find.

For vocal post, you should use the lime colored lineout
connector on the back of the computer. I'm told that will
work even if the jumpers are removed from the FPAUDIO
header. The vocal post is supposed to be connected via
a capacitor, directly to the lineout connector on the
rear of the computer.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 10:25:51 PM

PJ wrote:
> I was having issue with "System failed memory test" errors with 2 brands of
> Corsair memory ( CMX512-3200XPLT, CMX512-3200C2PRO ). So, I reset the CMOS
> and now the system powers up with no vocal error messages, but there is no
> output to the monitor...the screen is just blank. I have yet to have any
> output to the monitor.

The board needs to have the extra 4 pin 12V line next to the CPU
connected, without that it won't boot. I also suppose you put the cmos
jumper back in the right position and replaced the battery - you did
remove the battery before clearing the cmos, right?

Supposing all that is in order, I can tell you the board works fine with
just two SATA drives and no IDE. What happens if you put a bootable CD
in the dvd drive? Can you tell if it's booting up, looking at the
activity light? You may want to get the HD light to work as well, to see
if there is activity. (remember to press space during boot, as when
booting from the dvd drive, the bios will ask you to press space for
booting from a cd).

Oh, and did you clear the cmos again, just to make sure, reseat the vid
card, memory and stuff, and check _all_ the cables?
February 9, 2005 2:44:25 PM

> The board needs to have the extra 4 pin 12V line next to the CPU
> connected, without that it won't boot. I also suppose you put the cmos
> jumper back in the right position and replaced the battery - you did
> remove the battery before clearing the cmos, right?
>
> Supposing all that is in order, I can tell you the board works fine with
> just two SATA drives and no IDE. What happens if you put a bootable CD
> in the dvd drive? Can you tell if it's booting up, looking at the
> activity light? You may want to get the HD light to work as well, to see
> if there is activity. (remember to press space during boot, as when
> booting from the dvd drive, the bios will ask you to press space for
> booting from a cd).
>
> Oh, and did you clear the cmos again, just to make sure, reseat the vid
> card, memory and stuff, and check _all_ the cables?

The board is getting power....all the fans ( board, case, cpu, vid card )
fire up and the green light is on both the board and the vid card. I can
hear the dvd-r spin briefly as well, but get no feedback from the hard
drives.
February 9, 2005 3:48:12 PM

Excellent response. Thank you very much. I've only put together a computer
a couple of times, but now and forever I will take a much more methodical
approach.

I have to admit that initially I did not clear the CMOS correctly as I did
not take the battery out. Would the act of powering the board w/ the jumper
set to reset damage the board?

Alos, can a USB keyboard/mouse be used?

> [...]
> added next, the vocal post should complain about no video card.
> Follow this sequence, and observe where the vocal responses no
> longer make sense (i.e. the vocal post is indicating that what
> you just installed, is not working, indicating that could be
> the defective device). As mentioned above, power down and unplug
> between trials. You'll soon get an idea as to whether something
> has been damaged in your trials up to this point. If you are
> still within the return period with your retailer, you should be
> able to return any defective item you find.
>
> For vocal post, you should use the lime colored lineout
> connector on the back of the computer. I'm told that will
> work even if the jumpers are removed from the FPAUDIO
> header. The vocal post is supposed to be connected via
> a capacitor, directly to the lineout connector on the

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2005 2:27:01 AM

PJ wrote:
> Excellent response. Thank you very much. I've only put together a computer
> a couple of times, but now and forever I will take a much more methodical
> approach.
>
> I have to admit that initially I did not clear the CMOS correctly as I did
> not take the battery out. Would the act of powering the board w/ the jumper
> set to reset damage the board?

I don't think the board would like you to clear the CMOS with the
battery still in it, and keeping the jumper in the clearing position
will not help - the battery will most certainly be drained. I don't
think the board will like it, but if it will cause damage, I cannot say.
You may try popping in a new battery.

> Alos, can a USB keyboard/mouse be used?

Not a problem, but that one has been answered.
!