CDROM Tray Opens Randomly????

August 3, 2004 8:00:50 PM

I have a client who is reporting his CDROM opens on it's
own, at random. Just so that you know I'm not a lazy slob,
I couldnt find anything EventViewer.... so I'm going to
flash the BIOS next. Just hoping that someone may have run
across something weird like this before.

Thanks
Wade
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 10:08:16 PM

Could be the result of some spyware or a trick program
someone emailed him and he opened. Open Task Manager
and look for any suspicious programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

Download Ad-Aware 6.0 and scan your PC for the presence of spyware
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Note: Be sure to click on the "Check for updates now" link before scanning.

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I have a client who is reporting his CDROM opens on it's
| own, at random. Just so that you know I'm not a lazy slob,
| I couldnt find anything EventViewer.... so I'm going to
| flash the BIOS next. Just hoping that someone may have run
| across something weird like this before.
|
| Thanks
| Wade
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 4:40:08 AM

spyware removal or Spyware protecter program from
websites like Cdnet or Download.com or if you have DC++
that is another good route for downloading software.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:20:08 PM

I had this problem some time back - turned out to be a
faulty CD-ROM drive, not spyware, nor malicious hacking!

The solution? Replace the CD-ROM drive.

Regards

Peter Cairns

software
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
>
>Download Ad-Aware 6.0 and scan your PC for the presence
of spyware
>http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?
part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

>Note: Be sure to click on the "Check for updates now"
link before scanning.

>Symantec Security Check
>http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?
langid=ie&venid=sym

--------------------------

>"Wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message:

>|I have a client who is reporting his CDROM opens on
it's
>| own, at random. Just so that you know I'm not a lazy
slob,
>| I couldnt find anything EventViewer.... so I'm going
>| flash the BIOS next. Just hoping that someone may have
run
>| across something weird like this before.
>|
>| Thanks
>| Wade
>.

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 11:07:13 PM

Greetings --

Agreed. This is a common fault with the lower quality CD drives
many OEMs use.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Peter Cairns" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had this problem some time back - turned out to be a
> faulty CD-ROM drive, not spyware, nor malicious hacking!
>
> The solution? Replace the CD-ROM drive.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Cairns
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:00:45 AM

to the original poster:
I had this happen once after somebody installed a new CD drive, but
the computer slowed down to a crawl also and then froze ----the drive
cable was reversed (data cable pin one red stripe was not going to
drive pin 1- usually next to the power jack)

hth

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:07:13 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
<bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings --
>
> Agreed. This is a common fault with the lower quality CD drives
>many OEMs use.
>
>Bruce Chambers
>--
>Help us help you:
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
>having both at once. - RAH
>

>"Peter Cairns" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I had this problem some time back - turned out to be a
>> faulty CD-ROM drive, not spyware, nor malicious hacking!
>>
>> The solution? Replace the CD-ROM drive.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Peter Cairns

Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond.
Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.
!