A8N-SLI vs. Deluxe?

I have noticed that some retailers are selling 2 versions of the
A8N-SLI. The non-deluxe version is cheeper by a fair amount (like $50
USD), yet I can't tell any difference between the two reading the specs.
Can someone please help me understand this?

Paul

Splendid

In article <ZdLOd.11819$wK.3968@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Robert
James <""r.james\"@NO$mindspring$SPAM.com"> wrote:

> I have noticed that some retailers are selling 2 versions of the
> A8N-SLI. The non-deluxe version is cheeper by a fair amount (like $50
> USD), yet I can't tell any difference between the two reading the specs.
> Can someone please help me understand this?

The Deluxe adds:

SIL3114 Four channel SATA RAID.
Vocal Post reporter ($2 worth of chips that is handy for debugging).
Marvell Gigabit LAN controller (total two LAN interfaces)

The non-Deluxe board uses a similar PCB to the
Deluxe, only the above chips will be missing.

The easiest way to compare them, is look at the specification
summary in the two manuals. The two manuals total 15MB of download.

http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI/e1815b_a8n-sli.pdf
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI%20Deluxe/e1889_a8n_sli_deluxe.zip

Always download the manual before buying, as the manual contains
the actual board feature set. Verify the necessary DRAM settings,
and voltage adjustments you need, are there before buying.

Also, make sure there won't be a BIOS "chicken versus egg" problem,
by visiting this page. If you need a particular BIOS for your processor,
check with your vendor and see what is on the board. If in doubt,
buy the board locally, so you can look at the board in person.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

HTH,
Paul

Pug

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

There's three now, a deluxe sli is available as well.

"Robert James" <""r.james\"@NO$mindspring$SPAM.com"> wrote in message
>I have noticed that some retailers are selling 2 versions of the A8N-SLI.
>The non-deluxe version is cheeper by a fair amount (like $50 USD), yet I
>can't tell any difference between the two reading the specs. Can someone
>please help me understand this?

Thank you for the insight.

Robert James > wrote:
> I have noticed that some retailers are selling 2 versions of the
> A8N-SLI. The non-deluxe version is cheeper by a fair amount (like $50
> USD), yet I can't tell any difference between the two reading the specs.
> Can someone please help me understand this?

milleron

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:21:10 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <ZdLOd.11819$wK.3968@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Robert
>James <""r.james\"@NO$mindspring$SPAM.com"> wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that some retailers are selling 2 versions of the
>> A8N-SLI. The non-deluxe version is cheeper by a fair amount (like $50
>> USD), yet I can't tell any difference between the two reading the specs.
>> Can someone please help me understand this?
>
>The Deluxe adds:
>
> SIL3114 Four channel SATA RAID.
snip

I'm interested in installing a couple of Plextor SATA OPTICAL drives
in my new A8N computer. Will the extra SATA controller give me any
advantage in my quest, or is the Silicon Image controller limited to
hard drives? How about the built-in NF4 SATA controller -- can it
handle optical drives?

The Plextor SATA Compatibility List
(http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm)
is not of much help because no NF4 mobo is listed, and there are
variations in results with SI controllers used on other boards. It
looks like SI3112 and SI3114 controllers give good results on some
motherboards and not on others.

(The subject is kind of moot because, as of this date, the A8N SLI
Deluxe seems to cost a few pence less than the A8N SLI, so I see no
reason not to buy the Deluxe, but I'd still like to have the answer to
the above questions if anyone knows.)
Ron

milleron wrote:
> I'm interested in installing a couple of Plextor SATA OPTICAL drives
> in my new A8N computer. Will the extra SATA controller give me any
> advantage in my quest, or is the Silicon Image controller limited to
> hard drives? How about the built-in NF4 SATA controller -- can it
> handle optical drives?
>
> The Plextor SATA Compatibility List
> (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm)
> is not of much help because no NF4 mobo is listed, and there are
> variations in results with SI controllers used on other boards. It
> looks like SI3112 and SI3114 controllers give good results on some
> motherboards and not on others.
>
> (The subject is kind of moot because, as of this date, the A8N SLI
> Deluxe seems to cost a few pence less than the A8N SLI, so I see no
> reason not to buy the Deluxe, but I'd still like to have the answer to
> the above questions if anyone knows.)
> Ron

I'm pretty sure that the NVIDIA SATA controller is supposed to work with
optical drives, but haven't tried..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada