Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My PC constantly reboots when FSB is increased......why????

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 10, 2005 3:38:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

My OS, Win XP Pro SP2, 500mb ddr 400, Geforce 440.

Hi
I've got an Athlon XP 2600+ running on a Jetway V4mdm, Via chipset.
The board is currently running with the FSB set to 133Mhz (default)
because whenever I change it to 166 Mhz the PC constantly reboots,
usually when I try to run an intensive program, game , video software
etc. The CPU is rated to run at 166 so and is the Motherboard so why
don't they?
The CPU temperature after a (166) reboot is 55c and the system temp
33c so it's not an over heating problem.
Any help or ideas much appreciated.
Thanks.
February 10, 2005 3:38:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:38:50 GMT, Anthropy <blah@bogus.com> wrote:

>My OS, Win XP Pro SP2, 500mb ddr 400, Geforce 440.
>
>Hi
>I've got an Athlon XP 2600+ running on a Jetway V4mdm, Via chipset.
>The board is currently running with the FSB set to 133Mhz (default)
>because whenever I change it to 166 Mhz the PC constantly reboots,
>usually when I try to run an intensive program, game , video software
>etc. The CPU is rated to run at 166 so and is the Motherboard so why
>don't they?
>The CPU temperature after a (166) reboot is 55c and the system temp
>33c so it's not an over heating problem.
>Any help or ideas much appreciated.
>Thanks.
>
>

Have you tried running the ram at the same MHz as the CPU clock
(166MHz/(DDR 333)?

Check cpu settings, multiplier, vcore, etc...

TBRED 2600+ - 2083MHz (166x12.5) 256K L2
BARTON 2600+ - 1917MHz (166x11.5) 512K L2
VCORE = 1.65V

Ed
February 10, 2005 4:20:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:01:13 -0600, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:38:50 GMT, Anthropy <blah@bogus.com> wrote:
>
>>My OS, Win XP Pro SP2, 500mb ddr 400, Geforce 440.
>>
>>Hi
>>I've got an Athlon XP 2600+ running on a Jetway V4mdm, Via chipset.
>>The board is currently running with the FSB set to 133Mhz (default)
>>because whenever I change it to 166 Mhz the PC constantly reboots,
>>usually when I try to run an intensive program, game , video software
>>etc. The CPU is rated to run at 166 so and is the Motherboard so why
>>don't they?
>>The CPU temperature after a (166) reboot is 55c and the system temp
>>33c so it's not an over heating problem.
>>Any help or ideas much appreciated.
>>Thanks.
>>
>>
>
>Have you tried running the ram at the same MHz as the CPU clock
>(166MHz/(DDR 333)?
>
>Check cpu settings, multiplier, vcore, etc...
>
>TBRED 2600+ - 2083MHz (166x12.5) 256K L2
>BARTON 2600+ - 1917MHz (166x11.5) 512K L2
>VCORE = 1.65V
>
>Ed

Thanks for your help
The RAM is running at 333 when the board is running at 166. It reads
out in the POST so that's ok
Is there some way I can find out whether my CPU is TBRED or BARTON?
I'm not sure what these terms mean (quality of CPU?), so I can check
my readouts against your figures.
Thanks again.
Related resources
February 10, 2005 4:20:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:20:36 GMT, Anthropy <blah@bogus.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help
>The RAM is running at 333 when the board is running at 166. It reads
>out in the POST so that's ok
>Is there some way I can find out whether my CPU is TBRED or BARTON?
>I'm not sure what these terms mean (quality of CPU?), so I can check
>my readouts against your figures.
>Thanks again.

CPU-Z should tell you what it is.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

If you know the OPN of the CPU you can look it up here,
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/amd_pro...
(Bartons are 1.65V but some of the XP's do use lower voltages).
Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 10:47:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:kqel0112tq15voa3ee47eb11nhir0n653h@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:20:36 GMT, Anthropy <blah@bogus.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your help
>>The RAM is running at 333 when the board is running at 166. It reads
>>out in the POST so that's ok
>>Is there some way I can find out whether my CPU is TBRED or BARTON?
>>I'm not sure what these terms mean (quality of CPU?), so I can check
>>my readouts against your figures.
>>Thanks again.
>
> CPU-Z should tell you what it is.
> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
>
> If you know the OPN of the CPU you can look it up here,
> http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/amd_pro...
> (Bartons are 1.65V but some of the XP's do use lower voltages).
> Ed
>
>
>
>
You may have a problem with your RAM as well. I've used PC-3000 (188MHz)
RAM (Yes, PC-3000) on a 2800+ Barton, so it should've worked, but the
computer would constantly reboot at 166MHz. Dropped the FSB to 150MHz or
below and it works fine. Changing the VCORE didn't help either. It could
also be that the mobo is picky and won't detect the RAM properly.
!