A7V266-E and CPU upgrade question

Ed

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:30:19 -0800, "Richard K Rabbat"
<richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a A7v266-E, can this
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-103-342&DEPA=0
>CPU?
>
>It is a Thoroughbred Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB...
>
>Or am I wasting my money and should just do Motherboard and different CPU?
>
>Thank you

That board doesn't officially support a XP 333 FSB chip, it may run but
it will run slow.

Asus shows the Athlon XP 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) as the
fastest CPU supported on the A7V266-E (PCB 1.07 BIOS 1011)
http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Ed

Thus spake Richard K Rabbat:
> I have a A7v266-E, can this
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-103-342&DEPA=0
> CPU?
>
> It is a Thoroughbred Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB...
>
> Or am I wasting my money and should just do Motherboard and different
> CPU?

IMO, yes. Now is not the best time to upgrade with too many new technologies
coming to the fore. The A7V266-E will take an XP2400+ 266FSB part with v2 (I
think) of this board. Unless you're using something like an XP1500+ or
lower, you'll be wasting money even on the XP2400+.

You have a couple of options such as the obvious - go 64bit or get an
A7N8X-X/E with a mobile CPU & overclock it. Either will require good quality
PC3200 RAM. The mobile route will be cheaper but without the ability to run
a 64bit OS.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!