CDROM Tray Opens Randomly????

I have a client who is reporting his CDROM opens on it's
own, at random. Just so that you know I'm not a lazy slob,
I couldnt find anything EventViewer.... so I'm going to
flash the BIOS next. Just hoping that someone may have run
across something weird like this before.

Thanks
Wade
5 answers Last reply
More about cdrom tray opens randomly

    Could be the result of some spyware or a trick program
    someone emailed him and he opened. Open Task Manager
    and look for any suspicious programs.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

    Download Ad-Aware 6.0 and scan your PC for the presence of spyware
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

    Note: Be sure to click on the "Check for updates now" link before scanning.

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    |I have a client who is reporting his CDROM opens on it's
    | own, at random. Just so that you know I'm not a lazy slob,
    | I couldnt find anything EventViewer.... so I'm going to
    | flash the BIOS next. Just hoping that someone may have run
    | across something weird like this before.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Wade

    spyware removal or Spyware protecter program from
    websites like Cdnet or Download.com or if you have DC++
    that is another good route for downloading software.

    I had this problem some time back - turned out to be a
    faulty CD-ROM drive, not spyware, nor malicious hacking!

    The solution? Replace the CD-ROM drive.

    Regards

    Peter Cairns

    Greetings --

    Agreed. This is a common fault with the lower quality CD drives
    many OEMs use.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Peter Cairns" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had this problem some time back - turned out to be a
    > faulty CD-ROM drive, not spyware, nor malicious hacking!
    >
    > The solution? Replace the CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Peter Cairns

    to the original poster:
    I had this happen once after somebody installed a new CD drive, but
    the computer slowed down to a crawl also and then froze ----the drive
    cable was reversed (data cable pin one red stripe was not going to
    drive pin 1- usually next to the power jack)

    hth

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:07:13 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
    <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

    >Greetings --
    >
    > Agreed. This is a common fault with the lower quality CD drives
    >many OEMs use.
    >
    >Bruce Chambers
    >--
    >Help us help you:
    >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    >You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    >having both at once. - RAH
    >

    >"Peter Cairns" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I had this problem some time back - turned out to be a
    >> faulty CD-ROM drive, not spyware, nor malicious hacking!
    >>
    >> The solution? Replace the CD-ROM drive.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Peter Cairns

    Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond.
    Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP