2 OS on same hard drive

I bought Norton Partition Magic so I could put WIN98 and WINXP on the
same drive. My problem is that : I installed WIN98 first with no
problem but I cannot figure out how to install WINXP so that I can
duel boot. Any help would be appreciated
Bob
24 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    It can be done. That's exactly the way I have my PC set up.

    Boot Win98 and install PartitionMagic (in the Win98 partition). Create the
    PartitionMagic floppies when prompted (invaluable).

    Boot the PC up using the PartitionMagic Floppy. Resize the Win98 partition
    to make room for the WinXP partition. Now create the WinXP partition (make
    it a Primary NTFS partition). Hide the Win98 partition. Set the WinXP
    partition as active.

    Now install WinXP by booting from the WinXP CD and select the WinXP
    partition when prompted (let XP reformat it to NTFS even if you already
    formatted using partition magic earlier).

    Once you get WinXP fully loaded, boot using the PM floppy and hide WinXP and
    set Win98 active. Reboot the PC into Win98 and install BootMagic into Win98
    partition. Now run Bootmagic and create the boot menu.

    As someone else said, it can be useful to created an extended FAT32
    partition at the end of the drive to place shared data into. Win98 needs
    extra software to see NTFS partitions.

    "joh1955" <joh1955@bbtel-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I bought Norton Partition Magic so I could put WIN98 and WINXP on the
    > same drive. My problem is that : I installed WIN98 first with no
    > problem but I cannot figure out how to install WINXP so that I can
    > duel boot. Any help would be appreciated
    > Bob

    Just install XP into the second partition. XP install will see Win98 in the
    first and automatically create a dual boot config with a boot.ini and ntldr
    etc. in your C: drive while correctly placing all else in the XP nominated
    partition. Just don't try to put XP in the same partition as Win98, it will
    not work...

    The above sequence (Win9x first then XP) is the correct sequence.
    In this situation you may wish to consider where shared DATA (not software,
    don't share software) is placed and use a FAT32 partition just for that. I
    always use NTFS for XP...

    - Tim

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:34:24 +1300, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >The above sequence (Win9x first then XP) is the correct sequence.

    Yes and no. The OP should use BootMagic that comes with PM to select
    which OS to boot.
    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Dr Teeth <no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:34:24 +1300, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The above sequence (Win9x first then XP) is the correct sequence.
    >
    >Yes and no. The OP should use BootMagic that comes with PM to select
    >which OS to boot.
    >--
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Guy

    You don't need BootMagic or any other bootmanager to run win98 and XP.
    In your boot.ini there will be a reference to 2 bootsectors. One Xp and the
    other
    'old windows' you can edit the names if you like. Just install as in the above
    sequence (Win9x first then XP) and make sure your C: is Fat32.

    Nickeldome

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:19:50 +1000, "John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Boot the PC up using the PartitionMagic Floppy.

    This isn't necessary. When changing the size of a partition in which
    PM is installed, it will reboot the OS and make the changes. I have
    four OSs installed here ATM, sometimes five, and have never used a
    floppy.
    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    In article <_FsOd.130002$dP1.464860@newsc.telia.net>, th
    <someguy@somewhere.se> writes
    >Mercury wrote:
    >> You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    >> partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.
    >>
    >Really good point there!
    >If your Win98 is just recently installed and the HD only contains one
    >partition the simplest thing is to use old FDISK to repartition the disk
    >and reinstall Win98.

    Well worth downloading Win ME FDisk.exe from Microsoft.
    See MS KB article 263044 - "Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard
    Disks Larger than 64 GB".
    (open archive, rename fdisk.98s to fdisk.exe, copy to where needed)
    >With FDISK you only need to create one partition
    >and leave the rest of the HD unpartitioned. When in the WinXP
    >installation you can create new partitions and format them as you want.
    >I recommend to use NTFS with WinXP even if that means that you cannot
    >read the NTFS partition when running Win98 (or is there some program
    >that allows reading an NTFS partition from Win98?)

