P4P800 SE Deluxeand Win98 install problem

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Are there known issues with Win98se and the P4P800 se? This board and
P4 3 ghz CPU have created havoc in a college level computer repair
class. Five out of seven will not boot to Windows. The boot goes to
the Windows screen and goes no further. The little section of the
window at the bottom indicates the system is doing something but you
can wait until hell freezes over and it ain't gonna go any further.

Words of wisdom will be appreciated by the class.

TIA

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:22:46 -0600, Unknown <dwilkins@unitelc.com>
wrote:

>,;
>,;Are there known issues with Win98se and the P4P800 se? This board and
>,;P4 3 ghz CPU have created havoc in a college level computer repair
>,;class. Five out of seven will not boot to Windows. The boot goes to
>,;the Windows screen and goes no further. The little section of the
>,;window at the bottom indicates the system is doing something but you
>,;can wait until hell freezes over and it ain't gonna go any further.
>,;
>,;Words of wisdom will be appreciated by the class.
>,;
>,;TIA

Additional info...Win2K and XP work just fine on these builds.

Paul

Splendid

In article <m5um01hl8rhr6cdhkmoh6on0b1opq8l761@4ax.com>, dhw@c.com wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:22:46 -0600, Unknown <dwilkins@unitelc.com>
> wrote:
>
> >,;
> >,;Are there known issues with Win98se and the P4P800 se? This board and
> >,;P4 3 ghz CPU have created havoc in a college level computer repair
> >,;class. Five out of seven will not boot to Windows. The boot goes to
> >,;the Windows screen and goes no further. The little section of the
> >,;window at the bottom indicates the system is doing something but you
> >,;can wait until hell freezes over and it ain't gonna go any further.
> >,;
> >,;Words of wisdom will be appreciated by the class.
> >,;
> >,;TIA
>
> Additional info...Win2K and XP work just fine on these builds.

More than 512MB of RAM ? That spells trouble with Win98se.
Put one stick of 512MB in there and try again. If you Google
for it, there are two settings "MaxPhysPage" and "MaxFileCache"
you can use, to allow booting Win98SE with more than 512MB
of RAM present in the computer.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=nospam-0212031954110001%40192.168.1.177

Paul

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:35:59 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>,;In article <m5um01hl8rhr6cdhkmoh6on0b1opq8l761@4ax.com>, dhw@c.com wrote:
>,;
>,;> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:22:46 -0600, Unknown <dwilkins@unitelc.com>
>,;> wrote:
>,;>
>,;> >,;
>,;> >,;Are there known issues with Win98se and the P4P800 se? This board and
>,;> >,;P4 3 ghz CPU have created havoc in a college level computer repair
>,;> >,;class. Five out of seven will not boot to Windows. The boot goes to
>,;> >,;the Windows screen and goes no further. The little section of the
>,;> >,;window at the bottom indicates the system is doing something but you
>,;> >,;can wait until hell freezes over and it ain't gonna go any further.
>,;> >,;
>,;> >,;Words of wisdom will be appreciated by the class.
>,;> >,;
>,;> >,;TIA
>,;>
>,;> Additional info...Win2K and XP work just fine on these builds.
>,;
>,;More than 512MB of RAM ? That spells trouble with Win98se.
>,;Put one stick of 512MB in there and try again. If you Google
>,;for it, there are two settings "MaxPhysPage" and "MaxFileCache"
>,;you can use, to allow booting Win98SE with more than 512MB
>,;of RAM present in the computer.
>,;
>,;http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=nospam-0212031954110001%40192.168.1.177

Thanks anyway but I think you intended to reply to a different
message. The amount of ram was not given in my original post but it is
one stick of 128MB. Bad ram maybe but too much ram... noway. If it was
one build by one student then bad ram would be possible. Five out of
seven builds a problem? All builds with new out of the box parts
suggests a different problem.

Paul

Splendid

In article <gt7n01l6g1f5gtgjgffmpd5b4675a1pmj2@4ax.com>, dhw@c.com wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:35:59 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >,;In article <m5um01hl8rhr6cdhkmoh6on0b1opq8l761@4ax.com>, dhw@c.com wrote:
> >,;
> >,;> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:22:46 -0600, Unknown <dwilkins@unitelc.com>
> >,;> wrote:
> >,;>
> >,;> >,;
> >,;> >,;Are there known issues with Win98se and the P4P800 se? This board and
> >,;> >,;P4 3 ghz CPU have created havoc in a college level computer repair
> >,;> >,;class. Five out of seven will not boot to Windows. The boot goes to
> >,;> >,;the Windows screen and goes no further. The little section of the
> >,;> >,;window at the bottom indicates the system is doing something but you
> >,;> >,;can wait until hell freezes over and it ain't gonna go any further.
> >,;> >,;
> >,;> >,;Words of wisdom will be appreciated by the class.
> >,;> >,;
> >,;> >,;TIA
> >,;>
> >,;> Additional info...Win2K and XP work just fine on these builds.
> >,;
> >,;More than 512MB of RAM ? That spells trouble with Win98se.
> >,;Put one stick of 512MB in there and try again. If you Google
> >,;for it, there are two settings "MaxPhysPage" and "MaxFileCache"
> >,;you can use, to allow booting Win98SE with more than 512MB
> >,;of RAM present in the computer.
> >,;
> >,;http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=nospam-0212031954110001%40192.168.1.177
>
> Thanks anyway but I think you intended to reply to a different
> message. The amount of ram was not given in my original post but it is
> one stick of 128MB. Bad ram maybe but too much ram... noway. If it was
> one build by one student then bad ram would be possible. Five out of
> seven builds a problem? All builds with new out of the box parts
> suggests a different problem.

