CPU Upgrade

Hi, I'm trying to bring my mothers PC back to life. It kept on switching
itself off unannounced. I worked out that the fan was not working and
replaced it. The fan worked but then suddenly nothing happens when you turn
pc on. I'm assuming that the CPU overheated and needs replacing. Is that a
reasonable starting point. Someone said that it might be the whole
motherboard or the memory that has gone.

I was going to start with a new processor. It is an A XP1600+. I think that
is socket a? Can anyone tell me what CPU will be compatible with this?

Thanks

Steve

"Steve Ford" <steveford77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm trying to bring my mothers PC back to life. It kept on switching
> itself off unannounced. I worked out that the fan was not working and
> replaced it. The fan worked but then suddenly nothing happens when you
turn
> pc on. I'm assuming that the CPU overheated and needs replacing. Is that a
> reasonable starting point. Someone said that it might be the whole
> motherboard or the memory that has gone.
>
> I was going to start with a new processor. It is an A XP1600+. I think
that
> is socket a? Can anyone tell me what CPU will be compatible with this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

This could start getting expensive fast if you aren't sure which parts need
to be replaced and you just start changing them one at a time.

As far as what CPU you can use, it depends on what the motherboard will
allow.

peter

There are many reasons for a PC that could not be started.

You are wasting time and money to buy new CPU if you don't know what's wrong.

I would suggest you to boot into BIOS first.
If it could not boot into BIOS, check as below:
1. the AC power supply - make sure it is on and the fuse is not blowed.
2. the ATX power supply unit - if the chassis fan is working, usually the PSU should be OK
3. the motherboard - check for any abnormal marks, burns, bad smell, etc.
4. check the CPU fan - it should be working when power on the PC, if it doesn't working, either the CPU fan is fried or the power cable is losen, or in the worse case, the mobo is damaged
5. make sure all the internal devices, ram chips and power cables are all connectied firmly and properly.
6. check the mobo battery, change it if the PC is over 3 years.

Pls post back what have you done.

--
Peter