    Yes there is, read-only, free, from www.sysinternals.com :
    "NTFS for Windows 98 is a NTFS file system driver for Windows 95 and
    Windows 98. Once installed, any NTFS drives present on your system will
    be fully accessible as native Windows 98 volumes. This version provides
    read-only capabilities."
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml
    --
    Roger Hunt

    On 8 Feb 2005 22:41:38 -0600, Nickeldome <test@test.uk> wrote:

    >You don't need BootMagic or any other bootmanager to run win98 and XP.

    I know, but with BootManager I don't have to worry about the order I
    install my OSs at all.
    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Dr Teeth <no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote:
    >On 8 Feb 2005 22:41:38 -0600, Nickeldome <test@test.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>You don't need BootMagic or any other bootmanager to run win98 and XP.
    >
    >I know, but with BootManager I don't have to worry about the order I
    >install my OSs at all.
    >--
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Guy

    Agreed, if the situation won't let you install in the necessary order.
    I like System Commander alot more than BootMagic, because it
    handles things more intelligent.

    Nickeldome

    You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.

    Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time to
    discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    solid.

    I recommend deinstalling PM immediately you are finished with it - every
    time - until this POS has some serious bugs fixed.

    If you buy PM you do not get support - unless you pay for it and pay for the
    still buggy updates.

    Mercury wrote:
    > You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    > partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.

    Really good point there!
    If your Win98 is just recently installed and the HD only contains one
    partition the simplest thing is to use old FDISK to repartition the disk
    and reinstall Win98. With FDISK you only need to create one partition

    Mercury wrote:
    > You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    > partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.
    >
    > Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    > driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time to
    > discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    > solid.
    >
    > I recommend deinstalling PM immediately you are finished with it - every
    > time - until this POS has some serious bugs fixed.

    Why *install* PM in the first place? Even if you do want to use PM to
    repartition, resize, clone, convert etc there's no need to install it to
    Windows.

    Just make the PM dos boot floppy (or make a dos boot cd), boot from that
    and you have access to all its capabilities. The only thing installing
    it to Windows does is to give you a dumbed-down interface to set up any
    changes you want. It then reboots into dos mode to do the actual changes
    anyway. So why bother and take this risk of upsetting windows - as you
    found?

    I have used Pm 4 thru' 8 and never installed any version.

    I do agree with you though that the only reason PM (or similar) might be
    needed in this case is if it's necessary to re-size the existing Win98
    partition to create room for XP. (It might, theoretically, be possible
    to install XP in the same partition but I wouldn't want to risk it).

    Once the free space is made available the rest of the install is a no
    brainer and XP will set up the boot manager. Notwithstanding this, many
    people elect to use a third part boot manager (such as Boot Magic)
    anyway since it lets you fully isolate (hide) the two operating system
    partitions from each other (which the XP boot manager won't).

    Incidentally, BootitNG (Bing) has a better reputation than PM with many
    people for both partition management and boot management.

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:04:52 +1300, "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote:

    >Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    >driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time to
    >discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    >solid.

    All's rock solidly stable here.
    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    >Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    >driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time to
    >discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    >solid.

    I was just curious what problems did you have with your DVD/CD writer
    after installing PM and how did you find out it was PM? I'm assuming
    you're referring to version 8? I wasn't aware that PM loads any apps
    at startup during normal operation under Windows. Please let us know.

    On XP SP2.
    PM installed a Gear ASPI driver - forget the exact name. This is I believe a
    layered device driver that presents a SCSI (ASPI) interface to IDE devices
    at the device level.

    With a prior version of Gear installed I found I had a bogus SCSI controller
    and CD / DVD devices. IE with the Gear driver it was trying to hide the
    original drives and remapping to a new letter. In My Computer I had devices
    with conflicting details. The DVD and CD-RW would not work. PM was not the
    product that installed this on that occasion. Summary: I new to look for
    GEAR.

