How true is Asus Probe?

Hi
I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
(~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
(2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
believe??
Thanks

Kev
11 answers Last reply
More about true asus probe

    "Kev S" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    > was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    > (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    > (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    > believe??
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kev

    Could you please provide a link to that version? The latest I can find on
    the Asus web site is 2.23.04.
    FWIW, my A8V Deluxe also reports a low reading for the +12V in Probe
    (whatever version cam on the motherboard CD), but the reading is confirmed
    by another utility, SpeedFan, so I have no reason to think they're both
    getting it wrong. When I first saw it, I considered upgrading my PSU, but as
    I'm not having any problems...

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:11:20 +0000, Kev S <anon@anon.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    >was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    >(~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    >(2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    >believe??
    >Thanks
    >
    >Kev

    On a newer board I'd use the newest version of probe.
    You could always test the board with a voltage meter.
    Ed
    --
    PCpTray - PC Probe add-on utility
    http://tinyurl.com/6bhxe

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:11:12 -0600, "Peter van der Goes"
    <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote:

    >"Kev S" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    >> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    >> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    >> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    >> believe??
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Kev
    >
    >Could you please provide a link to that version? The latest I can find on
    >the Asus web site is 2.23.04.
    >FWIW, my A8V Deluxe also reports a low reading for the +12V in Probe
    >(whatever version cam on the motherboard CD), but the reading is confirmed
    >by another utility, SpeedFan, so I have no reason to think they're both
    >getting it wrong. When I first saw it, I considered upgrading my PSU, but as
    >I'm not having any problems...

    Here you go...
    http://www.asus.it/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=21&l3_id=3&m_id=1&f_name=Probe22402.zip~zaqwedc

    Well I am not getting problems either, and even motherboard monitor
    doesnt warn me about it either....so I really dont know lol

    I got CPUz http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and it pretty much concurred with
    the probe for me. Especially with voltages.

    Kev S wrote:
    > Hi
    > I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    > was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    > (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    > (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    > believe??

    Neither.

    The most reliable way of testing your rails is to shove a multimeter across
    a molex connector whilst the machine is running. Be sure not to short
    anything though.

    Ben

    Kev S wrote:

    > Hi
    > I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    > was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    > (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    > (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    > believe??

    I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
    since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
    not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
    all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
    could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
    supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
    (or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?

    Wayne

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0500, W Shumaker
    <no_spam_please@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Kev S wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    >> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    >> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    >> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    >> believe??
    >
    >I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
    >since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
    >not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
    >all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
    >could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
    >supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
    >(or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
    >
    >Wayne

    I have tried both a chieftec 300 watt and an antec 550watt...both read
    the same. I also downloaded speed fan and that reports a low +12 line
    (11.31).

    Kev

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:58:19 +0000, Kev S <anon@anon.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0500, W Shumaker
    ><no_spam_please@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Kev S wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    >>> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    >>> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    >>> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    >>> believe??
    >>
    >>I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
    >>since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
    >>not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
    >>all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
    >>could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
    >>supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
    >>(or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
    >>
    >>Wayne
    >
    >I have tried both a chieftec 300 watt and an antec 550watt...both read
    >the same. I also downloaded speed fan and that reports a low +12 line
    >(11.31).
    >
    >Kev

    Probably just the monitor chip on the board, most of the time my A7N8X
    reports the 12v as 11.7V but a voltage meter (at the Molex or MOSFET)
    says 11.98 at idle and 12.01 under load.

    Ed

    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0500, W Shumaker
    > <no_spam_please@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Kev S wrote:
    >>
    > I have tried both a chieftec 300 watt and an antec 550watt...both read
    > the same. I also downloaded speed fan and that reports a low +12 line
    > (11.31).
    >
    > Kev

    FYI, I installed Probe 2.24.02 and have the same results you got. Probe now
    "reads" my +12 as 11.94, while SpeedFan still says 11.31. My guess is that
    the new Probe compensates for the deficiency of the monitor chip. As I'm
    overclocked to 2.4 GHz with a 3200+ Winchester and 1Gig PC 4000 memory with
    no issues using an Antec 400W PSU, I doubt my +12 is really low :)

    W Shumaker wrote:
    > Kev S wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    >> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    >> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    >> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    >> believe??
    >

    > I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
    > since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
    > not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
    > all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
    > could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
    > supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
    > (or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
    >
    > Wayne

    I don't think they all can read the chips correctly. Motherboard
    Monitor 5, Everest, and Sandra all report the voltages on my P5P800 way
    wrong. They show the +12V reading to be over 15.5 volts! Probe shows
    it to be right at 12 volts. This is with a Raidmax 450, an Athena 500,
    and a Zalman 400. The readings on the Zalman with a P4T-E are the same
    as shown with Probe with the new board.
    The temperatures with all the programs reads the same though.

    In article <6Nmdnbpl4tfHWZHfRVn-hw@comcast.com>, mail_nospam@zuik.net wrote:

    > Kev S wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
    > > was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
    > > (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
    > > (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
    > > believe??
    >
    > I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
    > since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
    > not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
    > all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
    > could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
    > supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
    > (or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
    >
    > Wayne

    The chips use an external resistor divider, to set the scale
    of the readings. In other words, the chip itself reads say
    0 to 4.096 volts full scale. To measure a 12V signal, a resistive
    divider trims the signal to say 1/4 of its normal size.

    The person writing the utility has to know what two resistors
    were used to scale the signal. When the chip measures 3.0 volts,
    the utility multiplies the measured value by the scale factor
    (factor of 4 in this example), to get a readout of 12V. You would
    think the motherboard designers would stick with the same
    design all the time, but if the full scale reading of the
    monitor chips are not all the same, then there will be
    differences between how the various models of motherboards work.
    And Asus does like to keep changing what monitor chip is used.

    People who set up "lmsensors" in Linux need to know this stuff.
    It is really too bad that the monitor chip doesn't already have
    this stuff scaled, as it would be really easy to do, and ATX
    power supplies haven't changed that much over the years.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=20030228014013%244e5d%40gated-at.bofh.it

    Converting case and CPU socket temperatures is even
    more complicated, as the thermistors used are non-linear, and
    the constant known as "beta" must be known for the thermistor.
    While most designs with stick with beta=3435 R_at_25C=10K ohms,
    there is nothing stopping a motherboard designer from using
    another kind of thermistor. Any monitor program must know the
    beta value and resistance values in the circuit, to convert
    the voltage reading from the thermistor into a temperature.
    So, knowledge of the external components is what prevents
    utilities from being immediately transferrable to new
    motherboards, and is likely a reason there are so many releases
    of Asus Probe. (Gaining access to the SMBUS is the other reason
    for re-releasing Asus Probe.) Also, with temperature conversion,
    usually a "fudge factor" is used in the form of a temperature
    offset - that is used to try to make the measured CPU socket
    temperature seem reasonable. No two monitor programs will agree
    on the "fudge factor" to use for a measured temperature, as the
    factor can only be established by doing experiments. That is
    one reason a BIOS temperature measurement won't agree with a
    MBM5 or Asus Probe measurement.

    Paul

Asus CD-Rom Motherboards