  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2005 6:11:20 PM

Hi
I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
(~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
(2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
believe??
Thanks

Kev

More about : true asus probe

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2005 6:11:21 PM

"Kev S" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
> believe??
> Thanks
>
> Kev

Could you please provide a link to that version? The latest I can find on
the Asus web site is 2.23.04.
FWIW, my A8V Deluxe also reports a low reading for the +12V in Probe
(whatever version cam on the motherboard CD), but the reading is confirmed
by another utility, SpeedFan, so I have no reason to think they're both
getting it wrong. When I first saw it, I considered upgrading my PSU, but as
I'm not having any problems...
February 10, 2005 6:11:21 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:11:20 +0000, Kev S <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
>was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
>(~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
>(2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
>believe??
>Thanks
>
>Kev

On a newer board I'd use the newest version of probe.
You could always test the board with a voltage meter.
Ed
--
PCpTray - PC Probe add-on utility
http://tinyurl.com/6bhxe

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:11:12 -0600, "Peter van der Goes"
<p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote:

>"Kev S" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
>> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
>> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
>> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
>> believe??
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kev
>
>Could you please provide a link to that version? The latest I can find on
>the Asus web site is 2.23.04.
>FWIW, my A8V Deluxe also reports a low reading for the +12V in Probe
>(whatever version cam on the motherboard CD), but the reading is confirmed
>by another utility, SpeedFan, so I have no reason to think they're both
>getting it wrong. When I first saw it, I considered upgrading my PSU, but as
>I'm not having any problems...

Here you go...
http://www.asus.it/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_i...

Well I am not getting problems either, and even motherboard monitor
doesnt warn me about it either....so I really dont know lol
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2005 9:33:26 PM

I got CPUz http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and it pretty much concurred with
the probe for me. Especially with voltages.

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message

> "Kev S" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
>> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
>> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
>> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
>> believe??
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kev
>
> Could you please provide a link to that version? The latest I can find on
> the Asus web site is 2.23.04.
> FWIW, my A8V Deluxe also reports a low reading for the +12V in Probe
> (whatever version cam on the motherboard CD), but the reading is confirmed
> by another utility, SpeedFan, so I have no reason to think they're both
> getting it wrong. When I first saw it, I considered upgrading my PSU, but
> as I'm not having any problems...

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2005 11:47:08 PM

Kev S wrote:
> Hi
> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
> believe??

Neither.

The most reliable way of testing your rails is to shove a multimeter across
a molex connector whilst the machine is running. Be sure not to short
anything though.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2005 12:42:36 PM

Kev S wrote:

> Hi
> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
> believe??

I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
(or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?

Wayne
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2005 7:58:19 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0500, W Shumaker
<no_spam_please@comcast.net> wrote:

>Kev S wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
>> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
>> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
>> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
>> believe??
>
>I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
>since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
>not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
>all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
>could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
>supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
>(or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
>
>Wayne

I have tried both a chieftec 300 watt and an antec 550watt...both read
the same. I also downloaded speed fan and that reports a low +12 line
(11.31).

Kev
February 11, 2005 7:58:20 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:58:19 +0000, Kev S <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0500, W Shumaker
><no_spam_please@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Kev S wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
>>> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
>>> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
>>> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
>>> believe??
>>
>>I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
>>since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
>>not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
>>all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
>>could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
>>supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
>>(or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
>>
>>Wayne
>
>I have tried both a chieftec 300 watt and an antec 550watt...both read
>the same. I also downloaded speed fan and that reports a low +12 line
>(11.31).
>
>Kev

Probably just the monitor chip on the board, most of the time my A7N8X
reports the 12v as 11.7V but a voltage meter (at the Molex or MOSFET)
says 11.98 at idle and 12.01 under load.

Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2005 7:58:20 PM

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0500, W Shumaker
> <no_spam_please@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Kev S wrote:
>>
> I have tried both a chieftec 300 watt and an antec 550watt...both read
> the same. I also downloaded speed fan and that reports a low +12 line
> (11.31).
>
> Kev

FYI, I installed Probe 2.24.02 and have the same results you got. Probe now
"reads" my +12 as 11.94, while SpeedFan still says 11.31. My guess is that
the new Probe compensates for the deficiency of the monitor chip. As I'm
overclocked to 2.4 GHz with a 3200+ Winchester and 1Gig PC 4000 memory with
no issues using an Antec 400W PSU, I doubt my +12 is really low :)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2005 10:38:14 PM

W Shumaker wrote:
> Kev S wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
>> was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
>> (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
>> (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
>> believe??
>

> I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
> since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
> not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
> all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
> could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
> supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
> (or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
>
> Wayne

I don't think they all can read the chips correctly. Motherboard
Monitor 5, Everest, and Sandra all report the voltages on my P5P800 way
wrong. They show the +12V reading to be over 15.5 volts! Probe shows
it to be right at 12 volts. This is with a Raidmax 450, an Athena 500,
and a Zalman 400. The readings on the Zalman with a P4T-E are the same
as shown with Probe with the new board.
The temperatures with all the programs reads the same though.
February 12, 2005 12:01:47 AM

In article <6Nmdnbpl4tfHWZHfRVn-hw@comcast.com>, mail_nospam@zuik.net wrote:

> Kev S wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I recently assembled an A8V Deluxe. I installed the Asus probe which
> > was on the motherboard CD, and it was reading quite low +12v voltages
> > (~11.400). I found a later revision of Asus probe on the Asus site
> > (2.24.02) and its now reading my +12 line better, 12.032. Which do I
> > believe??
>
> I would suspect that all utilities will get the same result
> since the actual circuitry measuring the voltage is on the board
> not in the utility. If the board does not measure correctly,
> all any utility can do is report that. I suppose that a utility
> could have code errors. I have often seen the 12V line on some
> supplies to be low, anything +-5% is pobably within spec
> (or is it 10% for 12V?). What power supply are you using?
>
> Wayne

The chips use an external resistor divider, to set the scale
of the readings. In other words, the chip itself reads say
0 to 4.096 volts full scale. To measure a 12V signal, a resistive
divider trims the signal to say 1/4 of its normal size.

The person writing the utility has to know what two resistors
were used to scale the signal. When the chip measures 3.0 volts,
the utility multiplies the measured value by the scale factor
(factor of 4 in this example), to get a readout of 12V. You would
think the motherboard designers would stick with the same
design all the time, but if the full scale reading of the
monitor chips are not all the same, then there will be
differences between how the various models of motherboards work.
And Asus does like to keep changing what monitor chip is used.

People who set up "lmsensors" in Linux need to know this stuff.
It is really too bad that the monitor chip doesn't already have
this stuff scaled, as it would be really easy to do, and ATX
power supplies haven't changed that much over the years.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=20030228014013%244e...

Converting case and CPU socket temperatures is even
more complicated, as the thermistors used are non-linear, and
the constant known as "beta" must be known for the thermistor.
While most designs with stick with beta=3435 R_at_25C=10K ohms,
there is nothing stopping a motherboard designer from using
another kind of thermistor. Any monitor program must know the
beta value and resistance values in the circuit, to convert
the voltage reading from the thermistor into a temperature.
So, knowledge of the external components is what prevents
utilities from being immediately transferrable to new
motherboards, and is likely a reason there are so many releases
of Asus Probe. (Gaining access to the SMBUS is the other reason
for re-releasing Asus Probe.) Also, with temperature conversion,
usually a "fudge factor" is used in the form of a temperature
offset - that is used to try to make the measured CPU socket
temperature seem reasonable. No two monitor programs will agree
on the "fudge factor" to use for a measured temperature, as the
factor can only be established by doing experiments. That is
one reason a BIOS temperature measurement won't agree with a
MBM5 or Asus Probe measurement.

Paul
!