    I struck a similar set of issues with PM - DVD writing would fail, system
    would lock up after a CD had been inserted twice, CD / DVD access was
    intermittent. After a chat with the Tech that supplied the DVD, I
    deinstalled progressively all s/w related to DVD. After all was removed
    there was still a hidden device (Gear ASPI or something like that - my
    initial reaction was it was a remnant, but the driver was still present)
    under Services in the registry and the device indicated it was in the 'list'
    of drivers. It was by accident (deinstall all apps recently installed) that
    I found it was PM.

    I don't know why they have to do this... It is no biggy to create a DOS
    device that is a synonym for a HDD that covers all cylinders of the disc so
    that the disc can be read at the sector level. It is also no biggy to do it
    under Windows. VSS does something like this.

    I could be wrong on this, but I was quite careful and persistent in getting
    rid of software and checking each step - I had already tried new cables,
    different IDE connectors, and another computer to prove the DVD drive was
    going 100%.

    - Tim

    <none@nowhere.123> wrote in message

    >>Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    >>driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time to
    >>discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    >>solid.
    >
    > I was just curious what problems did you have with your DVD/CD writer
    > after installing PM and how did you find out it was PM? I'm assuming
    > you're referring to version 8? I wasn't aware that PM loads any apps
    > at startup during normal operation under Windows. Please let us know.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Because the DOS interface is from the ARK! It is attrocious. You can do most
    things from in windows. Why should I have to know about disc type numbers?
    Start and end cylinders? Thats just lazy for them - its only a few lines of
    code to make a much much better UI.

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mercury wrote:
    >> You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    >> partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.
    >>
    >> Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    >> driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time
    >> to discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing
    >> XP solid.
    >>
    >> I recommend deinstalling PM immediately you are finished with it - every
    >> time - until this POS has some serious bugs fixed.
    >
    > Why *install* PM in the first place? Even if you do want to use PM to
    > repartition, resize, clone, convert etc there's no need to install it to
    > Windows.
    >
    > Just make the PM dos boot floppy (or make a dos boot cd), boot from that
    > and you have access to all its capabilities. The only thing installing it
    > to Windows does is to give you a dumbed-down interface to set up any
    > changes you want. It then reboots into dos mode to do the actual changes
    > anyway. So why bother and take this risk of upsetting windows - as you
    > found?
    >
    > I have used Pm 4 thru' 8 and never installed any version.
    >
    > I do agree with you though that the only reason PM (or similar) might be
    > needed in this case is if it's necessary to re-size the existing Win98
    > partition to create room for XP. (It might, theoretically, be possible to
    > install XP in the same partition but I wouldn't want to risk it).
    >
    > Once the free space is made available the rest of the install is a no
    > brainer and XP will set up the boot manager. Notwithstanding this, many
    > people elect to use a third part boot manager (such as Boot Magic) anyway
    > since it lets you fully isolate (hide) the two operating system partitions
    > from each other (which the XP boot manager won't).
    >
    > Incidentally, BootitNG (Bing) has a better reputation than PM with many
    > people for both partition management and boot management.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Well, certainly, they came up with the Windows install to take care of
    people who feel the way you do and who don't mind spending the
    considerable extra time that it represents. And yes, given that they are
    supplying a windows interface, you have a right to expect it to function
    well. (Of course, in an ideal world all software would function without
    problems on every machine and every setup).

    Personally, I'll stick to the dos version. The interface is fine for me
    - it's a utility after all, not an application. I don't know what you
    mean by having to know about disk type numbers and start/end cylinders
    ..... it just ain't so. All you need to know is the same stuff that you
    need to know for the windows interface: sizes you want for new
    partitions, re-sizing etc. If you want, you can do it by sliders. It's
    very simple. (I can't believe, from what you said that you've actually
    tried it).

    I do one boot which takes maybe 5 seconds (mine's on a bootable cd)
    compared with booting to windows , setting it all up and then
    rebooting. I'm really not on a crusade here though (even though it might
    sound that way). If you are happy with the windows version (... but
    you're not) then more power to you.