Have you compared BIOS settings on the machines ?

Are these clean installs, or a transplanted disk slapped into
the machine ?

The fact that your WinXP/Win2K boots, doesn't leave a lot of
possible causes. The ICH5 Southbridge has an "Enhanced/Compatible"
setting, and Win98 can only handle four disks on the Southbridge.
You might leave the setting at "Compatible" in the BIOS (not the
default setting) and see if both Win98 and the other OSes can all
boot with that setting. Compatible enables four of six possible
disks on the Southbridge, so either one IDE cable, or two SATA
ports end up disabled.

Is there some logging option available in Safe Mode ? Maybe
you might see something pop up there ?

And do WinXP/Win2K work with 128MB ? I'm just curious, in case
someone ever asks that question here.

Just some guesses,
Paul

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:32:44 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>,;In article <gt7n01l6g1f5gtgjgffmpd5b4675a1pmj2@4ax.com>, dhw@c.com wrote:
>,;
>,;> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:35:59 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>,;>
>,;> >,;In article <m5um01hl8rhr6cdhkmoh6on0b1opq8l761@4ax.com>, dhw@c.com wrote:
>,;> >,;
>,;> >,;> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:22:46 -0600, Unknown <dwilkins@unitelc.com>
>,;> >,;> wrote:
>,;> >,;>
>,;> >,;> >,;
>,;> >,;> >,;Are there known issues with Win98se and the P4P800 se? This board and
>,;> >,;> >,;P4 3 ghz CPU have created havoc in a college level computer repair
>,;> >,;> >,;class. Five out of seven will not boot to Windows. The boot goes to
>,;> >,;> >,;the Windows screen and goes no further. The little section of the
>,;> >,;> >,;window at the bottom indicates the system is doing something but you
>,;> >,;> >,;can wait until hell freezes over and it ain't gonna go any further.
>,;> >,;> >,;
>,;> >,;> >,;Words of wisdom will be appreciated by the class.
>,;> >,;> >,;
>,;> >,;> >,;TIA
>,;> >,;>
>,;> >,;> Additional info...Win2K and XP work just fine on these builds.
>,;> >,;
>,;> >,;More than 512MB of RAM ? That spells trouble with Win98se.
>,;> >,;Put one stick of 512MB in there and try again. If you Google
>,;> >,;for it, there are two settings "MaxPhysPage" and "MaxFileCache"
>,;> >,;you can use, to allow booting Win98SE with more than 512MB
>,;> >,;of RAM present in the computer.
>,;> >,;
>,;> >,;http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=nospam-0212031954110001%40192.168.1.177
>,;>
>,;> Thanks anyway but I think you intended to reply to a different
>,;> message. The amount of ram was not given in my original post but it is
>,;> one stick of 128MB. Bad ram maybe but too much ram... noway. If it was
>,;> one build by one student then bad ram would be possible. Five out of
>,;> seven builds a problem? All builds with new out of the box parts
>,;> suggests a different problem.
>,;
>,;Have you compared BIOS settings on the machines ?
All parts were new sealed in original boxes. Everything even the
cases.
>,;
>,;Are these clean installs, or a transplanted disk slapped into
>,;the machine ?

New out of the sealed box Seagate SATA HD.
>,;
>,;The fact that your WinXP/Win2K boots, doesn't leave a lot of
>,;possible causes. The ICH5 Southbridge has an "Enhanced/Compatible"
>,;setting, and Win98 can only handle four disks on the Southbridge.
>,;You might leave the setting at "Compatible" in the BIOS (not the
>,;default setting) and see if both Win98 and the other OSes can all
>,;boot with that setting. Compatible enables four of six possible
>,;disks on the Southbridge, so either one IDE cable, or two SATA
>,;ports end up disabled.

Only one SATA HD installed.
>,;
>,;Is there some logging option available in Safe Mode ? Maybe
>,;you might see something pop up there ?

Will give that a try.
>,;
>,;And do WinXP/Win2K work with 128MB ? I'm just curious, in case
>,;someone ever asks that question here.

Yes both work OK with 128MB.

See this URL for XP Pro requirements.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

>,;Just some guesses,

Thanks, that is what we are doing now and I was hoping for a solution
on this newsgroup.