A8N-SLI will not boot ??

Hi,

I just bought me a new mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI.
I installed it in an ATX case with a 20 pin power supply connector
(power supply 350V).
I installed an athlon 3500+ cpu and 2x512 DDR 400 on it.
I plugged in the 20pin and 4pin power supply connectors, powered it
on, my case led lights up, the green led (SB_PWR) on the mobo lights
up ...

BUT i can't boot the pc? If i push the power button, nothing happens.
I switched the PWRSW pins a couple of times on the system panel
connector > no effect...

Someone has an idea what can be wrong?
greetz,
Steve
6 answers Last reply
More about boot

    On 10 Feb 2005 17:17:28 -0500,
    steveclaeys@telenet-dot-be.no-spam.invalid (claeyss) wrote:

    My A8NSLI deluxe uses a 24 pin ATX connector. You need to get a 20pin
    to 24 pin adaptor. It is a good idea also to replace the PS with one
    with higher wattage output. I am running a Thermaltake 480 watt in
    mine. 2 x SATA (RAID), 1 x ATA hard drive, 2 DVD writers, floppy
    1x 6600 GT video card (can't afford 2nd yet) and 1 gig Corsair ram
    (512 x 2 matched pair)

    claeyss wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought me a new mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI.
    > I installed it in an ATX case with a 20 pin power supply connector
    > (power supply 350V).
    > I installed an athlon 3500+ cpu and 2x512 DDR 400 on it.
    > I plugged in the 20pin and 4pin power supply connectors

    Did you put the four pin right next to the 20 pin, or in the socket near
    the CPU? You need to do the last, because the first won't work.

    If that's in order, you may want to try a heftier PSU, because 350W is
    not much, certainly if it's not a quality PSU.

    In article <9tpn01dg7v1bbanqn9ik8fg1rkduffvjts@4ax.com>, Harry
    <harry_wz@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

    > On 10 Feb 2005 17:17:28 -0500,
    > steveclaeys@telenet-dot-be.no-spam.invalid (claeyss) wrote:
    >
    > My A8NSLI deluxe uses a 24 pin ATX connector. You need to get a 20pin
    > to 24 pin adaptor. It is a good idea also to replace the PS with one
    > with higher wattage output. I am running a Thermaltake 480 watt in
    > mine. 2 x SATA (RAID), 1 x ATA hard drive, 2 DVD writers, floppy
    > 1x 6600 GT video card (can't afford 2nd yet) and 1 gig Corsair ram
    > (512 x 2 matched pair)

    Using a 24 pin power plug is not absolutely essential. Of the
    extra four pins, one pin is a +12V pin, and it is used to supply
    power to the video card(s). The A8N-SLI also has the EZplug, which
    is a disk drive power plug that feeds the video card(s). Between
    the one +12V pin present on the 20 pin portion of the power
    connector, and the one +12V pin present on the EZplug, that can
    pass up to 6+8amps = 14 amps to the two video cards. That is
    plenty to power two video cards.

    From some Asus promotional material:

    "Unlike the SLI solutions by other manufacturers, the
    EZ Plug supports the 20-pin standard, which is still
    currently the mainstream. Users who want to upgrade
    to the latest SLI platform, can save the extra cost on
    a 24-pin power plug."

    Are the fans spinning after you press the power button ?
    That means the PSU is getting the signal to start (PS_ON#).

    In this case, you need to connect three power connectors.
    The 20 pin ATX main cable, the 2x2 square +12V (processor
    power), and the EZPlug (video card power assist).

    This is how the powering works, based on what I've read.
    What I don't know, is if the EZplug comes with an interlock,
    to prevent the board from powering up if the red LED is lit.

    ATX 2x2 +12V ------------> Two power pins to ... Athlon64
    ------------> Vcore (16amps max) Processor

    (24th pin +12V wire) ------6amps max----+---+---VideoCard1
    (20th pin +12V wire) ------6amps max----+ +---VideoCard2
    | | (approx 5amps)
    (EZplug +12V wire) ------8amps max ---+ +---Fans
    (approx 1amp)

    If you use a 24 pin power connector, you have room to push
    12 amps right there. Enough for the load shown on the right
    of the diagram. But the Asus marketing material claims the
    shorter path from the EZPlug to the video cards helps. Inserting
    the 24 pin plus the EZPlug can only help.