    Mercury wrote:

    > Because the DOS interface is from the ARK! It is attrocious. You can do most
    > things from in windows. Why should I have to know about disc type numbers?
    > Start and end cylinders? Thats just lazy for them - its only a few lines of
    > code to make a much much better UI.
    >
    > "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>Just make the PM dos boot floppy (or make a dos boot cd), boot from that
    >>and you have access to all its capabilities. The only thing installing it
    >>to Windows does is to give you a dumbed-down interface to set up any
    >>changes you want. It then reboots into dos mode to do the actual changes
    >>anyway. So why bother and take this risk of upsetting windows - as you
    >>found?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Sounds like I may have used the wrong version....

    I'll look into what you are saying. If the DOS version has been revved up
    then I will stick with that. I must have fired up an ancient version
    somehow.

    Do you know if the DOS version is safe with RAID 1 discs?

    The only pitfall with the windows version is that it is buggy around what it
    will and won't do on system / boot partitions. It says it can, says it
    might, and leaves one in hope so that doesn't get used.

    Thanks for your comments. I'll definitely look into what you have said.

    - Tim

    > Well, certainly, they came up with the Windows install to take care of
    > people who feel the way you do and who don't mind spending the
    > considerable extra time that it represents. And yes, given that they are
    > supplying a windows interface, you have a right to expect it to function
    > well. (Of course, in an ideal world all software would function without
    > problems on every machine and every setup).
    >
    > Personally, I'll stick to the dos version. The interface is fine for me
    > - it's a utility after all, not an application. I don't know what you
    > mean by having to know about disk type numbers and start/end cylinders
    > .... it just ain't so. All you need to know is the same stuff that you
    > need to know for the windows interface: sizes you want for new
    > partitions, re-sizing etc. If you want, you can do it by sliders. It's
    > very simple. (I can't believe, from what you said that you've actually
    > tried it).
    >
    > I do one boot which takes maybe 5 seconds (mine's on a bootable cd)
    > compared with booting to windows , setting it all up and then
    > rebooting. I'm really not on a crusade here though (even though it might
    > sound that way). If you are happy with the windows version (... but
    > you're not) then more power to you.
    >

    > Mercury wrote:
    >
    >> Because the DOS interface is from the ARK! It is attrocious. You can do
    >> most things from in windows. Why should I have to know about disc type
    >> numbers? Start and end cylinders? Thats just lazy for them - its only a
    >> few lines of code to make a much much better UI.
    >>
    >> "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Just make the PM dos boot floppy (or make a dos boot cd), boot from that
    >>>and you have access to all its capabilities. The only thing installing it
    >>>to Windows does is to give you a dumbed-down interface to set up any
    >>>changes you want. It then reboots into dos mode to do the actual changes
    >>>anyway. So why bother and take this risk of upsetting windows - as you
    >>>found?

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Tim wrote:

    > Do you know if the DOS version is safe with RAID 1 discs?

    Tim, I really don't know that much about raid so I'd hesitate to advise.
    You could check the Symantec site and see if there is any tech support
    on that issue. Also the ftp.symantec.com is rather good for the latest
    manuals of all their products.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks for the response. I'm going to check my system for the Gear
    driver. Where did you find it, in the services? I actually have had
    an issue with spin up and seek times on my two CD/DVD drives as well
    and never had a clue why. Maybe its PM. Did you just uninstall PM
    and the Gear driver went away? I might do this for the hell of it
    anyway. I don't use PM anymore anyways.

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:33:26 +1300, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >On XP SP2.
    >PM installed a Gear ASPI driver - forget the exact name. This is I believe a
    >layered device driver that presents a SCSI (ASPI) interface to IDE devices
    >at the device level.
    >
    >With a prior version of Gear installed I found I had a bogus SCSI controller
    >and CD / DVD devices. IE with the Gear driver it was trying to hide the
    >original drives and remapping to a new letter. In My Computer I had devices
    >with conflicting details. The DVD and CD-RW would not work. PM was not the
    >product that installed this on that occasion. Summary: I new to look for
    >GEAR.
    >
    >I struck a similar set of issues with PM - DVD writing would fail, system
    >would lock up after a CD had been inserted twice, CD / DVD access was
    >intermittent. After a chat with the Tech that supplied the DVD, I
    >deinstalled progressively all s/w related to DVD. After all was removed
    >there was still a hidden device (Gear ASPI or something like that - my
    >initial reaction was it was a remnant, but the driver was still present)
    >under Services in the registry and the device indicated it was in the 'list'
    >of drivers. It was by accident (deinstall all apps recently installed) that
    >I found it was PM.
    >
    >I don't know why they have to do this... It is no biggy to create a DOS
    >device that is a synonym for a HDD that covers all cylinders of the disc so
    >that the disc can be read at the sector level. It is also no biggy to do it
    >under Windows. VSS does something like this.
    >
    >I could be wrong on this, but I was quite careful and persistent in getting
    >rid of software and checking each step - I had already tried new cables,
    >different IDE connectors, and another computer to prove the DVD drive was
    >going 100%.
    >
    >- Tim
    >

    ><none@nowhere.123> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered device
    >>>driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time to
    >>>discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    >>>solid.
    >>
    >> I was just curious what problems did you have with your DVD/CD writer
    >> after installing PM and how did you find out it was PM? I'm assuming
    >> you're referring to version 8? I wasn't aware that PM loads any apps
    >> at startup during normal operation under Windows. Please let us know.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Dr Teeth" <no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:19:50 +1000, "John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Boot the PC up using the PartitionMagic Floppy.
    >
    > This isn't necessary. When changing the size of a partition in which
    > PM is installed, it will reboot the OS and make the changes. I have
    > four OSs installed here ATM, sometimes five, and have never used a
    > floppy.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Guy
    >
    > ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
    > ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
    > ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

    I've seen PM fail when doing that. So far it's never failed when running
    from a floppy.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "th" <someguy@somewhere.se> wrote in message
    > Mercury wrote:
    > > You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    > > partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.
    > >
    > Really good point there!
    > If your Win98 is just recently installed and the HD only contains one
    > partition the simplest thing is to use old FDISK to repartition the disk
    > and reinstall Win98. With FDISK you only need to create one partition
    > and leave the rest of the HD unpartitioned. When in the WinXP
    > installation you can create new partitions and format them as you want.
    > I recommend to use NTFS with WinXP even if that means that you cannot
    > read the NTFS partition when running Win98 (or is there some program
    > that allows reading an NTFS partition from Win98?)
    >
    > --
    > th

    Dont use fdisk after you've installed BM and PM. If you do, you'll stuff the
    partition table
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mercury wrote:
    > > You only need PM if you need to make space on the disc drive for a new
    > > partition. The rest of this post is complicating matters unnecessarily.
    > >
    > > Why pay for a product that when installed bungs in a buggy layered
    device
    > > driver (Gear!) that interferes with stable XP use? It took me some time
    > > discover that PM was shafting my DVD writer and CD writer / crashing XP
    > > solid.
    > >
    > > I recommend deinstalling PM immediately you are finished with it - every
    > > time - until this POS has some serious bugs fixed.
    >
    > Why *install* PM in the first place? Even if you do want to use PM to
    > repartition, resize, clone, convert etc there's no need to install it to
    > Windows.
    >
    > Just make the PM dos boot floppy (or make a dos boot cd), boot from that
    > and you have access to all its capabilities. The only thing installing
    > it to Windows does is to give you a dumbed-down interface to set up any
    > changes you want. It then reboots into dos mode to do the actual changes
    > anyway. So why bother and take this risk of upsetting windows - as you
    > found?
    >
    > I have used Pm 4 thru' 8 and never installed any version.
    >
    > I do agree with you though that the only reason PM (or similar) might be
    > needed in this case is if it's necessary to re-size the existing Win98
    > partition to create room for XP. (It might, theoretically, be possible
    > to install XP in the same partition but I wouldn't want to risk it).
    >
    > Once the free space is made available the rest of the install is a no
    > brainer and XP will set up the boot manager. Notwithstanding this, many
    > people elect to use a third part boot manager (such as Boot Magic)
    > anyway since it lets you fully isolate (hide) the two operating system
    > partitions from each other (which the XP boot manager won't).
    >
    > Incidentally, BootitNG (Bing) has a better reputation than PM with many
    > people for both partition management and boot management.

