PC 2700 and PC 3200 Together?

I purchased 1 GB of Crucial SDRAM - PC 3200 - for my Gigabyte Board that
came with 512 of PC 2700 SDRAM.

Am I better off just running the 1 GB stick or running the two sticks
together for a total of 1.5 GB of RAM, even though, the two sticks of
memory will run at PC 2700 speeds?
2 answers Last reply
More about 2700 3200 together

    I believe the answer depends on how you use the system. If you are
    frequently running with high memory usage (e.g. 80% or more), the extra
    memory will reduce the amount of swap space needed. However, if you rarely
    use as much as 50%, and you actually clock the PC3200 at the faster speed,
    using just that stick will give you better performance. If you do mix them,
    put the PC2700 in slot 1 so the auto-detect works.

    - Robert -

    "Steve Marshall" <marshall22@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased 1 GB of Crucial SDRAM - PC 3200 - for my Gigabyte Board that
    >came with 512 of PC 2700 SDRAM.
    >
    > Am I better off just running the 1 GB stick or running the two sticks
    > together for a total of 1.5 GB of RAM, even though, the two sticks of
    > memory will run at PC 2700 speeds?

    I would highly recommend just running the 1 GB of PC3200 unless you
    absolutely need the extra memory. The reason is you are going to have
    more bandwidth for data flow and end up with less bottle necks.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    RobD wrote:
    > I believe the answer depends on how you use the system. If you are
    > frequently running with high memory usage (e.g. 80% or more), the extra
    > memory will reduce the amount of swap space needed. However, if you rarely
    > use as much as 50%, and you actually clock the PC3200 at the faster speed,
    > using just that stick will give you better performance. If you do mix them,
    > put the PC2700 in slot 1 so the auto-detect works.
    >
    > - Robert -
    >
    > "Steve Marshall" <marshall22@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I purchased 1 GB of Crucial SDRAM - PC 3200 - for my Gigabyte Board that
    >>came with 512 of PC 2700 SDRAM.
    >>
    >>Am I better off just running the 1 GB stick or running the two sticks
    >>together for a total of 1.5 GB of RAM, even though, the two sticks of
    >>memory will run at PC 2700 speeds?

SDRAM Windows XP