    If you use a 20 pin power connector plus the EZPlug, you have
    room to push 14 amps (and the big "if" here, is whether an
    old power supply with a 20 pin connector, could actually be
    big enough to supply 20 amps or more for the total load in
    the computer). The manual has a section detailing total load,
    and it recommends some total amps on output for various configs.

    So, the combinations one more time:

    24pin + 2x2 processor power (theoretically enough)
    24pin + 2x2 processor power + EZplug (improved stability)
    20pin + 2x2 processor power + EZplug (good working combo)

    If you have a single low end PCI Express video card, you could
    try the following. Since the 20 pin ATX power only passes
    6 amps via one wire, you will need to find a review of your
    PCI Express video card on Xbitlabs, to find out exactly how
    much your card draws. The fans draw some current, leaving
    about 5 amps for your single low end graphics card.

    20pin + 2x2 processor power (lower end graphics only
    or at least be careful to
    research your total load)

    As for the PCI Express standard, I don't actually know what
    the amperage limit is for the video card edge connector. I
    think PCI Express has an overall 75 watt power limit for the
    slot, and that power will be split over the +3.3, +5, +12V
    and so on power pins on the edge connector. I think there was
    an article that stated the number of pins and how many amps
    each (like an amp per pin on the edge card), but cannot find
    it right now.

    HTH,
    Paul

    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I just bought me a new mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI.
    > >I installed it in an ATX case with a 20 pin power supply connector
    > >(power supply 350V).
    > >I installed an athlon 3500+ cpu and 2x512 DDR 400 on it.
    > >I plugged in the 20pin and 4pin power supply connectors, powered it
    > >on, my case led lights up, the green led (SB_PWR) on the mobo lights
    > >up ...
    > >
    > >BUT i can't boot the pc? If i push the power button, nothing happens.
    > >I switched the PWRSW pins a couple of times on the system panel
    > >connector > no effect...
    > >
    > >Someone has an idea what can be wrong?
    > >greetz,
    > >Steve

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:51:08 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    Thats really strange.....I tried running with only a 20 pin plug and
    my machine would not run....fans turned, led on motherboard lit up but
    thats it. It was a 430watt Enermax supply. I bought a new Thermaltake
    480 watt supply with the 24 pin adaptor. Installed that and had unit
    up and running. Ran for about 2 hours and died....replaced a faulty
    motherboard and its been running since without any problems. I never
    did try to run with just the 20 pin connector. I know, I know....you
    can buy just the adaptor, 20 to 24 but I wanted a new PS that had a
    higher output rating....

> [...]
    >and so on power pins on the edge connector. I think there was
    >an article that stated the number of pins and how many amps
    >each (like an amp per pin on the edge card), but cannot find
    >it right now.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul
    >

    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I just bought me a new mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI.
    >> >I installed it in an ATX case with a 20 pin power supply connector
    >> >(power supply 350V).
    >> >I installed an athlon 3500+ cpu and 2x512 DDR 400 on it.
    >> >I plugged in the 20pin and 4pin power supply connectors, powered it
    >> >on, my case led lights up, the green led (SB_PWR) on the mobo lights
    >> >up ...
    >> >
    >> >BUT i can't boot the pc? If i push the power button, nothing happens.
    >> >I switched the PWRSW pins a couple of times on the system panel

    OK,

    I am back again!

    Bought me a Tagan 480 PSU with a 24pins connector ...
    plugged it in ... everything works just fine.

    My friend bought the same config, and had the same problem.
    He also bought a PSU with a higher Amp and Volt > works fine too

    so the config just needs more juice to boot ...

    BUT i have another problem now:
    My new TAGAN psu has NO 3 pin cable to connect my case's LCD screen
    .... can i convert this with an adapter from HDD 4 pins to 3 pins?

    Or can i cut a unnused wire and connect it myself?

    greetz

    claeyss wrote:
    > My new TAGAN psu has NO 3 pin cable to connect my case's LCD screen
    > ... can i convert this with an adapter from HDD 4 pins to 3 pins?
    >
    > Or can i cut a unnused wire and connect it myself?

    It sort of depends on what sort of 3 cable you mean. I take it it's a
    fan-connector sort of thing. In that case, you can get a 4-pin molex to
    3-pin fan connector adapter, that should work just fine.

    I'd try to use an adapter or build your own adapter from spare parts
    (old PSU?) before cutting wires off of your new PSU. You could do that,
    but it would be a shame if the PSU failed next week and you couldn't
    have it replaced because of a custom mod on it.

Asus Power Supplies SLI Motherboards