    PM 8 allows you to browse/copy files to/from hidden partitions. The DOS
    version does
    not have this capability
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    HKLM.....Services
    It was not a visible device.
    It was visible in the driver chain for the dvd.

    > Thanks for the response. I'm going to check my system for the Gear
    > driver. Where did you find it, in the services? I actually have had
    > an issue with spin up and seek times on my two CD/DVD drives as well
    > and never had a clue why. Maybe its PM. Did you just uninstall PM
    > and the Gear driver went away? I might do this for the hell of it
    > anyway. I don't use PM anymore anyways.
    >
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:33:26 +1300, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On XP SP2.
    >>PM installed a Gear ASPI driver - forget the exact name. This is I believe
    >>layered device driver that presents a SCSI (ASPI) interface to IDE devices
    >>at the device level.
    >>
    >>With a prior version of Gear installed I found I had a bogus SCSI
    >>controller
    >>and CD / DVD devices. IE with the Gear driver it was trying to hide the
    >>original drives and remapping to a new letter. In My Computer I had
    >>devices
    >>with conflicting details. The DVD and CD-RW would not work. PM was not the
    >>product that installed this on that occasion. Summary: I new to look for
    >>GEAR.
    >>
    >>I struck a similar set of issues with PM - DVD writing would fail, system
    >>would lock up after a CD had been inserted twice, CD / DVD access was
    >>intermittent. After a chat with the Tech that supplied the DVD, I
    >>deinstalled progressively all s/w related to DVD. After all was removed
    >>there was still a hidden device (Gear ASPI or something like that - my
    >>initial reaction was it was a remnant, but the driver was still present)
    >>under Services in the registry and the device indicated it was in the
    >>'list'
    >>of drivers. It was by accident (deinstall all apps recently installed)
    >>that
    >>I found it was PM.
    >>
    >>I don't know why they have to do this... It is no biggy to create a DOS
    >>device that is a synonym for a HDD that covers all cylinders of the disc
    >>so
    >>that the disc can be read at the sector level. It is also no biggy to do
    >>it
    >>under Windows. VSS does something like this.
    >>
    >>I could be wrong on this, but I was quite careful and persistent in
    >>getting
    >>rid of software and checking each step - I had already tried new cables,
    >>different IDE connectors, and another computer to prove the DVD drive was
    >>going 100%.
    >>
    >>- Tim
    >>

    >><none@nowhere.123> wrote in message

    >>> I was just curious what problems did you have with your DVD/CD writer
    >>> after installing PM and how did you find out it was PM? I'm assuming
    >>> you're referring to version 8? I wasn't aware that PM loads any apps
    >>> at startup during normal operation under Windows. Please let us know.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "joh1955" <joh1955@bbtel-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I bought Norton Partition Magic so I could put WIN98 and WINXP on the
    > same drive. My problem is that : I installed WIN98 first with no
    > problem but I cannot figure out how to install WINXP so that I can
    > duel boot. Any help would be appreciated
    > Bob

    I suggest a third OS be installed too.

    Make a small 100MB partition at the start of the disk. Install DOS on it,
    and the DOS floppies for PM and Norton Ghost. Very handy for maintenance /
    backup (no need for floppies etc, fast bootup)

Asus Partition Magic Hard Drives Motherboards